It's That Time of Year-What I'm Thankful For...

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Pretty much inspired by the 'best present' thread, after reading a post by Gigi and knowing the way I feel about those loved and lost, thought it might be an upper to think of what we do have:

* my three children, now adults. Best things that ever happened to me.
* having had parents that knew how to parent and passed at least some of their skills onto my brother and I. I miss them dearly, but they will never be gone while their descendants are around.
* having a job I truly love, it makes me a better person.
* my relationships with students, current and past. Dang there are so many!
* Friends, real most of all; but online have a special place in my heart, too.
* technology, for enriching my life and my teaching.
* my home, humble though it is, warm and mine.
* God given abilities, no I'll not list them. :lol:

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
We found an Adult Family Care center for my low functioning autistic child. They are wonderfuly people. Yeah, they supported Barach, but we were able to have discussions without them deteriorating into fights. That means a lot to me. Being able to express different viewpoints without losing respect on either side. They are good people. They already have two boys from my son's transition class living there and one of them can talk and says how much he likes it there.

We are planning on putting him there in January and we are transitioning him now. I'm very thankful that for the first time in 24 years, I'll be able to take a 2 week vacation, forget about the fact that I don't have the money, just knowing I can do it has taken a great burden off my shoulders. Now it's time to start saving up.

We found an Adult Family Care center for my low functioning autistic child. They are wonderfuly people. Yeah, they supported Barach, but we were able to have discussions without them deteriorating into fights. That means a lot to me. Being able to express different viewpoints without losing respect on either side. They are good people. They already have two boys from my son's transition class living there and one of them can talk and says how much he likes it there.

We are planning on putting him there in January and we are transitioning him now. I'm very thankful that for the first time in 24 years, I'll be able to take a 2 week vacation, forget about the fact that I don't have the money, just knowing I can do it has taken a great burden off my shoulders. Now it's time to start saving up.

I admire you AS, as it's got to be so hard to 'let go', regardless of the relief. My parents had my older down's sister institutionalized from infancy. When more was known, they had her moved to sheltered care. It was the best thing for her and my brother and I. In all seriousness, I'm sure I caused lots of grief to my parents beginning in middle school, when I accused them of not loving their less than perfect first child. I wanted her home!

I came to see how it was better for her and certainly my brother and I as young children, that she was not at home. I can't imagine how my parents would have coped with her as an adult, while they were getting older. She had so many health issues and she was so happy where she was!

I need to give kudos to Crayola, her employer for over 20 years, until she became too sick. While they could only pay her a minimal wage, due to being a ward of the state and receiving social security, they donated the remainder of what they considered a 'fair wage' to the association of retarded citizens every year. When she died, their's was the largest floral arrangement received, in fact the only one outside of family.

I admire you AS, as it's got to be so hard to 'let go', regardless of the relief. My parents had my older down's sister institutionalized from infancy. When more was known, they had her moved to sheltered care. It was the best thing for her and my brother and I. In all seriousness, I'm sure I caused lots of grief to my parents beginning in middle school, when I accused them of not loving their less than perfect first child. I wanted her home!

I came to see how it was better for her and certainly my brother and I as young children, that she was not at home. I can't imagine how my parents would have coped with her as an adult, while they were getting older. She had so many health issues and she was so happy where she was!

I need to give kudos to Crayola, her employer for over 20 years, until she became too sick. While they could only pay her a minimal wage, due to being a ward of the state and receiving social security, they donated the remainder of what they considered a 'fair wage' to the association of retarded citizens every year. When she died, their's was the largest floral arrangement received, in fact the only one outside of family.

Don't worry, we aren't abandoning my son. We are transitioning him. Even when he moves in january, we will still have him here 4 days a week except for if we decide to go somewhere. We want him to have a place to be comfortable in just in case something happens to us. We've already made arrangements with my nephew to be the back up guardian so now we need to start the paperwork. I want him to be taken care of even after we are gone.

Plus, with that home, I can go back to work. I'm going to seriously start looking for a job in January.

Crayola sounds like a great company. My son works at a factory in Kent and he gets paid in proportion to the work he does. He spends about 3 hours a day there and he loves it. He made $90 last month. He doesn't do it for the money though, I don't think he understands money yet. But he enjoys working and having something to do. I think this home will be the best thing for him. It's also taking a lot of the burden off of my shoulders. As I said, these people are great people. I know he'll be in a good place when he's there.

Don't worry, we aren't abandoning my son. We are transitioning him. Even when he moves in january, we will still have him here 4 days a week except for if we decide to go somewhere. We want him to have a place to be comfortable in just in case something happens to us. We've already made arrangements with my nephew to be the back up guardian so now we need to start the paperwork. I want him to be taken care of even after we are gone.

Plus, with that home, I can go back to work. I'm going to seriously start looking for a job in January.

Crayola sounds like a great company. My son works at a factory in Kent and he gets paid in proportion to the work he does. He spends about 3 hours a day there and he loves it. He made $90 last month. He doesn't do it for the money though, I don't think he understands money yet. But he enjoys working and having something to do. I think this home will be the best thing for him. It's also taking a lot of the burden off of my shoulders. As I said, these people are great people. I know he'll be in a good place when he's there.
Again, kudos for being realistic and caring. My parents never 'abandoned' my sister, though they never brought her home, following the advice of my mom's sister and her doctors. My parents spent the first 6 years of her life, being with her as much as possible, first in a caretaker's home, later in an institution. Then I was born. The visits were limited to weekends then, I and later my brother with sitters. I 'found out' about my sister when I was 7. She then 14. I cried and cried, I always had wanted a sister, not my pesky brother. Thinking about it, I probably added to their guilt earlier than middle school, but it was at that point, when I was in school with down's kids included, that I really started hounding my folks. Of course, this really was pretty cutting edge, Down's kids in gym, home ec in the late 60's.

It took my best friend's father, who suffered from serious depression, to explain the cost on siblings of a seriously disabled child. His brother was more or less a 'vegetable' due to childhood illness. His health was fragile, though he lived into his 70's! The parents attention was always directed to to sick one, who also had periods of violent outbursts. No friends could come over. No help was available for school. Parents were not involved in the other children's activities. I and I guess my folks were lucky that he overheard one of my rants to my friend about my sister. He brought us both into the living room and told us what was what. Both of us in tears, for myself and this very nice man and a lost childhood. He made me realize what sacrifices my parents had made, at cost to themselves.

After that, I learned sign language so I could converse with my sister, (totally deaf, she got the worst of all the gene pool problems). I sat down with my mom and told her what Mr. J had told my friend C and I. I apologized for the hurt I knew I caused. I think I was in sophomore year of hs. From that point on, my sister was included in all holidays and family celebrations. She stood up in my wedding and adored each baby of my brother and I, though she would slap at them for touching anything of hers, even if they were just toddlers. (Bringing home again, how lucky my brother and I were that she was not at home when we were that age.)

Good Luck to you and and your son, Sheila. Hope it works out for everyone.

Life can change in a moment. I am thankful that my family are healthy and happy.

Around this time of year, lots of people get blue because reality does not match expectations. Give thanks for what you have and this will go a long way in making you feel happier.

True friends are hard to come by and this has been the source of some of my sadness. I've come to learn that I must have realistic expectations...

Happy Turkey Day! -- Even though we won't be having turkey that day!

Good Luck to you and and your son, Sheila. Hope it works out for everyone.

Life can change in a moment. I am thankful that my family are healthy and happy.

Around this time of year, lots of people get blue because reality does not match expectations. Give thanks for what you have and this will go a long way in making you feel happier.

True friends are hard to come by and this has been the source of some of my sadness. I've come to learn that I must have realistic expectations...

Happy Turkey Day! -- Even though we won't be having turkey that day!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PoliticalChic again.

I probably missed it, what are you having instead of turkey?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PoliticalChic again.

I probably missed it, what are you having instead of turkey?

LOL! Time to change that reputation rule!

No, I never mentioned it. One of our relatives have offered to smoke a few ducks. So we'll be having ducks that night with all the usual sides. I hope the kids don't protest. They always look forward to the turkey because it is traditional. So I hope they don't go into shock! LOL!

No, I never mentioned it. One of our relatives have offered to smoke a few ducks. So we'll be having ducks that night with all the usual sides. I hope the kids don't protest. They always look forward to the turkey because it is traditional. So I hope they don't go into shock! LOL!

Hey, ducks are birds, that should be all that matters.

We're having both Turkey AND ham. For six people. Geez, we're gonna be eating left over Turkey FOREVER!

Definition of eternity: 2 people and a 20 pound turkey

Hey, ducks are birds, that should be all that matters.

We're having both Turkey AND ham. For six people. Geez, we're gonna be eating left over Turkey FOREVER!

Definition of eternity: 2 people and a 20 pound turkey

Hope you like turkey and have plenty of leftover recipes! LOL! I love ham, especially ones with maple syrup. YUM.

Again, kudos for being realistic and caring. My parents never 'abandoned' my sister, though they never brought her home, following the advice of my mom's sister and her doctors. My parents spent the first 6 years of her life, being with her as much as possible, first in a caretaker's home, later in an institution. Then I was born. The visits were limited to weekends then, I and later my brother with sitters. I 'found out' about my sister when I was 7. She then 14. I cried and cried, I always had wanted a sister, not my pesky brother. Thinking about it, I probably added to their guilt earlier than middle school, but it was at that point, when I was in school with down's kids included, that I really started hounding my folks. Of course, this really was pretty cutting edge, Down's kids in gym, home ec in the late 60's.

It took my best friend's father, who suffered from serious depression, to explain the cost on siblings of a seriously disabled child. His brother was more or less a 'vegetable' due to childhood illness. His health was fragile, though he lived into his 70's! The parents attention was always directed to to sick one, who also had periods of violent outbursts. No friends could come over. No help was available for school. Parents were not involved in the other children's activities. I and I guess my folks were lucky that he overheard one of my rants to my friend about my sister. He brought us both into the living room and told us what was what. Both of us in tears, for myself and this very nice man and a lost childhood. He made me realize what sacrifices my parents had made, at cost to themselves.

After that, I learned sign language so I could converse with my sister, (totally deaf, she got the worst of all the gene pool problems). I sat down with my mom and told her what Mr. J had told my friend C and I. I apologized for the hurt I knew I caused. I think I was in sophomore year of hs. From that point on, my sister was included in all holidays and family celebrations. She stood up in my wedding and adored each baby of my brother and I, though she would slap at them for touching anything of hers, even if they were just toddlers. (Bringing home again, how lucky my brother and I were that she was not at home when we were that age.)

In your parents day, it was probably more common to put them in institutions and they were probably encouraged by their doctors and social workers to do so. Plus, it is difficult having siblings with special needs. My oldest son is high functioning autism and he's always felt robbed because he could never play with his younger brother, or even have a conversation with him.

My oldest is 24 and is only now starting to treat his younger brother with respect.

I love duck! As long as crispy and not greasy. I'm jealous.

~Happy Thanksgiving To You Too~

Againsheila - prayers and thoughts for you, your family and your son. It is so nice that he will be "home" during the holidays. Will he be able to come home for special occasions after the goes to care center? And hopefully it is close to your home. God Bless.

As far as our family .... we are having a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner, with all of the fixin's. Some of it will be - Turkey, Ham, candied yams, baked beans, "Grandma's (not me) special Green Beans cooked the "southern way", pies, pies, pies .... only pie that I have am not going to make is my hubbies favorite "Mincemeat" .. I think I will have to hit up Marie Calendar's for that one! Ewwwww :( lol

But the best part is that our kids and grandkids will be hear from Washington State. We have not had the entire family together for several years for "this holiday" it will be great to have them all home, so they can decorated our Christmas Tree! :eusa_shhh: They do not know they are going to do that, yet. :lol:

-I'm thankful to be "home" for the first time in eight years for the holidays.

-I'm thankful to have a nice home, with a big "garage"... :lol:

-I'm thankful for what I have and I'm not worried about what I don't have.

-I'm thankful for being in good health, and two parents, although getting quite old, that are both still in good health too.

-I give these thanks to my Lord God Jesus Christ... Amen.

-I'm thankful to be "home" for the first time in eight years for the holidays.

-I'm thankful to have a nice home, with a big "garage"... :lol:

-I'm thankful for what I have and I'm not worried about what I don't have.

-I'm thankful for being in good health, and two parents, although getting quite old, that are both still in good health too.

-I give these thanks to my Lord God Jesus Christ... Amen.

Amen. Being able to appreciate what you have is so important to happiness. It's the people who are always trying to keep up with their friends or neighbors who will never be happy.

Amen. Being able to appreciate what you have is so important to happiness. It's the people who are always trying to keep up with their friends or neighbors who will never be happy.

Very true. Of course I have a long laundry list of things I'd "like" to have, but I have to stop and think about what I DO have, and all the people that are less fortunate than I, and it all comes into perspective.

You live in Easton, PA?

My mother worked for Binney and Smith for a number of years,.

I think working around all that wax and powerful dyes killed her, to be honest.

She had a lung disease they couldn't ever really identify.

You live in Easton, PA?

My mother worked for Binney and Smith for a number of years,.

I think working around all that wax and powerful dyes killed her, to be honest.

She had a lung disease they couldn't ever really identify.

Kathy lives in Chicago.

God Bless all of you* Listening to your stories makes me want to give each of you a hug.

I'm pretty thankful I met a group of very nice people on a message board in the great wide internet.

It's funny.....I am not lacking in people in my life. I have lovely friends, family and children....

But I spend a lot of time on the computer updating websites when I'm not out there working. And over the years I've been part of various message boards from politics to real estate and one ever that was part of a tv show. I guess I've always liked the written word and debating or discussing opinion...

but i have to say that this message board is by far the best I have ever been on. It's run in a manner where I don't feel like a child that needs scolding if I say one wrong word. There is freedom to express like no other message board and I love the wide variety of people I've met in here. Lots of humor, intelligence, depth and warmth.

So this year I give my thanks to all of you*

God Bless all of you* Listening to your stories makes me want to give each of you a hug.

I'm pretty thankful I met a group of very nice people on a message board in the great wide internet.

It's funny.....I am not lacking in people in my life. I have lovely friends, family and children....

But I spend a lot of time on the computer updating websites when I'm not out there working. And over the years I've been part of various message boards from politics to real estate and one ever that was part of a tv show. I guess I've always liked the written word and debating or discussing opinion...

but i have to say that this message board is by far the best I have ever been on. It's run in a manner where I don't feel like a child that needs scolding if I say one wrong word. There is freedom to express like no other message board and I love the wide variety of people I've met in here. Lots of humor, intelligence, depth and warmth.

So this year I give my thanks to all of you*

HOORAY! :clap2:

Forum List

Back