What ever happened to this Dim party?

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012

The last time the federal government balanced a budget was then. What ever happened to this type of thinking in government? Is it dead forever?

Republican politicians aren't interested in shrinking the size of government either. It's just a fake talking point they use to excite their base.

Budget? Wtf is a budget? They dont even budget anymore, its all done on continuing resolutions

Americans do not care about debt

We are fat and lazy and don't want to make the sacrifices to balance a budget. A balanced budget takes compromise.....something we don't tolerate in our politicians

The last time the federal government balanced a budget was then. What ever happened to this type of thinking in government? Is it dead forever?

That sort of thinking ended when the Republicans, and this president, took over in 2001.

This is what George W. Bush said in February 2001:

"...the growing surplus exists because taxes are too high and Government is charging more than it needs. The people of America have been overcharged, and on their behalf, I am here asking for a refund...."

Does anyone NOT see the folly of that belief?????

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=29643

/—-/ Balanced with smoke and mirrors.

Yup. And the so-called surplus was nothing more than ten-year projections that did not pan out.

The budget surpluses were annual and were real. You subtract the annual budget from the annual revenues and if the number is positive, it's a surplus.

From An American Requiem - God, My Father and the War that Came Between Us by James Carroll (prolific prominent Roman Catholic author).

Follow excerpt from page 17 says a lot about the Democrat party:

"The yard district was the home of Edward J.Kelly, the mayor and head of the Democratic Party machine ......
After the Capone syndicate was broken by the feds, Kelly's machine picked up the pieces.

The mob's lucrative vice industry continued, only now run out of police stations, ward offices, and city hall.
Beginning in the mid1930's, the Kelly machine raked in $20 million a year from illegal gambling alone."

That sort of thinking ended when the Republicans, and this president, took over in 2001.

"...the growing surplus exists because taxes are too high and Government is charging more than it needs. The people of America have been overcharged, and on their behalf, I am here asking for a refund...."

George W. Bush: Address Before a Joint Session of the Congress on Administration Goals

Of course conservatives don't get the above. They don't get that passing tax cuts because you have surpluses is a clear indication that you don't want to pay down the debt,

you want to increase it.

George W. Bush: Address Before a Joint Session of the Congress on Administration Goals

Of course conservatives don't get the above. They don't get that passing tax cuts because you have surpluses is a clear indication that you don't want to pay down the debt,

you want to increase it.

/—-/ Hey you big dope, the surplus is never used to pay down the debt. It’s squandered by politicians in both parties to secure their re-election

you want to increase it.

/—-/ Hey you big dope, the surplus is never used to pay down the debt. It’s squandered by politicians in both parties to secure their re-election

So your position is that it is mathematically impossible to pay down the debt?

you want to increase it.

/—-/ Are you an idiot? That is not my position. You can pay down the debt by cutting spending. Duhhhhhh

What ever happened to this Dim party?

3aee85eb9782028cb6e4e3209a5a18e1--star-trek-quotes-starship-enterprise.jpg

[

So your position is that it is mathematically impossible to pay down the debt?[/QUOTE]
/—-/ Are you an idiot? That is not my position. You can pay down the debt by cutting spending. Duhhhhhh[/QUOTE]

You just contradicted yourself. You previously said that the surplus is NEVER used to pay down the debt.

Now you're claiming that you can create a surplus that pays down the debt.

Which is it?

[

/—-/ Are you an idiot? That is not my position. You can pay down the debt by cutting spending. Duhhhhhh[/QUOTE]

You just contradicted yourself. You previously said that the surplus is NEVER used to pay down the debt.

Which is it?[/QUOTE]
/—-/ Actually I’m correct that spending cuts can reduce the debt but I never said our career corrupt politicians would do it. For Dems and Republicans it’s spend spend spend

[

/—-/ Are you an idiot? That is not my position. You can pay down the debt by cutting spending. Duhhhhhh

Which is it?[/QUOTE]
/—-/ Actually I’m correct that spending cuts can reduce the debt but I never said our career corrupt politicians would do it. For Dems and Republicans it’s spend spend spend[/QUOTE]

For a decade in the 90's they couldn't do it because they had tied their own hands with PAYGO. PAYGO required tax cuts to be matched with spending cuts, spending increases to be matched with higher taxes or spending cuts elsewhere.
That largely contributed to the eventual budget surpluses at the end of the decade.

The GOP, once in power, let PAYGO expire.

Republican politicians aren't interested in shrinking the size of government either. It's just a fake talking point they use to excite their base.

The GOP Congress and Clinton helped balance the budget.

Why I don't know.

Forum List

Back