What brand Vehicle do you have

WHat Vehicle(s) do you own

• Total voters
That's the uglist thing I've ever seen, next to a Ford Pinto!
With a better paint job and some nice wheels it turned out to be a nice looking ride.
mmfp_0809_08_z+1989_ford_mustang_gt+with_destiny_monique_right_side.jpg

1979 was the first year of the Fox chassis in the Mustang which was an excellent design, and began the start of getting the car back into a performance platform. I had an 85 TBird that had an extended version of this chassis, along with the rear "quad shock" suspension, and with a few minor tweaks could corner at 0.88G. I had a friend with a Beemer back then and he dreaded finding me in his rear view mirror.

I can agree that the 79 was the begining of the Mustangs comeback, but it had a long way to go, especially considering where it was coming from:

The 1978 Ford Pinto...I mean Mustang II Notchback:

100_0709.jpg

And what it was up against.

The 1979 Pontiac Firebird:

90329984_1.jpg

The 1981 Camaro Sport:

2560950123_96d38c0583.jpg

The 1983 Trans-Am:

83_Trans_Am.jpg

Last edited:
I can agree that the 79 was the begining of the Mustangs comeback, but it had a long way to go, especially considering where it was coming from:

The 1978 Ford Pinto...I mean Mustang II Notchback:

And what it was up against.

The 1979 Pontiac Firebird:

The 1981 Camaro Sport:

The 1983 Trans-Am:
[/IMG]

Yeah the Pinto-Mustang was an abomination. It was an attempt to make the Mustang into an economy car. Remeber tis was developed after the '73 and '78 oil embargoes. My sister had one though, and aside from the ridiculous proportions and lack or power it was a good handling vehicle.

No fair to compare it to the later (and much larger) GM platform. Those vehicles had a huge amount of chassis flex compared to the Fox chassis Mustang of the same era. I drove a friends once, '85 Camaro, and although it would go fast in a straight line when you cranked the wheel and hit the gas the rear end would hop all over. My TBird (same year) was not nearly as fast but if the road got curvy and especially bumpy he'd get real small in my rear view.

And before you give American Motors the heave-ho, keep in mind that just prior to giving us the Pacer and the Gremlin, they also produced one of the prettiest, beefiest and most overlooked muscle cars of the era....the AMC Javelin:

116_0502_01_z+amc_build+1970_amc_javelin.jpg

And before you give American Motors the heave-ho, keep in mind that just prior to giving us the Pacer and the Gremlin, they also produced one of the prettiest, beefiest and most overlooked muscle cars of the era....the AMC Javelin:

116_0502_01_z+amc_build+1970_amc_javelin.jpg
My neighbor had one of those in yellow. That was the best looking car of that era no doubt. That grill seemed to go in about 6 feet deep. I loved that car. :(

Yeah the Pinto-Mustang was an abomination. It was an attempt to make the Mustang into an economy car. Remeber tis was developed after the '73 and '78 oil embargoes. My sister had one though, and aside from the ridiculous proportions and lack or power it was a good handling vehicle.

No fair to compare it to the later (and much larger) GM platform. Those vehicles had a huge amount of chassis flex compared to the Fox chassis Mustang of the same era. I drove a friends once, '85 Camaro, and although it would go fast in a straight line when you cranked the wheel and hit the gas the rear end would hop all over. My TBird (same year) was not nearly as fast but if the road got curvy and especially bumpy he'd get real small in my rear view.

I had a '78 Cougar XR7...man that car could fly...it was so long the front and rear bumpers never shared a zip code. Thunderbirds/Cougars have always been my favorites of the FoMoCo muscle cars.

!978 Cougar XR7:

1089862658_547583cb4b.jpg

1972 Cougar XR7:

72cougar.jpg

I had a '78 Cougar XR7...man that car could fly...it was so long the front and rear bumpers never shared a zip code. Thunderbirds/Cougars have always been my favorites of the FoMoCo muscle cars.

!978 Cougar XR7:

1972 Cougar XR7:

I liked the '72, as it was the same chassis as the Mustang. My uncle had one with a 429 or 428 (I forget which). He used to pull in for gas and ask the attendant to check the oil, then get out of the car and laugh at the reaction when the guy opened the hood. The engine was stuffed in there like Pamela Anderson in a bathing suit.

The 78 was indeed a fine looking car but it was, as I recall, based on the "A" chassis, which was a huge body on frame shared with the full sized Ford LTD, which most of the younger posters here might recognize as the later Crown Victoria or its sister Mercury Marquis.

I liked the '72, as it was the same chassis as the Mustang. My uncle had one with a 429 or 428 (I forget which). He used to pull in for gas and ask the attendant to check the oil, then get out of the car and laugh at the reaction when the guy opened the hood. The engine was stuffed in there like Pamela Anderson in a bathing suit.

LOL, I can imagine their surprise...they are beautiful cars.

The 78 was indeed a fine looking car but it was, as I recall, based on the "A" chassis, which was a huge body on frame shared with the full sized Ford LTD, which most of the younger posters here might recognize as the later Crown Victoria or its sister Mercury Marquis.

That's right, they shared the LTD and Torino chassis. With the factory 400 they had just the right blend of muscle car beef and luxury car comfort.

Throw in a pic of the 1970 Ford Torino GT:

Ford_Torino_GT_1970_01.jpg

Sorry Dive, we kinda Hijacked your thread.

98d1158920230-kindergartens-oerlikon-zurich-hijack.gif
no biggie, i'm not a thread nazi that has to have total control, like some are

this happens a lot
and its still staying with the topic of what car do you drive
its interesting to see who drives what

LOL, I can imagine their surprise...they are beautiful cars.

That's right, they shared the LTD and Torino chassis. With the factory 400 they had just the right blend of muscle car beef and luxury car comfort.

Throw in a pic of the 1970 Ford Torino GT:

Ford_Torino_GT_1970_01.jpg

I had a '72 LTD that would go hit the pin after the 120mph mark and keep accelerating. And that was only a small block 351W. One valve overhaul, annual bolt re-torquing and carb rebuilds, 6000 mile oil changes and tune ups, and it served me well for 185K miles. After the valve job it never burned or dripped oil, and when the EPA smog tests came to be it scored a zero (and I had removed the smog pump).

Forum List

Back