To the Woman and Child Who Sat at Table 9

To the Woman and Child Who Sat at Table 9*|&nbspTony Posnanski

This is all well and nice....BUT....what about the people who went to your restaurant to get away from their own children, had sitters, and needed a break from kids in general?

Your thoughts?

A lovely letter

I have to say, as a former restaurant manager, I was put in that position far to many times. I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong way to handle it.

I've never been in a situation, as a customer, like the above, or maybe I have, but simply chose to ignore it.

Like the song says. God bless the child

This is all well and nice....BUT....what about the people who went to your restaurant to get away from their own children, had sitters, and needed a break from kids in general?

Your thoughts?

There is nothing worse than going to a restaurant and having someone's brats run around screeching. I understand that sometimes, parents have to take their kids with them, but I wouldn't stand for any child making noises and disrupting my meal.
I wouldn't have been so kind.

I think a good way to handle it is to move the mother and child to another section of the restaurant. Maybe next to other children?
When I had the apartments, I put all the families in the back...where the playground was. Single folks, older folks...there were as far away as possible. And if someone with children were applying for the unit and that was all I had but it was in the middle of the more mature section...I would place them there until a unit in the back became available then move them there. With a reduction of rent for their time and trouble of having to move twice.
Worked out well and everyone was happy with the set up.
I don't know why restaurants cannot do that along with airlines. Kids can enterain other kids. Put them all in the front of the plane...or all towards the back of the plane where the changing tables are, restrooms, etc.

oh nice... emotional blackmail is now being used.

sorry, i work in the industry and your issues and problems should not spill over onto other costumers. I am sorry your kid has issues.... but i really don't care. Leave it at home... and get it a sitter.

what makes these parents feel... becasue they have to go through putting up with a problem child... that others should just smile and be happy they have to suffer through it as well?

'Do you know what its like to have a child with autism'?
No. I don't. And I don't care, and I won't accept that as an excuse for kid to be a pain in the backside.

'Do you know what its like to have a child with autism'?
No. I don't. And I don't care, and I won't accept that as an excuse for kid to be a pain in the backside.

bingo!

no i dont... nor do i want to.... or suffer through yours.

While i have sympathy for the mother... i have NO patients with HER not being considerate to others.

Parents of autistic children should go to an appropriate venue if they are taking their child out to eat with them.

McDonald's, Pizza Hut, KFC, Happy Panda, Golden Corral... there's tons of places that has a family friendly atmosphere.

If one is going out to eat at a nice restaurant, courtesy towards other diners should be shown because I guarantee, not all those other diners ARE the parent of an autistic child, so no, they won't relate to your problems.

Your thoughts?

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but... this is a completely different outlook than the one you had in a very similar thread. Why is that?

Actually, I agree with noomi and the others on what they said. I also feel the pain of the manager and having to make a choice. It isn't easy. So a happy medium is what I strive for. I guess it all depends on the kid, the parent, the others dining and if a location is available.

I'm sorry she has an autistic kid. But...I am there spending money to have peace and quiet at the restaurant. Maybe to get away from my own kids just to have a break. What about those people? Do they not count? Yes. They do.

Being a manager, a stewardess, a hostess, an apartment manager, a mod, an admin. When it comes to the public...one must do what is in the best interests of ALL.

I had a guy at my apartments and coughed a lot. A LOT. He also kept his windows open. Neighbors complained. Said I needed to ask him to move or go talk to him. What was I supposed to do? Tell the dude dying of lung cancer his coughing was disturbing his neighbors????? So..I went to him, asked if he could close his windows facing the courtyard. He said not a problem. The rest of the tenants were ok with that too. But being in that position SUCKED.

This scenario has happened to me before. When a kid is acting up in a restaurant, I discretely and politely bring it to the attention of the manager. I also inform the manager that if the situation is not brought under control, we (Me and the Mrs.) will leave the establishment.

This scenario has happened to me before. When a kid is acting up in a restaurant, I discretely and politely bring it to the attention of the manager. I also inform the manager that if the situation is not brought under control, we (Me and the Mrs.) will leave the establishment.

Do you preface your ultimatum with, "Do you know how much money I spend here?!"

Because that's always a ray of sunshine.

I think this restaurant guy has a kind heart but not much business sense.

Do you preface your ultimatum with, "Do you know how much money I spend here?!"

Because that's always a ray of sunshine.
The objective would be for me to enjoy my evening, so no, I don't discuss me spending $$$ with the manager. I want my evening to remain pleasant.

In most cases, the situation is taken are of.

Forum List

Back