Warm Bagels and Heavy Winds

Or better yet, albeit at a much heftier price:

Goal Zero Yeti 1250 Solar Generator
9b34da15-9e00-4637-8f1a-66846d282c38.jpg

Goal Zero Yeti 1250 Solar Generator at REI.com

I just googled around for reviews on this but they are few and far between. If it really works I would buy one in a heartbeat!

I'm going to buy one too! I just found that in doing some research recently... Found the same one at Hammacher Schlemmer and theirs comes with 2 solar panels included (at a higher price of course). I love the idea of it being silent and not needing fuel! Plus, you could use it all the time and it would eventually pay for itself!

The Solar Power Generator - Hammacher Schlemmer

One of our friends got flooded that I know of. I haven't yet heard from two of my closest friends who are in zone A. My brother in Hoboken has no power. Neither does the family in manalapan. And we are afraid to find out about the shore house.
I am SO glad you are okay. Here's to hoping your friends are as well and the shore house survived the storm.

My friend on the island is ok. They lost their car and the bottom of their house was flooded. I still haven't heard from my friend near the beach. My brother relocated to a hotel in the city. Still haven't checked the house on the shore b/c no one has gone down there yet.

And it took me over two hours to travel the 10 miles to work today.

:eek:

did you drive or take public?

Or better yet, albeit at a much heftier price:

Goal Zero Yeti 1250 Solar Generator
9b34da15-9e00-4637-8f1a-66846d282c38.jpg

Goal Zero Yeti 1250 Solar Generator at REI.com

I just googled around for reviews on this but they are few and far between. If it really works I would buy one in a heartbeat!

I'm going to buy one too! I just found that in doing some research recently... Found the same one at Hammacher Schlemmer and theirs comes with 2 solar panels included (at a higher price of course). I love the idea of it being silent and not needing fuel! Plus, you could use it all the time and it would eventually pay for itself!

I think you have to buy the panels for the Yeti, too....at least it appears that way on Amazon where it is sold as a stand alone or as a "kit" with solar panels. :confused: Anyway, that would be sooooooooo much better than having to keep so much gasoline on hand. :) If you get one, let me know how it works.

I think you have to buy the panels for the Yeti, too....at least it appears that way on Amazon where it is sold as a stand alone or as a "kit" with solar panels. :confused: Anyway, that would be sooooooooo much better than having to keep so much gasoline on hand. :) If you get one, let me know how it works.

At REI it looks like it goes for $1399 with no panels included but you can buy the panels separately for $128 each. (numbers off the top of my head, but close enough).

At Hammacher it goes for $2k with 2 panels and everything included...

REI looks like the better way to go price wise, but not sure about any missing pieces from the "kit" I'll have to look into all of that further, and then I'll let you know!

My friend on the island is ok. They lost their car and the bottom of their house was flooded. I still haven't heard from my friend near the beach. My brother relocated to a hotel in the city. Still haven't checked the house on the shore b/c no one has gone down there yet.

And it took me over two hours to travel the 10 miles to work today.

Oy vey! Glad you're okay, sweetheart... Stay safe and this too shall pass... :beer:

Hey! I just said that! Lol

:D You owe me a coke!

Another thing, Rav... In case you didn't already know, stored gasoline can go bad over time... (not to mention the obvious fire hazard involved in storing it).

Does gasoline really go "bad" if you leave it unused for a period of time? Some people are convinced this is just another urban legend, and that people who worry about "old gas" and spend money on fuel stabilizer are wasting psychic energy as well as cash.

But in fact, gasoline can degrade over time. That can lead to a number of problems, ranging from hard starting, to rough running, to no starting at all.

Here's why

Unlike crude oil, gasoline is a highly refined product brewed to a certain chemical composition with very specific characteristics. One characteristic of gas is volatility, a term used to describe how easily and under what conditions the gas vaporizes so it can be efficiently burned in your car's engine.

The most highly volatile components in gasoline also tend to evaporate over time. As they do, the remaining fuel's volatility and ability to combust properly degrades. The less volatile the fuel, the less effectively it burns in your engine. The result is diminished engine performance. Your engine may still start and run, but it probably won't run as well.

The good news is, once the old gas has been consumed and the tank is topped off with fresh fuel, the problem should cure itself. Evaporation of volatile compounds can be limited by making sure the gas cap is secured tightly. For the same reason, be sure all portable gas containers are sealed tightly as well.

A more serious problem: Oxidation

Hydrocarbons in the gas react with oxygen to produce new compounds that eventually change the chemical composition of the fuel. This leads to gum and varnish deposits in the fuel system.

These deposits and impurities can clog up gas lines and filters, as well the small orifices in a carburetor and the even smaller orifices in a fuel injector. Removing these deposits can be expensive and your vehicle may not run at all or run very poorly until they are removed.

Water contamination

Condensation can form inside your gas tank and lines from heat cycling.

How do you identify bad gas?

One way is to eyeball it. Oxidized fuel often turns darker over time and may even smell sour. You can check stored gasoline by pouring some into a clear glass container and comparing it side-by-side with known fresh gasoline. If your old sample looks noticeably darker than the fresh gas, you have strong evidence the gas has gone bad.

How long does it take for gas to go bad?

That depends on a number of factors. For one, it's hard to know how old the gas you just bought actually is. It may be fresh from the refinery, or it may be a month old already by the time you top off your tank. Some gasoline is mixed with better or more oxidation inhibitors than others.

It's a good rule of thumb to avoid leaving gas in your tank or a storage container for more than a coupe of months, if you can avoid it.

Can gas really go bad? - Page 2 - CNN

So we still have no TV landline or Internet. But we have cell service and my iPad seems more consistently operable..... Knock wood. The diner in my neighborhood is doing booming business and has been packed. I'm glad that some nice people benefitted from this.

We finally went over to find my friends near the beach b/c I still hadn't heard from them. They're ok. No power, no phones, no nothing. And their house was flooded almost to the ceiling of their basement. It will take them a while, but they'll get back to normal.

We tried to hook up their pump to my husband's jeep but couldn't get it to work.

My beautiful Bay and beach are a mess.

Last edited:
So we still have no TV landline or Internet. But we have cell service and my iPad seems more consistently operable..... Knock wood. The diner in my neighborhood is doing booming business and has been packed. I'm glad that some nice people benefitted from this.

We finally went over to find my friends near the beach b/c I still hadn't heard from them. They're ok. No power, no phones, no nothing. And their house was flooded almost to the ceiling of their basement. It will take them a while, but they'll get back to normal.

We tried to hook up their pump to my husband's jeep but couldn't get it to work.

My beautiful Bay and beach are a mess.

I've been hearing some very sad stories, so I am relieved to hear you found your friends!

FYI - Bruce (and others) will be doing a benefit concert tomorrow...

New Jersey favorite son Bruce Springsteen, along with Jon Bon Jovi and Sting, will headline a benefit concert for storm victims Friday night on NBC television, the network announced.

Death toll up, gasoline lines grow in monster storm's wake - Yahoo! News

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ314hldal4]Springsteen - Sandy - YouTube[/ame]

thanks, val. yeah... some nasty stuff out there. gas is difficult to find. last i heard my husband was on a line about 1/4 mile long. hopefully there will be gas at the end of it. and one of the women i work with is scouting places for me so i can maybe get gas on my way home.

it took 2 1/2 hours for me to get to work this a.m....

and yesterday a.m.

home isn't that bad... it's going toward manhattan that's the problem. i feel like our mayor is protecting the city at the expense of the outer boroughs.

i can't say i'm hugely surprised about that, particularly because he isn't running for election again. how much you want to be if he were he wouldn't have told the president not to come here?

How are the grocery store's holding up....are they getting in fresh shipments and supplies?

How are the grocery store's holding up....are they getting in fresh shipments and supplies?

the grocery store i was in yesterday got rid of their perishable stock. the shelves had very little by way of those things. but there was enough for us to get most of what we needed. they had their freezer cases closed with tape, though, and signs saying "do not use"... which i really appreciated. i'm being very fussy about where i shop and eat right now.

the grocery store i was in yesterday got rid of their perishable stock. the shelves had very little by way of those things. but there was enough for us to get most of what we needed. they had their freezer cases closed with tape, though, and signs saying "do not use"... which i really appreciated. i'm being very fussy about where i shop and eat right now.
Good plan!

By the way, how did the city's water system fair? A few years ago around here, a main broke in my vicinity and we were on a boil order for over a week (even for washing).

be very fussy. im glad your grocer is being safe about his products too.

oh yeah.. and yay bruuuuuuuce!

(bon jovi and sting, too. :) )

I didn't want to turn this into a Bruce thread, but we could... :lol:

Atlantic City, Sandy, Lost in the Flood, Jersey Girl... I'm sure you could think of more...

Forum List

Back