For truckers driving EVs, there’s no going back

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
The more people are exposed to EVs the more they like them. As more talk radio junkie truck drivers start loving EV trucks, they will start to ask themselves "What else are these rightwing talkers lying to me about?".

Gary LaBush remembers the first time he sat behind the wheel of an electric Ford e-transit delivery truck at the Frito-Lay distribution center in Queens. Like most first-time EV truck drivers, LaBush wondered if the vehicle was actually on. “I was like, ‘What’s going on?’” he recalled. “There was no noise — and no fumes.”

Now, LaBush trains other drivers on how to operate a fleet of 40 delivery trucks at the Frito-Lay facility. The 49-year-old, who has worked at the company for over two decades, said he would struggle if he had to return to gas. “I wouldn’t want to do it,” he said. “After being in this — it’s just night and day.”

LaBush belongs to a small but growing group of commercial medium-to-heavy-duty truck drivers who use electric trucks. These drivers — many of whom operate local or regional routes that don’t require hundreds of miles on the road in a day — generally welcome the transition to electric, praising their new trucks’ handling, acceleration, smoothness and quiet operation.

But some companies and trucking associations worry this shift, spurred in part by a California law mandating a switch to electric or emissions-free trucks by 2042, is happening too fast. While electric trucks might work well in some cases, they argue, the upfront costs of the vehicles and their charging infrastructure are often too heavy a lift.

For the United States to meet its climate goals, virtually all trucks must be zero-emissions by 2050. While trucks are only 4 percent of the vehicles on the road, they make up almost a quarter of the country’s transportation emissions.

On most of America’s roads, electric trucks are an anomaly. According to an Environmental Defense Fund analysis of the nation’s 12.2 million truck fleet, there are almost 13,000 electric trucks — which can be defined as Class 2B to Class 8 vehicles, or anything from a step-up van to a large tractor-trailer — on the road today. Around 10,000 of those trucks were just put on the road in 2023, up from 2,000 the year before.

The more people are exposed to EVs the more they like them. As more talk radio junkie truck drivers start loving EV trucks, they will start to ask themselves "What else are these rightwing talkers lying to me about?".

Gary LaBush remembers the first time he sat behind the wheel of an electric Ford e-transit delivery truck at the Frito-Lay distribution center in Queens. Like most first-time EV truck drivers, LaBush wondered if the vehicle was actually on. “I was like, ‘What’s going on?’” he recalled. “There was no noise — and no fumes.”

Now, LaBush trains other drivers on how to operate a fleet of 40 delivery trucks at the Frito-Lay facility. The 49-year-old, who has worked at the company for over two decades, said he would struggle if he had to return to gas. “I wouldn’t want to do it,” he said. “After being in this — it’s just night and day.”

LaBush belongs to a small but growing group of commercial medium-to-heavy-duty truck drivers who use electric trucks. These drivers — many of whom operate local or regional routes that don’t require hundreds of miles on the road in a day — generally welcome the transition to electric, praising their new trucks’ handling, acceleration, smoothness and quiet operation.

But some companies and trucking associations worry this shift, spurred in part by a California law mandating a switch to electric or emissions-free trucks by 2042, is happening too fast. While electric trucks might work well in some cases, they argue, the upfront costs of the vehicles and their charging infrastructure are often too heavy a lift.

For the United States to meet its climate goals, virtually all trucks must be zero-emissions by 2050. While trucks are only 4 percent of the vehicles on the road, they make up almost a quarter of the country’s transportation emissions.

On most of America’s roads, electric trucks are an anomaly. According to an Environmental Defense Fund analysis of the nation’s 12.2 million truck fleet, there are almost 13,000 electric trucks — which can be defined as Class 2B to Class 8 vehicles, or anything from a step-up van to a large tractor-trailer — on the road today. Around 10,000 of those trucks were just put on the road in 2023, up from 2,000 the year before.
If some people prefer EVs and are willing to pay for them without a government subsidy I dont mind

But greenies want other Americans to pay for their toys

And they want to ban ICE autos which removes my choice

Last edited:
In other news, these trucks, with a range of 200 miles, have to shut down and recharge often, making it a lot more expensive to get in and out of California, due to its insane laws requiring all electric fleets soon. they're idiots.

So 200 miles might be 4hrs of driving , truckers paid by the mile are not paid to sit @ charging stations.....~S~

So 200 miles might be 4hrs of driving , truckers paid by the mile are not paid to sit @ charging stations.....~S~

Under loads they won;t make 200 miles, they will have to stop sooner, and good luck putting stations every 200 miles anyway.

I'll have to give a shout-out to Andy, our ex FedX driver who loved driving his old noisy diesel delivery van, and for good reason. When his FedEx depot in Ventura got their first lot of the EV trucks he said every driver was excited to be issued one. That lasted about a month. All of them were soon parked with battery issues. Staring at the battery charge rate gauge wasn't only annoying, but made the drivers anxious, especially when driving the 35 mile coastal corridor between Ventura and Santa Barbara. Not knowing if you would be stuck on the freeway during the never ending construction zone brought on the anxiety whether driving West in the morning or East at the end of the day because on some days the traffic jammed up. A normal day the drive would take 40 minutes. Other days it could be an hour and half.

Until the EV trucks get their battery reliability issues ironed out, I would rather drive the tried and true ICE delivery truck.

In other news, these trucks, with a range of 200 miles, have to shut down and recharge often, making it a lot more expensive to get in and out of California, due to its insane laws requiring all electric fleets soon. they're idiots.

The trucks in the OP are delivery trucks, not long-haul trucks. Frito-Lay trucks aren't going more than 200 miles per day.

DudleySmith vid has no bearing on short haul couriers, vs. OTR trucker. The title is f
Disengengeuos at best

I said it was other news. But, the same principles will apply. EVs are much heavier at 'big truck' levels as well and the weights cut into hauling loads, i.e. over 5.000 pounds difference out of 80,000 is over 6%, which adds up over a year of hauling, not including 'down time' for recharging.

Forum List

Back