The Working Poor finally getting some

Correll

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2015
Good article examining why wage growth had been lagging and is finally starting to take off,

AND, especially important, imo, the long ignored working poor are finally, getting the most benefit.

I consider this a wonderful thing, and think we need to do more of what led to these good numbers.

Discuss.

Why Wages Are Finally Rising, 10 Years After the Recession

"Average hourly earnings in April were 3.2 percent higher than a year earlier, the ninth straight month in which growth topped 3 percent, the Labor Department reported Friday.

Other measures diverge on the exact timing and rate of increase, but not on the basic trend: Wage growth, long stuck in neutral, has at last found a higher gear.

“We’ve spent several years going, ‘Where is the wage growth? Where is the wage growth?’” said Martha Gimbel, an economist for the job-search site Indeed. “And it turns out we just had to wait a few years for the labor market to get tighter....”

...The recent gains are going to those who need it most. Over the past year, low-wage workers have experienced the fastest pay increases, a shift from earlier in the recovery, when wage growth was concentrated at the top."

I have to admit, I quit reading when I got to this point...

And it turns out we just had to wait a few years for the labor market to get tighter.”

cb7.jpg

Good article examining why wage growth had been lagging and is finally starting to take off,

AND, especially important, imo, the long ignored working poor are finally, getting the most benefit.

I consider this a wonderful thing, and think we need to do more of what led to these good numbers.

Discuss.

"Average hourly earnings in April were 3.2 percent higher than a year earlier, the ninth straight month in which growth topped 3 percent, the Labor Department reported Friday.

Other measures diverge on the exact timing and rate of increase, but not on the basic trend: Wage growth, long stuck in neutral, has at last found a higher gear.

“We’ve spent several years going, ‘Where is the wage growth? Where is the wage growth?’” said Martha Gimbel, an economist for the job-search site Indeed. “And it turns out we just had to wait a few years for the labor market to get tighter....”

...The recent gains are going to those who need it most. Over the past year, low-wage workers have experienced the fastest pay increases, a shift from earlier in the recovery, when wage growth was concentrated at the top."
I’m surprised you liked that part about the role of minimum wage increases

And it turns out we just had to wait a few years for the labor market to get tighter.”

cb7.jpg

I've gotten a lot of flak on this site from people who disagreed strongly with that, arguing that automation or some other bs, meant that lower income workers would NEVER be able to get any benefit, and that it was a waste of time to even try for policy to help them.

Wage growth is very bad news for the investment class, time for a recession.

Discuss.

I don't. I think it is the wrong way to get there, and artificial band aid.

Tighten up the labor market, to give the power to the workers, and wages will rise.

Discuss.

Tighten up the labor market, to give the power to the workers, and wages will rise.
Just pointing out the reasoning in your link

cb7.jpg

I've gotten a lot of flak on this site from people who disagreed strongly with that, arguing that automation or some other bs, meant that lower income workers would NEVER be able to get any benefit, and that it was a waste of time to even try for policy to help them.

Policy is not helping them, a tight job market is.

It has been time for a recession for 2 years...it can only be held off so long. They are a built in part of our system

Discuss.

Just pointing out the reasoning in your link

What percentage of the rise was from increased min wage?

cb7.jpg

Trump's anti-immigration and trade policies are what made the labor market tight.

cb7.jpg

Trump's anti-immigration and trade policies are what made the labor market tight.

What caused the labor market to tighten prior to Trump taking office, considering it has not changed all that much and basically the same percent of the population is working now as was working prior to him taking office

Discuss.

The working poor in AmeriKKKa will be hard pressed to make ends meet, much less attain some semblance of a life replete with affordable health insurance that they can actually use without going bankrupt.
The few, negligible percentage points of increase in income level that the working poor may ever experience will do nothing more than to help the working poor survive; they will never 'prosper.'
Any meager increase in wages will be offset via inflationary factors. Within the context of the recent (past two years) economy inflationary factors have far exceeded any wage growth experienced by most all of the working class & the working poor.

Your statistic, while appearing good on paper, really means nothing. It's like economic 'treading water.'

Discuss.

The working poor in AmeriKKKa will be hard pressed to make ends meet, much less attain some semblance of a life replete with affordable health insurance that they can actually use without going bankrupt.
The few, negligible percentage points of increase in income level that the working poor may ever experience will do nothing more than to help the working poor survive; they will never 'prosper.'
Any meager increase in wages will be offset via inflationary factors. Within the context of the recent (past two years) economy inflationary factors have far exceeded any wage growth experienced by most all of the working class & the working poor.

Your statistic, while appearing good on paper, really means nothing. It's like economic 'treading water.'
12745735_1711779459063068_6093991169712805464_n.jpg

Discuss.

Nobody reads your shit. Leave.

Discuss.

I undesrtand you don't have teh ability to discuss afforable health insurab

Discuss.

Nobody reads my shit? You must have read my shit.

The thread topic is the working poor & incremental wage growth.

If you can't contribute to topical content then you should go jump off a bridge & go fuck off.

Discuss.

Discuss.

If you can't contribute to topical content then you should go jump off a bridge & go fuck off.
Nope. I read the first sentence then move on. Nothing but regurgitated libstained sewage.

Discuss.

Discuss.

Nope. I read the first sentence then move on. Nothing but regurgitated libstained sewage.
Don’t mind caddo... he eats paste
tenor.gif

If we keep the labor market tight, there is no reason to think that this could not become the new underlying trend.

cb7.jpg

What caused the labor market to tighten prior to Trump taking office, considering it has not changed all that much and basically the same percent of the population is working now as was working prior to him taking office

Hasn't changed that much? When was the last time lower income workers saw 4 per cent rise in wages?

Forum List

Back