To USMB- The ignore feature

I only put people on ignore when they do stalking things like sending me unwanted PM's or otherwise dont' contribute to a conversation.

I currently only have one person on ignore, and it's mostly because he just reposts the same thing in every thread to the point even other people who agree with him ignore him.

Yes, there are some here who sure do seem to enjoy stalking. :cuckoo: I've been using the ignore feature for people who are stalkers and/or abusive. You know, the ones that follow you from thread to thread, making nasty comments, or the ones you cannot have a discussion with because all they can do is toss about insults? Really, I believe internet forums are rife with very miserable and unstable people . . . obviously. Lol.

Oh, and also the ones who never have a point to make. They just post stupid comments to every single thread . . . that's annoying too.

Yes, there are some here who sure do seem to enjoy stalking. :cuckoo: I've been using the ignore feature for people who are stalkers and/or abusive. You know, the ones that follow you from thread to thread, making nasty comments, or the ones you cannot have a discussion with because all they can do is toss about insults? Really, I believe internet forums are rife with very miserable and unstable people . . . obviously. Lol.
Yeah, agree completely. The internet seems like a repository for people who just want to vent their anger and misery. It's a shame, because this board can be interesting before all the flame threads, personal insults and name-calling take over.

Why someone would want to stalk another person who has asked them not to is beyond me.

Two suggestions: Can this site be revised a little so that...

(1) if you have someone on ignore you don't see their posts when you're quoting someone else? I could have sworn it was like that here for a while when the format changed a while back.

And/or (2) you can make it so that someone you have on ignore can't see your posts either?

If I don't want to communicate with someone, it would be nice to be able to end it completely. Having someone continue to post directly to you even though they know you have them on ignore is a little creepy.

Thanks!

Pretty sure knowingly posting to someone you know has you on ignore is against a Rule.

But how would you know? It doesn't show anywhere that somebody has you on ignore. And for somebody to just tell somebody they have them on ignore when in fact they do not could open the door for a nightmare for the mods. I have begged people to put me on ignore from time to time and they refuse. How would that be different?

It would also be a nightmare for the mods to moderate if everybody we want not to post to us or about us was required not to post to us or about us just because we told them not to.

No problem, good stuff.

I'd sure like to see all the personal insults and name-calling reduced.

Isn't that.... Politically Correct?

No Joe, wishing that people would behave like civil, mature, honest, intelligent adults is not an example of PC.

Since I know that it won't happen, I realize it's just wishful thinking. I have no interest in intimidating or punishing people for that.

Join the very few of us who are posting in the new structured debate forum. We haven't quite yet achieved civility, maturity, honesty, or intelligence, but we're gradually starting to get there. :)

Yeah, agree completely. The internet seems like a repository for people who just want to vent their anger and misery. It's a shame, because this board can be interesting before all the flame threads, personal insults and name-calling take over.

Why someone would want to stalk another person who has asked them not to is beyond me.

And the team tags are even worse. Mean spirited people PM their buddies, organize an attack on some member, and then en masse make that member's life as miserable as possible. We have had a lot of good people driven elsewhere just over that kind of hatefulness. In a way that is worse than the stalkers, but the stalkers are bad enough.

No problem, good stuff.

I'd sure like to see all the personal insults and name-calling reduced.

Isn't that.... Politically Correct?

No Joe, wishing that people would behave like civil, mature, honest, intelligent adults is not an example of PC.

Since I know that it won't happen, I realize it's just wishful thinking. I have no interest in intimidating or punishing people for that.

Join the very few of us who are posting in the new structured debate forum. We haven't quite yet achieved civility, maturity, honesty, or intelligence, but we're gradually starting to get there. :)

I saw that new section but I haven't checked it out yet. :) Will make a point to do so.

And the team tags are even worse. Mean spirited people PM their buddies, organize an attack on some member, and then en masse make that member's life as miserable as possible. We have had a lot of good people driven elsewhere just over that kind of hatefulness. In a way that is worse than the stalkers, but the stalkers are bad enough.
Holy crap, seriously?

After having observed the behavior here, I must admit I'm not surprised, come to think of it.

What IS it about this site that makes people who are upset by what's said on it that they are compelled to return day after day?

What keeps me coming back are definitely not the mean spirited people who try to insult others or make their time here difficult or who get their jollies through harrassing or oneupmanship on others or whatever. it is people like the wierd and wonderful bunch that frequent the Coffee Shop and some other social and special interest threads, who make the occasional intelligent post on the political or economic or religion threads, or who otherwise have demonstrated that they are people I would like to meet in real life.

They are here. If we could only interact with them without interference from the others, this place would be heaven on Earth.

I make insults sometimes too. I'm not perfect, and sometimes I get annoyed and my temper gets the better of me. :) I try my best not to do that though. I mostly get angry with people who are anti second amendment. I find nothing more annoying than when a person wants to take away one of our rights!! Grrrr.

Holy crap, seriously?

After having observed the behavior here, I must admit I'm not surprised, come to think of it.

It is the same mentality as that of the stalker. Some people become obsessed in 'getting even' or punishing somebody who disappointed them or who offended them or who they just decided they hate for whatever reason. And there are the childish ones who get off on being bad or rude or insulting. All such people I think are a brick or two shy of a full load, but that's just my opinion.

Mac,

Not having the trouble you're mentioning. The members I have on ignore are invisible.

While we're talking about the ignore function, how's this for an idea:

When a set number of members have the same member on ignore, say 10, 25 or whatever, it triggers an intervention from the Mods. Perhaps when this threshold is met, it's time for that offending member to get a polite nudge from the Mods to become more civil, reply with meaningful content, or whatever it is that causes so many members to place the offending member on ignore. Perhaps a week in a penalty box where he/she can read only could serve as a cooling off time for the offending member to contemplate mending his/her ways.

Over the long run, it may help to make this board more civil and discussions more informative. I'd like to clear my ignore list if the members there would stop being uncivil, repetitive, non contributing, immature and predictable. I'd like to hear as many perspectives on a subject as possible from the largest group of members.

Sorry Mac, not trying to hijack your thread.

Cheers.

What may sound like an excellent idea I have to say it stinks.....there are members here (some have been ushered out) who didn't mind ganging up on people and negging them when we had the old "rep" system.....what makes you think they wouldn't all gang up and put one person on ignore to trigger such a reaction. The best thing to do is to ignore those you don't like to debate with, and those who decide to pm you nasty pms or tag you to make sure you look at their post, then put them on ignore and tell them you did so. If they do it after you've told them they are on ignore, you can report them and let the Mods deal with them whichever way they see fit. The really bad trolls can't control themselves and eventually end up violating rules that get them banned.......nature has a way of taking care of the recalcitrants....:)

Holy crap, seriously?

It is the same mentality as that of the stalker. Some people become obsessed in 'getting even' or punishing somebody who disappointed them or who offended them or who they just decided they hate for whatever reason. And there are the childish ones who get off on being bad or rude or insulting. All such people I think are a brick or two shy of a full load, but that's just my opinion.

I have a couple who follow me around from thread to thread and make rude comments. Lol. I have them on ignore, but I can see when they post following me, and other members have PM'ed me, telling me that they are nasty with their rude comments. :)

Holy crap, seriously?

Yeah, I tend to think it's a self esteem issue, but you never know.

I make insults sometimes too. I'm not perfect, and sometimes I get annoyed and my temper gets the better of me. :) I try my best not to do that though. I mostly get angry with people who are anti second amendment. I find nothing more annoying than when a person wants to take away one of our rights!! Grrrr.

I think it is a rare person, probably an abnormal person, who doesn't get angry when somebody else is in their face or whatever and is being a prick. But anger and how we choose to deal with it are two separate things.

The best course of action I think is to mostly refuse to give other people any power to make us behave in any particular way. We either are masters of our own choices and convictions and reactions, or we let the creeps take that away from us.

And of course, if we justify our right to hold our opinions, it logically follow the other person also has a right to his/her opinions, no matter how stupid or wrong or misguided they may be. So the trick is to focus on their argument and not on the person. And remember that pointing a finger at somebody has the rest of the fingers. . . . Or you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. . .

Okay I'll stop with the cliches. :) Stepping off soapbox with apologies.

I only put people on ignore that decide they want to send me nasty PMs. If I receive a nasty PM, I will put that person on ignore and then let them know. If they continue to PM me, they will get reported.

Many that are whining about being stalked or that someone is following them forget that this is political board and members can post anywhere they like. If you don't want to be challenged on your comments, then don't make them.....simple as that.

Holy crap, seriously?

Yeah, I tend to think it's a self esteem issue, but you never know.

Or just rude and ignorant jerks. Plenty of those to go around. Lol.

I only put people on ignore that decide they want to send me nasty PMs. If I receive a nasty PM, I will put that person on ignore and then let them know. If they continue to PM me, they will get reported.

Many that are whining about being stalked or that someone is following them forget that this is political board and members can post anywhere they like. If you don't want to be challenged on your comments, then don't make them.....simple as that.

I have a guy stalker who says things about me on threads I'm not even posting in! Lol. I only know because other members have PM'ed me to tell me about it. Some people are just . . . effed up in the head. Sometimes it's a mistake to even get into it with certain people, though they are the minority and for the most part, this is a pretty good place. I like it and don't want to change anything. Just acknowledging the weirdos that might frequent boards such as this. Also, some people are just very angry people apparently.

Forum List

Back