To the Woman and Child Who Sat at Table 9

If it is a child behaving badly because the parents aren't parenting well, that's one thing. If it is a child with a disabiity, it's an entirely different matter. Possibly the mother didn't take the child to MacDonald's or the like becaus the atmosphere there would be far more difficult for a child with autism to handle. That could be very likely. Possibly she doesn't leave her with a baby sitter because it is difficult to find a sitter who knows how to take care of a child with autism. Possibly she's a single parent who can't afford a sitter and wanted a nice meal out for a change. Lots of possibilities here that make this not a clear cut case of just an annoying child with a parent making bad choices. How often does this happen to you, going to a 'nice' restaurant and dealing, not with poorly behaved children, but with a child with autism who may not be able to behave properly? Is this woman never allowed to go out to a nice meal?

Note in the article the restaurant manager says he lost a child. He is referring to his own gratitude of having a child at all after having lost his first child, and his gratitude she was okay, not burdened with any disability. Children are a precious gift, and those who are blessed to have healthy, ordinary kids are most blessed of all.

To the other patrons it comes down to "Your child is giving me the creeps....remove her from my presence"

The mother is doing the best she can under the circumstances. She should not be expected to keep her child from public view because it makes you uncomfortable

:clap2:

Public View is not the same as trapping other people into dining with one's uncontrollable child.

I do not care to go out to dinner and be disturbed by uncontrollable children, autistic or otherwise.

If that is your preferred dining experience, then by all means, knock yourself out.

I'd kick you out before the kid...hell I'd rather have homeless over you in my restaurant.

You're certainly free to leave, but you're legally bound to pay for the food. Contrary to popular opinion, the food is what you pay for. Service is an added bonus to entice repeat business.

People are more likely to go back to a restaurant if the service is good, but we gotta pay the piper regardless of whether the service is worth a damn or not.
The service isn't just a nice waitress bosom to glare at, it includes the table and atmosphere.

You saying it doesn't make it so.

In most instances, the manager will eat the cost of the meal in hopes of salvaging repeat business, but that's his/her decision to make. Not yours. If you're told to pay the bill and refuse to, you're a thief.

As for the rest of your post, I'll not address words that are put in my mouth, tyvm.

The proper thing to do is to pay for the meal, but forgo leaving a tip. A tip is for service that makes the dining experience enjoyable. If the enablement of screeching noise does not enhance one's enjoyment, then don't leave a tip.

Simple.

I do not care to go out to dinner and be disturbed by uncontrollable children, autistic or otherwise.

If that is your preferred dining experience, then by all means, knock yourself out.

I'd kick you out before the kid...hell I'd rather have homeless over you in my restaurant.

Don't worry yourself on that account, bub. I don't dine in roach infested rat hole grease pits. So, you'll never have the opportunity to kick me out.

By all means open a FAMILY style restaurant and advertise that autistic children are not welcome.

A month later I'll be at the going out of business sale.

I am willing to bet that half the people that wanted to see this woman kicked out would be demanding that the government force that restaurant to let autistic children in.

Correct. We are not all so blessed as you apparently are.

Blessings should be counted, and assistance granted to those not so blessed.

I am one so blessed. And I thank God for it daily
You are confusing imposed with granted. Granting is voluntary. Imposing your problems onto others is not. I think some people get used to screaming kids and become immune to it and don't think how disturbing it is for others.

I think you are the one that is confused.

Unless someone is forcing you to eat there no one is imposing on you by eating at the same place you are. In fact, public accommodation laws, which you fucking support, actually make it illegal to refuse service to anyone simply because they have a fucking disability, like autism. You are free to take your ass out of the restaurant, or stay, whichever you do is your fucking choice, don't whinge about the laws you support making you put up with things you don't like.

To the Woman and Child Who Sat at Table 9*|&nbspTony Posnanski

This is all well and nice....BUT....what about the people who went to your restaurant to get away from their own children, had sitters, and needed a break from kids in general?

Your thoughts?

There is nothing worse than going to a restaurant and having someone's brats run around screeching. I understand that sometimes, parents have to take their kids with them, but I wouldn't stand for any child making noises and disrupting my meal.
I wouldn't have been so kind.

Yeah, yeah we all know you hate non-adult humans. You being "nice" hardly seems an issue.

It's theft if they received it. That meal can't be served again.
No. If it was take out you'd be right but it includes a service. The meal price includes a reasonable atmosphere. I am not obliged legally, morally or ethically to eat food when I'm subjected to a miserable experience. The restaurant should handle it, if not I'm not going to order a box to take it home or go face first into my chow with my fingers in my ears.

And we can't have black people eating in the same restaurant as cultured folks, can we?

Yes, I am deliberately using a really stupid analogy to make a point. I hope it works.

It's theft if they received it. That meal can't be served again.
No. If it was take out you'd be right but it includes a service. The meal price includes a reasonable atmosphere. I am not obliged legally, morally or ethically to eat food when I'm subjected to a miserable experience. The restaurant should handle it, if not I'm not going to order a box to take it home or go face first into my chow with my fingers in my ears.

If it hits your table you're absolutely legally obligated to pay for it.

To not do so is theft whether you eat it or not because it's food you ordered and received. What you do with it after that is up to you, but you owe the restaurant the cost of the meal.

Exactly, theft of services.

Correct. We are not all so blessed as you apparently are.

Blessings should be counted, and assistance granted to those not so blessed.

I am one so blessed. And I thank God for it daily
You are confusing imposed with granted. Granting is voluntary. Imposing your problems onto others is not. I think some people get used to screaming kids and become immune to it and don't think how disturbing it is for others.

Unless someone is forcing you to eat there no one is imposing on you by eating at the same place you are. In fact, public accommodation laws, which you fucking support, actually make it illegal to refuse service to anyone simply because they have a fucking disability, like autism. You are free to take your ass out of the restaurant, or stay, whichever you do is your fucking choice, don't whinge about the laws you support making you put up with things you don't like.

there are no laws that prohibit you from asking a customer to keep quiet either....

asking someone to keep quiet is not denying them service. Asking the mother to keep her child quiet is not denying her service.

To the other patrons it comes down to "Your child is giving me the creeps....remove her from my presence"

The mother is doing the best she can under the circumstances. She should not be expected to keep her child from public view because it makes you uncomfortable

:clap2:

Public View is not the same as trapping other people into dining with one's uncontrollable child.

You aren't trapped, feel free to leave.

By the way, how is the restaurant supposed to keep disabled children out when the laws you support force them to let them in?

No, you're confused. I have never said I supported any such thing. If a business owner wanted to refuse service to fat short ugly people he should be allowed to. He pays the bills. If a kid was out of control before I ordered, it's different. I'll realize the place is a zoo and leave. Otherwise, you keep your problems at home and don't ruin others' evenings out.

By the way, how is the restaurant supposed to keep disabled children out when the laws you support force them to let them in?

i was not aware that they were being asked to leave...... just to be less disruptive. And the manager was waylaid with emotional blackmail....

and.... what about the ones who are not disabled.... just misbehaved brats with oblivious parents?

there are no laws that prohibit you from asking a customer to keep quiet either....

asking someone to keep quiet is not denying them service. Asking the mother to keep her child quiet is not denying her service.

He was going to, and then decided that he preferred allowing her to deal with the child without him dumping more crap on his head. That was his decision, and I support the rights of every individual to do whatever they want.

So....scenario time.

For and against....those in this situation where you are dining out, in a restaurant that is NOT family oriented..and someone brings their kid(s), who are noisy.

1. Do you talk to the manager to speak to the parents?
2. Do you ask to be moved to another table?
3. Do you just ask for your food to be put in carryout because you decide to leave?
4. Do you speak to the parent(s) themselves?

i was not aware that they were being asked to leave...... just to be less disruptive. And the manager was waylaid with emotional blackmail....

and.... what about the ones who are not disabled.... just misbehaved brats with oblivious parents?

Her position is that the restaurant has to choose between her and the kids.

I would pick the most obnoxious child over a self righteous adult any day of the week.

Forum List

Back