The Working Poor finally getting some

Good article examining why wage growth had been lagging and is finally starting to take off,

AND, especially important, imo, the long ignored working poor are finally, getting the most benefit.

I consider this a wonderful thing, and think we need to do more of what led to these good numbers.

Discuss.

Why Wages Are Finally Rising, 10 Years After the Recession

"Average hourly earnings in April were 3.2 percent higher than a year earlier, the ninth straight month in which growth topped 3 percent, the Labor Department reported Friday.

Other measures diverge on the exact timing and rate of increase, but not on the basic trend: Wage growth, long stuck in neutral, has at last found a higher gear.

“We’ve spent several years going, ‘Where is the wage growth? Where is the wage growth?’” said Martha Gimbel, an economist for the job-search site Indeed. “And it turns out we just had to wait a few years for the labor market to get tighter....”

...The recent gains are going to those who need it most. Over the past year, low-wage workers have experienced the fastest pay increases, a shift from earlier in the recovery, when wage growth was concentrated at the top."

The working poor in AmeriKKKa will be hard pressed to make ends meet, much less attain some semblance of a life replete with affordable health insurance that they can actually use without going bankrupt.
The few, negligible percentage points of increase in income level that the working poor may ever experience will do nothing more than to help the working poor survive; they will never 'prosper.'
Any meager increase in wages will be offset via inflationary factors. Within the context of the recent (past two years) economy inflationary factors have far exceeded any wage growth experienced by most all of the working class & the working poor.

Your statistic, while appearing good on paper, really means nothing. It's like economic 'treading water.'
12745735_1711779459063068_6093991169712805464_n.jpg

I undesrtand you don't have teh ability to discuss afforable health insurab
Good article examining why wage growth had been lagging and is finally starting to take off,

AND, especially important, imo, the long ignored working poor are finally, getting the most benefit.

I consider this a wonderful thing, and think we need to do more of what led to these good numbers.

Discuss.

"Average hourly earnings in April were 3.2 percent higher than a year earlier, the ninth straight month in which growth topped 3 percent, the Labor Department reported Friday.

Other measures diverge on the exact timing and rate of increase, but not on the basic trend: Wage growth, long stuck in neutral, has at last found a higher gear.

“We’ve spent several years going, ‘Where is the wage growth? Where is the wage growth?’” said Martha Gimbel, an economist for the job-search site Indeed. “And it turns out we just had to wait a few years for the labor market to get tighter....”

...The recent gains are going to those who need it most. Over the past year, low-wage workers have experienced the fastest pay increases, a shift from earlier in the recovery, when wage growth was concentrated at the top."

The working poor in AmeriKKKa will be hard pressed to make ends meet, much less attain some semblance of a life replete with affordable health insurance that they can actually use without going bankrupt.
The few, negligible percentage points of increase in income level that the working poor may ever experience will do nothing more than to help the working poor survive; they will never 'prosper.'
Any meager increase in wages will be offset via inflationary factors. Within the context of the recent (past two years) economy inflationary factors have far exceeded any wage growth experienced by most all of the working class & the working poor.

Your statistic, while appearing good on paper, really means nothing. It's like economic 'treading water.'
Nobody reads your shit. Leave.

Nobody reads my shit? You must have read my shit.

The thread topic is the working poor & incremental wage growth.

If you can't contribute to topical content then you should go jump off a bridge & go fuck off.
Nope. I read the first sentence then move on. Nothing but regurgitated libstained sewage.

Yep. ANyone that would spell America with kkk in the middle is a piece of shit not worthy of any consideration.

Discuss.

I’m surprised you liked that part about the role of minimum wage increases

I don't. I think it is the wrong way to get there, and artificial band aid.

Tighten up the labor market, to give the power to the workers, and wages will rise.
Just pointing out the reasoning in your link

What percentage of the rise was from increased min wage?
Thanks left wingers!

Over 5 million workers will have higher pay on January 1 thanks to state minimum wage increases
On January 1, 2019, 19 states will raise their minimum wages, lifting pay for 5.2 million workers across the country.1 The increases, which range from a $0.05 inflation adjustment in Alaska to a $2.00 per hour increase in New York City, will give affected workers approximately $5.3 billion in increased wages over the course of 2019. Affected workers who work year-round will see their annual pay go up between $90 and $1,300, on average, depending on the size of the minimum wage change in their state.

According to your link:

The faster growth at the bottom is probably being fueled in part by recent minimum-wage increases in cities and states across the country.

According to your link:

The faster growth at the bottom is probably being fueled in part by recent minimum-wage increases in cities and states across the country.

Here is the actual quote, in context.

"The faster growth at the bottom is probably being fueled in part by recent minimum-wage increases in cities and states across the country. Research from the Economic Policy Institute, a liberal-leaning think tank, found that over the past five years, wages for low-wage workers rose 13 percent in states that raised their minimum wages, compared with 8.4 percent in states that did not.

estimates that the minimum-wage increases account for a quarter to a third of low-wage workers’ gains over the past three years. The rest is most likely a result of a tightening labor market that is forcing employers to raise pay even for workers at the bottom of the earnings ladder."

So, the vast majority of this rise is NOT from the min wage increases that you want to focus on.

Would you rather give power to the workers or to government?

Mexicrats don’t give two fucks about the working poor...if they did they wouldn’t encourage thirdworld trash to fuck them over.
FEWER WETBACKS = HIGHER WAGES
This shit isn’t complicated.

According to your link:

"The faster growth at the bottom is probably being fueled in part by recent minimum-wage increases in cities and states across the country. Research from the Economic Policy Institute, a liberal-leaning think tank, found that over the past five years, wages for low-wage workers rose 13 percent in states that raised their minimum wages, compared with 8.4 percent in states that did not.

estimates that the minimum-wage increases account for a quarter to a third of low-wage workers’ gains over the past three years. The rest is most likely a result of a tightening labor market that is forcing employers to raise pay even for workers at the bottom of the earnings ladder."

So, the vast majority of this rise is NOT from the min wage increases that you want to focus on.

higher wages lead to higher rates of (labor) market participation which can "tighten" the market.

Wage growth is very bad news for the investment class, time for a recession.

If we keep the labor market tight, there is no reason to think that this could not become the new underlying trend.

Translation, there needs to be more jobs than job seekers, or, exactly what Trump is doing. A rising economy means more jobs and better paying ones.

Discuss.

Tighten up the labor market, to give the power to the workers, and wages will rise.

Thanks left wingers!

Over 5 million workers will have higher pay on January 1 thanks to state minimum wage increases
On January 1, 2019, 19 states will raise their minimum wages, lifting pay for 5.2 million workers across the country.1 The increases, which range from a $0.05 inflation adjustment in Alaska to a $2.00 per hour increase in New York City, will give affected workers approximately $5.3 billion in increased wages over the course of 2019. Affected workers who work year-round will see their annual pay go up between $90 and $1,300, on average, depending on the size of the minimum wage change in their state.

Which could only be done because workers are in demand right now. Notice they couldn't do it until the economy kicked into high gear. Thanks, Trump.

According to your link:

higher wages lead to higher rates of (labor) market participation which can "tighten" the market.

No. Make jobs worth more than the labor costs and wages rise. Make jobs cost more than the labor is worth and wages stagnate or jobs are lost. You can't beat math.

If we keep the labor market tight, there is no reason to think that this could not become the new underlying trend.

Translation, there needs to be more jobs than job seekers, or, exactly what Trump is doing. A rising economy means more jobs and better paying ones.

But if we leave the gates open, an effectively infinite number of workers are willing to move here, keeping prices down, no matter who much demand rises.

Thanks left wingers!

Which could only be done because workers are in demand right now. Notice they couldn't do it until the economy kicked into high gear. Thanks, Trump.
Blue States have a fifteen dollar an hour goal.

According to your link:

No. Make jobs worth more than the labor costs and wages rise. Make jobs cost more than the labor is worth and wages stagnate or jobs are lost. You can't beat math.
easier said than done. Henry Ford doubled autoworker wages not minimum wages. Not all capitalists are that Good.

But if we leave the gates open, an effectively infinite number of workers are willing to move here, keeping prices down, no matter who much demand rises.
Tourism is the first, second, or third largest employer in twenty-nine States.

A tight labor market, gives the power to the worker.

So why has it taken three years?

That is heavily addressed in the article.

As have been repeatedly discussed, over the years, the unemployment rate, does not count those who are not looking for a job.

THus, there was a large portion of workers on the sidelines, have been drawn back into the slowly improving job market, thus delaying and slowing wage growth.

The implications are obvious.

I have to admit, I quit reading when I got to this point...

And it turns out we just had to wait a few years for the labor market to get tighter.”

cb7.jpg

I've gotten a lot of flak on this site from people who disagreed strongly with that, arguing that automation or some other bs, meant that lower income workers would NEVER be able to get any benefit, and that it was a waste of time to even try for policy to help them.

Policy is not helping them, a tight job market is.

Trump's anti-immigration and trade policies are what made the labor market tight.

What caused the labor market to tighten prior to Trump taking office, considering it has not changed all that much and basically the same percent of the population is working now as was working prior to him taking office

Hasn't changed that much? When was the last time lower income workers saw 4 per cent rise in wages?

I said the labor market, not the wages. Do try and keep up.

A tight labor market, gives the power to the worker.

So why has it taken three years?

That is heavily addressed in the article.

As have been repeatedly discussed, over the years, the unemployment rate, does not count those who are not looking for a job.

THus, there was a large portion of workers on the sidelines, have been drawn back into the slowly improving job market, thus delaying and slowing wage growth.

The implications are obvious.

Basically the same percent of people are working now as were working the day Trump took office, the percent has gone up 1 tenth of one percent.

True that. I find it interesting that the same crew that wants basically open borders also complains that wages are too low.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back