Warm Bagels and Heavy Winds

Just delivered a carfull of coats and blankets to the Salvation Army that will forward them on to the East Coast for those who aren't just hanging on at home there, but for those who have no homes now. Wish we could bottle some gasoline for all the folks stranded at gas stations. I know what it is like to not have power for three days, but for us we were prepared with plenty of drinking and cooking water, plenty of firewood for a wood stove, and plenty of fuel for the Coleman lanterns. I can't imagine being ina city apartment with no way to heat, cook, boil water, and dealing with a clogged transit system to boot. And multiply that by hundreds of thousands and I hope there are enough positive vibes and prayers to deal with it.

On a brighter note, I was just watching the news commenting on what happened to the multitude of rats in the NY subway system. The theory is, the water came in so fast that even though the rats are excellent swimmers, most drowned. So they're hoping there won't be a huge surge in the rat population above ground.

On a brighter note, I was just watching the news commenting on what happened to the multitude of rats in the NY subway system. The theory is, the water came in so fast that even though the rats are excellent swimmers, most drowned. So they're hoping there won't be a huge surge in the rat population above ground.

colin sent me an article about that. lol. nasty little buggers. they're probably living in basements all over the city now.

Just delivered a carfull of coats and blankets to the Salvation Army that will forward them on to the East Coast for those who aren't just hanging on at home there, but for those who have no homes now. Wish we could bottle some gasoline for all the folks stranded at gas stations. I know what it is like to not have power for three days, but for us we were prepared with plenty of drinking and cooking water, plenty of firewood for a wood stove, and plenty of fuel for the Coleman lanterns. I can't imagine being ina city apartment with no way to heat, cook, boil water, and dealing with a clogged transit system to boot. And multiply that by hundreds of thousands and I hope there are enough positive vibes and prayers to deal with it.

i was just telling syrenn that the one thing i really need right now is gasoline. i have a half tank but it took me 2 1/2 hours to go to work today and yesterday so that isn't going to last long.

i think tomorrow i'll take the bus and train.

i hate trains.

colin sent me an article about that. lol. nasty little buggers. they're probably living in basements all over the city now.

Taste like chicken...? :dunno:

I keeed. :D

i was just telling syrenn that the one thing i really need right now is gasoline. i have a half tank but it took me 2 1/2 hours to go to work today and yesterday so that isn't going to last long.

i hate trains.

You're lucky you live where one is running though. In so many places, the trains still aren't running. I was watching earlier the thousands and thousands of people standing in line hoping to get on a bus.

After Wilma and the long gas lines and no grocery restocking (I had no power for 2 weeks) the Florida legislature finally did something right. They made it mandatory that certain gas stations have an alternative source of energy for these events.

I don't see New York going that way though unless hurricanes become common.

The best day I had in those two weeks was week #2 when my brother drove down from Orlando with gas cans full of gas.

You can be just as prepared to survive in a apartment anywhere else....

Cooking and boiling water is easy...... its called a mister stove. Its small, portable and runs on propane.

You don't have to have old style kerosine lanterns... they make them with batteries now... and they are great!

Ive given this stuff as gifts for years to my SIL in NYC..... my guess she scoffed when she got it... perhaps has thrown it out..... but its the kind of stuff that everyone should have for emergency's. So apartment dwellers have no excuse not to be prepared.

mrstove.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Bar-B-Q-90004-Portable-Butane/dp/B000E58GB6]Amazon.com: Portable Butane Stove: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

lantern.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Family-Size-LED-Lantern/dp/B00168QAGS/ref=sr_1_18?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1351793628&sr=1-18&keywords=battery+lantern]Amazon.com: Coleman 8D Family Size LED Lantern: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

i hate trains.

cant you just work from home? And get a gas can!

Last edited:

i hate trains.

cant you just work from home?

Contrary to popular USMB rightwingnut belief, she really does have to regularly appear in the courtroom... :lol:

Cooking and boiling water is easy...... its called a mister stove. Its small, portable and runs on propane.

You don't have to have old style kerosine lanterns... they make them with batteries now... and they are great!

Ive given this stuff as gifts for years to my SIL in NYC..... my guess she scoffed when she got it... perhaps has thrown it out..... but its the kind of stuff that everyone should have for emergency's. So apartment dwellers have no excuse not to be prepared.

mrstove.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Bar-B-Q-90004-Portable-Butane/dp/B000E58GB6]Amazon.com: Portable Butane Stove: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

lantern.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Family-Size-LED-Lantern/dp/B00168QAGS/ref=sr_1_18?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1351793628&sr=1-18&keywords=battery+lantern]Amazon.com: Coleman 8D Family Size LED Lantern: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Yes, but back when we had to cope with snow measured in several feet and power outages, they didn't have the terrific LED batteries they have now. But Coleman lanterns and stoves--we did have plenty of propane for the stove--served us nicely. And we also had a Strader insert in the fireplace that put out enough of wood fueled heat to heat the whole house and keep pipes from freezing etc. (The furnacve was on propame but ignited with electricity so when the power was out, no heat.) But few New York apartments have fireplaces. I also picture those living ten or more stories up having to do that without elevators until power is restored.

i hate trains.

cant you just work from home?

Contrary to popular USMB rightwingnut belief, she really does have to regularly appear in the courtroom... :lol:

Time to start working for a world class firm with perks then!!! :tongue:

mrstove.jpg

lantern.jpg

In an apartment, unless she has the ability to open windows or get some sort of ventilation, I wouldn't recommend using those. Although propane burns relatively cleanly, it's still an incomplete combustion, meaning CO (carbon monoxide) would be generated. I don't know if the amount would be all that significant for short periods of use, but for prolonged - no...big no - unless there is ventilation.

Just what I would do to be prudent.

i hate trains.

Do you own a boat? Is there gas in those tanks to siphon? My husband always filled the boats tanks up before a hurricane . After opal we went weeks without gas supplies, good thinkg I was in good enough shape to ride my bike, we missed the power and the ability to clink icein our drinks. . My son and DIL went through Hugo in Charleston, they were way worse off than we were so they packed up the babies and drove them all the way over here and left them and then filled up their back seat with bread and milk and ice. So do you know of anybody anywhere near you who can bring you stuff? I know it's miserable now but hang in there you guys, it will slowly return to function. :)

After Wilma and the long gas lines and no grocery restocking (I had no power for 2 weeks) the Florida legislature finally did something right. They made it mandatory that certain gas stations have an alternative source of energy for these events.

I don't see New York going that way though unless hurricanes become common.

The best day I had in those two weeks was week #2 when my brother drove down from Orlando with gas cans full of gas.

I did that for my parents after Charley. I surprised them with gas and two window a/c units.

mrstove.jpg

lantern.jpg

In an apartment, unless she has the ability to open windows or get some sort of ventilation, I wouldn't recommend using those. Although propane burns relatively cleanly, it's still an incomplete combustion, meaning CO (carbon monoxide) would be generated. I don't know if the amount would be all that significant for short periods of use, but for prolonged - no...big no - unless there is ventilation.

Just what I would do to be prudent.

Right. We exercised due prudence. You need very little extra ventilation with a coleman lantern but set the lantern near the hearth and the chimney quite nicely expels any residual fumes. You need a LOT with a Coleman stove though so we did our cooking in the garage with the garage door open. In an apartment you would have to be near an open window or on the balcony.

Forum List

Back