To the Woman and Child Who Sat at Table 9

this society claims to love kids....

Bones who said that? My experience is the opposite people seem to have less patience for little ones these days, hell people don't even want kids in airplanes or restaurants anymore.

Did you even read the letter? It's most likely a family restaurant for God sake! Nobody would argue that your not correct in upscale environments.

( bangs head against the brick wall )

I was talking about the overall patience for kids in general not just this case Chief.

Bones who said that? My experience is the opposite people seem to have less patience for little ones these days, hell people don't even want kids in airplanes or restaurants anymore.

Did you even read the letter? It's most likely a family restaurant for God sake! Nobody would argue that your not correct in upscale environments.

I was talking about the overall patience for kids in general not just this case Chief.

Then make that clear in your post OK Chief. This is a real life problem for families with challenged children. Just feel blessed if your not one of them.

Family restaurant doesn't mean dysfunctional family restaurant. We are all not your family and shouldn't be obligated to act like it. You do not have the right to visit your problems onto others and it's unfortunate that it's even an issue, people used to know these things.

Correct. We are not all so blessed as you apparently are.

Blessings should be counted, and assistance granted to those not so blessed.

I am one so blessed. And I thank God for it daily

Family restaurant doesn't mean dysfunctional family restaurant. We are all not your family and shouldn't be obligated to act like it. You do not have the right to visit your problems onto others and it's unfortunate that it's even an issue, people used to know these things.

Because there's an autistic child doesn't mean this is a dysfunctional family.

Correct. We are not all so blessed as you apparently are.

Blessings should be counted, and assistance granted to those not so blessed.

I am one so blessed. And I thank God for it daily
You are confusing imposed with granted. Granting is voluntary. Imposing your problems onto others is not. I think some people get used to screaming kids and become immune to it and don't think how disturbing it is for others.

Then make that clear in your post OK Chief. This is a real life problem for families with challenged children. Just feel blessed if your not one of them.

Jesus dude relax.:eek:

use there's an autistic child doesn't mean this is a dysfunctional family.
Of course. I was speaking about it in general. People do bring in undisiplined brats and expect you to put up with them. The people at the restaurant don't know the family situation and shouldn't have to.

When I go out to eat or some relaxation I do not think in terms of PC, OBP(other people's bullshit) or social grace and tolerance in these situations.

I think that I hardly ever go out and when I do it is to take a break from my normal routine. I think about the cash I am laying out and the goal is to relax...

What I do is ask for another seat somewhere else. I am not looking to create a more difficult situation if the child has a disability. If the kid is being a brat that is another story.

If it is a child behaving badly because the parents aren't parenting well, that's one thing. If it is a child with a disabiity, it's an entirely different matter. Possibly the mother didn't take the child to MacDonald's or the like becaus the atmosphere there would be far more difficult for a child with autism to handle. That could be very likely. Possibly she doesn't leave her with a baby sitter because it is difficult to find a sitter who knows how to take care of a child with autism. Possibly she's a single parent who can't afford a sitter and wanted a nice meal out for a change. Lots of possibilities here that make this not a clear cut case of just an annoying child with a parent making bad choices. How often does this happen to you, going to a 'nice' restaurant and dealing, not with poorly behaved children, but with a child with autism who may not be able to behave properly? Is this woman never allowed to go out to a nice meal?

Note in the article the restaurant manager says he lost a child. He is referring to his own gratitude of having a child at all after having lost his first child, and his gratitude she was okay, not burdened with any disability. Children are a precious gift, and those who are blessed to have healthy, ordinary kids are most blessed of all.

To the other patrons it comes down to "Your child is giving me the creeps....remove her from my presence"

The mother is doing the best she can under the circumstances. She should not be expected to keep her child from public view because it makes you uncomfortable

Nice rant....has nothing to do with my position.

If people want to pretend that no one else in the world exists but them, they should stay home locked in a very small room. Then they can be the 'exclusive' lord of their little domain all they want.

Out in the real world there are real people, families, children, etc. If that doesn't work for ya, go find another planet to live on.

If it is a child behaving badly because the parents aren't parenting well, that's one thing. If it is a child with a disabiity, it's an entirely different matter. Possibly the mother didn't take the child to MacDonald's or the like becaus the atmosphere there would be far more difficult for a child with autism to handle. That could be very likely. Possibly she doesn't leave her with a baby sitter because it is difficult to find a sitter who knows how to take care of a child with autism. Possibly she's a single parent who can't afford a sitter and wanted a nice meal out for a change. Lots of possibilities here that make this not a clear cut case of just an annoying child with a parent making bad choices. How often does this happen to you, going to a 'nice' restaurant and dealing, not with poorly behaved children, but with a child with autism who may not be able to behave properly? Is this woman never allowed to go out to a nice meal?

Note in the article the restaurant manager says he lost a child. He is referring to his own gratitude of having a child at all after having lost his first child, and his gratitude she was okay, not burdened with any disability. Children are a precious gift, and those who are blessed to have healthy, ordinary kids are most blessed of all.

To the other patrons it comes down to "Your child is giving me the creeps....remove her from my presence"

The mother is doing the best she can under the circumstances. She should not be expected to keep her child from public view because it makes you uncomfortable

Nice rant....has nothing to do with my position.

Your position is absolutely reasonable. I really can't complain about it

BUT every time I see you post I, for some damn reason, want to steal a Soviet Sub!

It's theft if they received it. That meal can't be served again.
No. If it was take out you'd be right but it includes a service. The meal price includes a reasonable atmosphere. I am not obliged legally, morally or ethically to eat food when I'm subjected to a miserable experience. The restaurant should handle it, if not I'm not going to order a box to take it home or go face first into my chow with my fingers in my ears.

No. If it was take out you'd be right but it includes a service. The meal price includes a reasonable atmosphere. I am not obliged legally, morally or ethically to eat food when I'm subjected to a miserable experience. The restaurant should handle it, if not I'm not going to order a box to take it home or go face first into my chow with my fingers in my ears.

Sounds like you'd be happier eating at home - alone - anyway.

If it hits your table you're absolutely legally obligated to pay for it.

To not do so is theft whether you eat it or not because it's food you ordered and received. What you do with it after that is up to you, but you owe the restaurant the cost of the meal.

If it hits your table you're absolutely legally obligated to pay for it.

To not do so is theft whether you eat it or not because it's food you ordered and received. What you do with it after that is up to you, but you owe the restaurant the cost of the meal.
I'm not legally obligated to eat in chaos and that's the purpose of the meal. People don't buy meals at a restaurant to stare or fondle it. How far would you take that mindeset? If the cooks got in a fist fight and it upset your date would you still be obliged? The meal may have been provided, but the service wasn't. The service includes a place to sit in relative peace.

Forum List

Back