User Rep Quarterly Reminder

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by Gunny, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    It's that time again, and I'll say right up front I don't want to hear any names or this turn into a pissing contest. If anyone has a problem with another member specifically in regard to user rep, you can PM myself or Jillian with the specifics and one of us will look into it.

In case some are unaware, I can look up user rep on all members of this board, and read the comments, so it isn't like PMs.

User rep is a privilege extended by the board as something to make it just a bit more interesting. Some people care about it, some don't. Either way, it is not there to be abused by either continually giving negative rep to someone, or continually giving positive rep to someone.

This is one of those things where if you aren't abusing it, I'm not controlling it. But, I can and will if I feel it's necessary. Individuals who continually abuse the system can and will have this privilege rescinded.

I prefer it not come to that.

2. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,779
    Gunny, how does it work when someone receives a bad rep comment? Much to my horror, I received one yesterday. It didn't seem to lower my rep...does that mean I need to get a bunch of good rep comments to counteract it?

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    This is from a post in another thread towards the bottom of the first page in this forum:

To answer your question, rep points only affect your user rep. They otherwise do not affect you as a member either negatively or positively. If you still have questions about it, feel free to ask.

4. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Ok, I was going to post something, but, then I thought, if you can't say something POSTIVE, keep you mouth closed, and your hands off the keys.:eusa_whistle:

5. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,760
    OK, now that you've explained how rep points are earned (lost), can you explain how rep power is calculated? Just curious.

I also think that a rep points (or power) to posts ratio would be kind of a cool stat to add if possible.

6. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Gee, then you should look into my negative reps. Almost all of them came from Jillian, usually with an obnoxious aside about trying to teach me manners or some such thing.

7. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,760
    :eusa_boohoo: :( :eusa_boohoo:

8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I know. It was very sad.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770

IIRC, it is based on total number of posts and total rep points. I think every 100 posts you get one point. I don't know how many total rep points increases rep power each time. It is an automatic system.

Rep points to posts would not really be an indicator of anything. When I first came to this board I think the person with the highest rep power had like 17 points. I toook a long time to amass rep. Currently, you can have one post and get 2000 or so rep points for it if one one the older members gives it.

Oh ... besides that ... it isn't an option in the program.:lol:

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I will repeat ...

If you have an issue with another member and what you consider abuse of the rep system, feel free to PM me with the info. It will not be discussed in a public forum.