Warm Bagels and Heavy Winds

Just delivered a carfull of coats and blankets to the Salvation Army that will forward them on to the East Coast for those who aren't just hanging on at home there, but for those who have no homes now. Wish we could bottle some gasoline for all the folks stranded at gas stations. I know what it is like to not have power for three days, but for us we were prepared with plenty of drinking and cooking water, plenty of firewood for a wood stove, and plenty of fuel for the Coleman lanterns. I can't imagine being ina city apartment with no way to heat, cook, boil water, and dealing with a clogged transit system to boot. And multiply that by hundreds of thousands and I hope there are enough positive vibes and prayers to deal with it.

i was just telling syrenn that the one thing i really need right now is gasoline. i have a half tank but it took me 2 1/2 hours to go to work today and yesterday so that isn't going to last long.

i think tomorrow i'll take the bus and train.

i hate trains.

cant you just work from home? And get a gas can!

i wish. lol.

although, to be fair, i'm not good at working from home. too many distractions.

Just delivered a carfull of coats and blankets to the Salvation Army that will forward them on to the East Coast for those who aren't just hanging on at home there, but for those who have no homes now. Wish we could bottle some gasoline for all the folks stranded at gas stations. I know what it is like to not have power for three days, but for us we were prepared with plenty of drinking and cooking water, plenty of firewood for a wood stove, and plenty of fuel for the Coleman lanterns. I can't imagine being ina city apartment with no way to heat, cook, boil water, and dealing with a clogged transit system to boot. And multiply that by hundreds of thousands and I hope there are enough positive vibes and prayers to deal with it.

i was just telling syrenn that the one thing i really need right now is gasoline. i have a half tank but it took me 2 1/2 hours to go to work today and yesterday so that isn't going to last long.

i hate trains.

Do you own a boat? Is there gas in those tanks to siphon? My husband always filled the boats tanks up before a hurricane . After opal we went weeks without gas supplies, good thinkg I was in good enough shape to ride my bike, we missed the power and the ability to clink icein our drinks. . My son and DIL went through Hugo in Charleston, they were way worse off than we were so they packed up the babies and drove them all the way over here and left them and then filled up their back seat with bread and milk and ice. So do you know of anybody anywhere near you who can bring you stuff? I know it's miserable now but hang in there you guys, it will slowly return to function. :)

my family has a boat.

it's at the house on the shore...

that i can't get to...

because i don't have enough gas. :evil:

i hate trains.

Do you own a boat? Is there gas in those tanks to siphon? My husband always filled the boats tanks up before a hurricane . After opal we went weeks without gas supplies, good thinkg I was in good enough shape to ride my bike, we missed the power and the ability to clink icein our drinks. . My son and DIL went through Hugo in Charleston, they were way worse off than we were so they packed up the babies and drove them all the way over here and left them and then filled up their back seat with bread and milk and ice. So do you know of anybody anywhere near you who can bring you stuff? I know it's miserable now but hang in there you guys, it will slowly return to function. :)

my family has a boat.

that i can't get to...

So sorry to hear your troubles, I've been in a similar situation.

I spent 10 hours getting gas just to be able to drive far enough to fill up the tank to get the kids off to some relatives. I walked 5 miles to the ONE station that had power because people were running out of gas in their cars waiting in line.

Never again. I've ALWAYS got gas now. Even if there is a hint of a storm I fill up the cars, the boat, and the RV. That way I've got almost 200 gallons, enough for over a week.

my family has a boat.

that i can't get to...

So sorry to hear your troubles, I've been in a similar situation.

I spent 10 hours getting gas just to be able to drive far enough to fill up the tank to get the kids off to some relatives. I walked 5 miles to the ONE station that had power because people were running out of gas in their cars waiting in line.

Never again. I've ALWAYS got gas now. Even if there is a hint of a storm I fill up the cars, the boat, and the RV. That way I've got almost 200 gallons, enough for over a week.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

Unfortunately, no RV and the boat is out on the shore. I filled my tank Sunday evening before the storm. I would still have the better part of a tank if it didn't take so long to get to work.

But as I said, so many people are having such horrible problems, that my stuff is almost trivial

Update: So today i said, save the gas... and took an express bus to work. i have to say, ny is doing an impressive job in this regard. i got to work in about an hour, didn't burn the half tank of gas i have left, and made it to work in about an hour. the ride was free and starbucks was open at destination.

so that's good.

my brother is still in a hotel in midtown. my friend in the village has no power and is on the 11th floor of his building. i can't imagine how he's walking his dog. i'm hoping he went to his sister in boston.

three of my nearby friends have no power, no nothing. one, on the beach, is going to take longer, i'd guess. another, about a mile or so to the west, still has no electricity, but got cell service. two avenues away from me to the south, it's still dark, or was last night. i forgot what real darkness looks like, but when i got to my friend's mom's house there, it was overwhelming.

it was so creepy i forgot to look for stars (sans light pollution).

I figured we could maybe be non-partisan for a bit. To everyone on the coast, stay safe. To the rest of you, send positive energy our way.

NYC now has winds of 45 miles an hour. That's down from over 50, this morning. Schools, courts, the stock market and other state and city offices are closed. our supermarket is closed, but our neighborhood bagel place was open. My husband went out and brought back hot whole wheat bagels so his trip out wasn't a total loss. We're in what they're calling zone B... which in NYC's parlance now means that we're in danger of flooding only if Sandy hits a catagory 2.

who else is in the storm zone and what are you doing to cope?

keeping the fire going, burning lots of candles and playing board games. I go to work now just so I can enjoys some modern conveniences and charge everything up. lol yesterday I stood by the sink in the breakroom for like 10 minutes just to enjoy the feeling of hot water :lol: But it could be a lot worse right. for some people, this is life everyday

I figured we could maybe be non-partisan for a bit. To everyone on the coast, stay safe. To the rest of you, send positive energy our way.

NYC now has winds of 45 miles an hour. That's down from over 50, this morning. Schools, courts, the stock market and other state and city offices are closed. our supermarket is closed, but our neighborhood bagel place was open. My husband went out and brought back hot whole wheat bagels so his trip out wasn't a total loss. We're in what they're calling zone B... which in NYC's parlance now means that we're in danger of flooding only if Sandy hits a catagory 2.

keeping the fire going, burning lots of candles and playing board games. I go to work now just so I can enjoys some modern conveniences and charge everything up. lol yesterday I stood by the sink in the breakroom for like 10 minutes just to enjoy the feeling of hot water :lol: But it could be a lot worse right. for some people, this is life everyday

at least you can get some hot water at work! lol.

i'm glad you are taking things in stride and are doing well.

good to see you on the board. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dceeu5Z2oU]"Living'on a Prayer" Bon Jovi Hurricane Sandy Coming Together - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABThMZCFwEM]"Dream On" Aerosmith Hurricane Sandy Coming Together - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS5k9IcoQH0]"Beautiful" Christina Aguilera Hurricane Sandy. Coming Together - YouTube[/ame]

Lots of relief money was raised last night! :thup:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVwfvwMx4pk]Video 1 of 4 - Hurricane Sandy Relief Concert - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back