Top Conservative Judge 'Profoundly' Worried By Right-Wing Court's Direction, Believes Trump Will Skate On Coup Crimes

Shocker From Top Conservative Judge: Trump Likely To Skate Completely​

J. Michael Luttig sees two potential outcomes from Thursday’s Supreme Court arguments. Both are grim for our democracy.​

“I’m profoundly disturbed about the apparent direction of the court,” J. Michael Luttig told me. “I now believe that it is unlikely Trump will ever be tried for the crimes he committed in attempting to overturn the 2020 election.”

I called Luttig, a former federal judge with extensive conservative credentials, to solicit his reaction to this week’s Supreme Court hearing over Donald Trump’s demand for absolute immunity from prosecution for any crimes related to his insurrection attempt. On Thursday, Luttig posted a thread critiquing the right-wing justices for their apparent openness to Trump’s arguments—but that thread was legalistic and formal, so I figured Luttig had a lot more to say.

And did he ever. Luttig lacerated the right-wing justices for harboring a “radical vision” of the American presidency, and pronounced himself “gravely” worried that Trump will never face accountability for alleged crimes committed in attempting to destroy U.S. democracy through extensive procedural corruption and the naked incitement of mob violence.

Luttig’s fear that Trump may very well skate centers on the lines of questioning from the court’s right-wing majority about Special Counsel Jack Smith’s ongoing prosecution of Trump. As many observers noted, those justices appeared largely uninterested in the question before them—whether Trump’s alleged crimes related to the insurrection constituted official presidential acts that are immune from prosecution after leaving office.

Instead, the justices dwelled on the supposed future consequences of prosecuting presidents for crimes, and seemed to want to place some limits on that eventuality. That suggests the justices will kick the case back to lower courts to determine whether some definition of official presidential acts must be protected (and whether Trump’s specific acts qualify).

Such a move would almost certainly push Trump’s trial until after the election, and if he wins, he can simply cancel prosecutions of himself. Luttig fears that outcome. But he also worries that even if Trump loses the election, there may well be five Supreme Court votes for siding with Trump’s demand for immunity. Both outcomes would functionally end his prosecution.

“I believe it is now likely either that Trump will get elected and instruct his attorney general to drop the charges, or that the Supreme Court will grant him immunity from prosecution,” Luttig told me.

More at the link below...

Top Conservative Judge 'Profoundly' Worried By Right-Wing Court's Direction, Believes Trump Will Skate On Coup Crimes

I am greatly disappointed that Trump may never be held fully accountable for his actions! I am greatly disappointed in our current judicial system - especially SCOTUS. What do you think?
The handwriting was on the wall when in December the SC refused to hear the case then did a turn around, took the case & scheduled arguements on the last day of the term. Trump's appointees are nothing but partisan hacks who are going to ensure that Trump skates on his crimes. And anyone who thinks the court sysem is going to save this Country from Trump is in for a rude awakening.

The Country's future is in the hands of a bunch of craven self serving power hungry lowlifes in a suit & tie. The Trump Party.

The handwriting was on the wall when in December the SC refused to hear the case then did a turn around, took the case & scheduled arguements on the last day of the term. Trump's appointees are nothing but partisan hacks who are going to ensure that Trump skates on his crimes. And anyone who thinks the court sysem is going to save this Country from Trump is in for a rude awakening.

The Country's future is in the hands of a bunch of craven self serving power hungry lowlifes in a suit & tie. The Trump Party.

Yep, the SCOTUS NaziCons are as dangerous and crooked as Adolf Trump!

It’s a shame this justice has allowed his personal hate for trump to cloud his mind and get into bed with demafasict thinking

You can expect no making up of the law, is what you mean Mrs. Jones.
Conservatives support and defend the laws of our country, not your banana republic.
The people have no faith in a Supreme Court dominated by partisan conservative ideologues – and appropriately so.

Conservative ideologues who have already demonstrated their contempt for settled, accepted precedent and authoritarian desire to undermine the rights and liberties of the people to the benefit of the state thus facilitating the tyranny of Republican minority rule.

The people have no faith in a Supreme Court dominated by partisan conservative ideologues – and appropriately so.

Conservative ideologues who have already demonstrated their contempt for settled, accepted precedent and authoritarian desire to undermine the rights and liberties of the people to the benefit of the state thus facilitating the tyranny of Republican minority rule.
Real citizens have all the faith in the world in conservative Justices who rule only by law and not idiotic progressive ideologies.
When you move to one of your banana republics after the election, you will have plenty of fake judges to worship Mrs. Jones.

Real citizens have all the faith in the world in conservative Justices who rule only by law and not idiotic progressive ideologies.
When you move to one of your banana republics after the election, you will have plenty of fake judges to worship Mrs. Jones.

Mrs. Jones lived the majority of her life under Progressive Judges and Justices who just seem normal to her, because of how far left she is.

Most all of the major leftist wins that she likes were gotten through the courts governing against the will of the voters.

J. Michael Luttig sees two potential outcomes from Thursday’s Supreme Court arguments. Both are grim for our democracy.​

“I’m profoundly disturbed about the apparent direction of the court,” J. Michael Luttig told me. “I now believe that it is unlikely Trump will ever be tried for the crimes he committed in attempting to overturn the 2020 election.”

I called Luttig, a former federal judge with extensive conservative credentials, to solicit his reaction to this week’s Supreme Court hearing over Donald Trump’s demand for absolute immunity from prosecution for any crimes related to his insurrection attempt. On Thursday, Luttig posted a thread critiquing the right-wing justices for their apparent openness to Trump’s arguments—but that thread was legalistic and formal, so I figured Luttig had a lot more to say.

And did he ever. Luttig lacerated the right-wing justices for harboring a “radical vision” of the American presidency, and pronounced himself “gravely” worried that Trump will never face accountability for alleged crimes committed in attempting to destroy U.S. democracy through extensive procedural corruption and the naked incitement of mob violence.

Luttig’s fear that Trump may very well skate centers on the lines of questioning from the court’s right-wing majority about Special Counsel Jack Smith’s ongoing prosecution of Trump. As many observers noted, those justices appeared largely uninterested in the question before them—whether Trump’s alleged crimes related to the insurrection constituted official presidential acts that are immune from prosecution after leaving office.

Instead, the justices dwelled on the supposed future consequences of prosecuting presidents for crimes, and seemed to want to place some limits on that eventuality. That suggests the justices will kick the case back to lower courts to determine whether some definition of official presidential acts must be protected (and whether Trump’s specific acts qualify).

Such a move would almost certainly push Trump’s trial until after the election, and if he wins, he can simply cancel prosecutions of himself. Luttig fears that outcome. But he also worries that even if Trump loses the election, there may well be five Supreme Court votes for siding with Trump’s demand for immunity. Both outcomes would functionally end his prosecution.

“I believe it is now likely either that Trump will get elected and instruct his attorney general to drop the charges, or that the Supreme Court will grant him immunity from prosecution,” Luttig told me.

I am greatly disappointed that Trump may never be held fully accountable for his actions! I am greatly disappointed in our current judicial system - especially SCOTUS. What do you think?
Luttig LOL

He means "dim for Democrats." It would be beautiful for Democracy."

Forum List

Back