To USMB- The ignore feature

Mac,

Not having the trouble you're mentioning. The members I have on ignore are invisible.

While we're talking about the ignore function, how's this for an idea:

When a set number of members have the same member on ignore, say 10, 25 or whatever, it triggers an intervention from the Mods. Perhaps when this threshold is met, it's time for that offending member to get a polite nudge from the Mods to become more civil, reply with meaningful content, or whatever it is that causes so many members to place the offending member on ignore. Perhaps a week in a penalty box where he/she can read only could serve as a cooling off time for the offending member to contemplate mending his/her ways.

Over the long run, it may help to make this board more civil and discussions more informative. I'd like to clear my ignore list if the members there would stop being uncivil, repetitive, non contributing, immature and predictable. I'd like to hear as many perspectives on a subject as possible from the largest group of members.

Sorry Mac, not trying to hijack your thread.

Cheers.
No problem, good stuff.

I'd sure like to see all the personal insults and name-calling reduced.

Yes, indeed that would be nice.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

Mac,

Not having the trouble you're mentioning. The members I have on ignore are invisible.

While we're talking about the ignore function, how's this for an idea:

When a set number of members have the same member on ignore, say 10, 25 or whatever, it triggers an intervention from the Mods. Perhaps when this threshold is met, it's time for that offending member to get a polite nudge from the Mods to become more civil, reply with meaningful content, or whatever it is that causes so many members to place the offending member on ignore. Perhaps a week in a penalty box where he/she can read only could serve as a cooling off time for the offending member to contemplate mending his/her ways.

Over the long run, it may help to make this board more civil and discussions more informative. I'd like to clear my ignore list if the members there would stop being uncivil, repetitive, non contributing, immature and predictable. I'd like to hear as many perspectives on a subject as possible from the largest group of members.

Sorry Mac, not trying to hijack your thread.

Cheers.
A function ripe for abuse by the usual suspects too.

Two suggestions: Can this site be revised a little so that...

(1) if you have someone on ignore you don't see their posts when you're quoting someone else? I could have sworn it was like that here for a while when the format changed a while back.

And/or (2) you can make it so that someone you have on ignore can't see your posts either?

If I don't want to communicate with someone, it would be nice to be able to end it completely. Having someone continue to post directly to you even though they know you have them on ignore is a little creepy.

Thanks!

Huh!?? Your on ignore....

And/or (2) you can make it so that someone you have on ignore can't see your posts either?

Just because you have someone on ignore doesn't mean they can't see your posts. They can see your posts unless they also put you on ignore. Some people may have me on ignore, but I can still see their posts....I can't see the posts of people I put on ignore.

Just because you have someone on ignore doesn't mean they can't see your posts. They can see your posts unless they also put you on ignore. Some people may have me on ignore, but I can still see their posts....I can't see the posts of people I put on ignore.
Yes, that's my point in (2).

You said:
you can make it so that someone you have on ignore can't see your posts either?
No, you can't.....that's the point....unless they put you on ignore, they can see your posts. You can't keep others from seeing your posts....ignore just keeps you from seeing posts you don't want to see.....

I don't understand why it is so hard for some posters to just scroll past what they don't want to read.

If I don't want to communicate with someone, it would be nice to be able to end it completely. Having someone continue to post directly to you even though they know you have them on ignore is a little creepy.

Why?

Just ignore it.
Correct.

The manual ignore feature works perfectly.

I don't understand why it is so hard for some posters to just scroll past what they don't want to read.

Why?

Just ignore it.
Correct.

The manual ignore feature works perfectly.

The ignore feature is MUCH better, I've found, especially with the perverted trolls so that you don't have to read their disgusting posts and fantasies. Lol.

You said:
No, you can't.....that's the point....unless they put you on ignore, they can see your posts. You can't keep others from seeing your posts....ignore just keeps you from seeing posts you don't want to see.....
I already knew that. My post began by asking if "this site be revised a little so that" there is a way for them to not see your posts if you have them on ignore.

I have 3 people on ignore now, and it works great! :) I wish I had used it sooner, to be honest. I highly recommend it for anyone who is having trouble with troll posters who really don't contribute anything of value to any discussions.

I used to do the "just ignore them" thing, but this function works MUCH better. You don't have to see them or their posts at all. :D

You said:
I already knew that. My post began by asking if "this site be revised a little so that" there is a way for them to not see your posts if you have them on ignore.

Meh, I don't care if they can see my posts, as long as I can't see their pointless posts, I'm good. :)

I only put people on ignore when they do stalking things like sending me unwanted PM's or otherwise dont' contribute to a conversation.

I currently only have one person on ignore, and it's mostly because he just reposts the same thing in every thread to the point even other people who agree with him ignore him.

No problem, good stuff.

I'd sure like to see all the personal insults and name-calling reduced.

Isn't that.... Politically Correct?

No Joe, wishing that people would behave like civil, mature, honest, intelligent adults is not an example of PC.

Since I know that it won't happen, I realize it's just wishful thinking. I have no interest in intimidating or punishing people for that.

I think this is a great idea! I should be able to force someone else to ignore me. If I can't have complete control over what other people do here, then I feel as though my rights are being taken from me.

Waaaaaasaaaaaaa!!!

I think this is a great idea! I should be able to force someone else to ignore me. If I can't have complete control over what other people do here, then I feel as though my rights are being taken from me.

Waaaaaasaaaaaaa!!!
I thought having complete control over everyone's thoughts and lives was the progressive goal. Interesting.

Forum List

Back