The Working Poor finally getting some

I don't want to be compared to the rest of the world. I want to be compared to the last generation of Americans, and I want to be doing better, and I want the same for my child.

THAT'S the goal. That is the American Dream.

And it is up the individual to make that happen. It is not my job to make the American Dream a reality for you and your children.

Economic and immigration policy effects that environment that individuals work in to make that happen.

We can choose policy to make it more achievable for more individuals,

or we can choose to policy that will make it harder and harder so that fewer and fewer people can make it.

Why should we choose to make it harder for our fellow citizens to succeed?

Starving companies of employees so that they cannot grow is making it harder for our fellow citizens to succeed in the future. you are selling the future for a short term gain now.

You just completely ignored the interests of the workers, that we were talking about, in your response.

They can grow. They just have to win the competition for workers.

You ever negotiate with an employer who was struggling to find workers?

You just completely ignored the interests of the workers, that we were talking about, in your response.

The worker right now will come out ahead, in the long run the results will shit and the worker in the future will suffer.

If there is not enough employees to go around, then there cannot be growth, some companies will grow while other stagnate. you are right, this is a great time to be an employee, but it is not sustainable.

you only want to focus on the worker, not the one paying the worker, not the one that actually created the job.

Perhaps employers have it too easy finding highly qualified highly productive workers. Waaaassy to easy.

Not right now they are not.

But there is a hell of a lot of poaching going on.

I have gotten more emails from recruiters in the last few months than I normally get in a year, as have most everyone I know.
a higher minimum wage tends to lead to an increase in labor market participation.

from one perspective, there is no unemployment only underpayment under true capitalism.

a higher minimum wage tends to lead to an increase in labor market participation.

To a point. Also, increased wages by one spouse can lead to the other leaving the job market for things like raising the kids. A good economy/financial market also leads more people to feel comfortable retire, thus lowering participation.

from one perspective, there is no unemployment only underpayment under true capitalism

It is a silly perspective.

Well if they can't find employees in this new generation of young adults that's ALL on the employers. Something is awry with what they are offering.

there are currently more than a million more open positions than people looking for a job...according to the government. That includes this new generation of young adults
equal protection of the law for unemployment compensation in our at-will employment States would enable Labor as the least wealthy to take better advantage of market based opportunities for upward mobility.

it is more cost effective for the least wealthy to try to upgrade their skill sets locally. it may just take a few classes or a course or two for Labor to be better able improve their marketability for the jobs available.

Record Six Million Unfilled Jobs In US - What's The Problem?

Good article examining why wage growth had been lagging and is finally starting to take off,

AND, especially important, imo, the long ignored working poor are finally, getting the most benefit.

I consider this a wonderful thing, and think we need to do more of what led to these good numbers.

Discuss.

Why Wages Are Finally Rising, 10 Years After the Recession

"Average hourly earnings in April were 3.2 percent higher than a year earlier, the ninth straight month in which growth topped 3 percent, the Labor Department reported Friday.

Other measures diverge on the exact timing and rate of increase, but not on the basic trend: Wage growth, long stuck in neutral, has at last found a higher gear.

“We’ve spent several years going, ‘Where is the wage growth? Where is the wage growth?’” said Martha Gimbel, an economist for the job-search site Indeed. “And it turns out we just had to wait a few years for the labor market to get tighter....”

...The recent gains are going to those who need it most. Over the past year, low-wage workers have experienced the fastest pay increases, a shift from earlier in the recovery, when wage growth was concentrated at the top."
Thanks to minimum wage hikes that we passed that are finally kicking in.

21 states passed a minimum wage increase a while back but it wasn’t supposed to kick in till 2019. Republicans objected to this increase in pay. Now you’re taking credit for it. Nice.

So your happy paying for a $11 dollar hamburger basket that used to cost $7 bucks?

It's already 11 bucks at many places with an 8 dollar an hour min. wage.

Well if they can't find employees in this new generation of young adults that's ALL on the employers. Something is awry with what they are offering.

there are currently more than a million more open positions than people looking for a job...according to the government. That includes this new generation of young adults
equal protection of the law for unemployment compensation in our at-will employment States would enable Labor as the least wealthy to take better advantage of market based opportunities for upward mobility.

it is more cost effective for the least wealthy to try to upgrade their skill sets locally. it may just take a few classes or a course or two for Labor to be better able improve their marketability for the jobs available.

stop-beating-dead-horses-300x250.jpg

Good article examining why wage growth had been lagging and is finally starting to take off,

AND, especially important, imo, the long ignored working poor are finally, getting the most benefit.

I consider this a wonderful thing, and think we need to do more of what led to these good numbers.

Discuss.

"Average hourly earnings in April were 3.2 percent higher than a year earlier, the ninth straight month in which growth topped 3 percent, the Labor Department reported Friday.

Other measures diverge on the exact timing and rate of increase, but not on the basic trend: Wage growth, long stuck in neutral, has at last found a higher gear.

“We’ve spent several years going, ‘Where is the wage growth? Where is the wage growth?’” said Martha Gimbel, an economist for the job-search site Indeed. “And it turns out we just had to wait a few years for the labor market to get tighter....”

...The recent gains are going to those who need it most. Over the past year, low-wage workers have experienced the fastest pay increases, a shift from earlier in the recovery, when wage growth was concentrated at the top."

21 states passed a minimum wage increase a while back but it wasn’t supposed to kick in till 2019. Republicans objected to this increase in pay. Now you’re taking credit for it. Nice.

So your happy paying for a $11 dollar hamburger basket that used to cost $7 bucks?

im hearing, that in the most extreme cases of fast food places not getting enough help, they may have to turn to "Naked Drive Thru" girls to fill some positions. and offer them 35.00 hr

Discuss.

im hearing, that in the most extreme cases of fast food places not getting enough help, they may have to turn to "Naked Drive Thru" girls to fill some positions. and offer them 35.00 hr
If only they were worth looking at(the min. wage ones)

What I dislike is how underwriters and the insurance industry has a stranglehold on everything from our personal lives to our businesses...

The worker right now will come out ahead, in the long run the results will shit and the worker in the future will suffer.

If there is not enough employees to go around, then there cannot be growth, some companies will grow while other stagnate. you are right, this is a great time to be an employee, but it is not sustainable.

you only want to focus on the worker, not the one paying the worker, not the one that actually created the job.

We "sustained" 50 years of it being a crappy time to be an employee.

I refuse to believe that the only way to be sustainable is for the worker to always get fucked.

I refuse to believe that the only way to be sustainable is for the worker to always get fucked.

During those 50 years we had 6 recessions, which always flips the job market. We will have another one sooner rather than later.

The worker will always get fucked before the employer, because if the employer if fucked, then every employee would be as well.

Like it or not, the employer holds all the risk, thus they also hold most of the power.

Personally, I am ok with it being so.

Discuss.

if this happens under a "President Biden",,,i wonder how often we would see him actually working

if this happens under a "President Biden",,,i wonder how often we would see him actually working
I doubt he does much but opens a massage chair for women in the Oval office....

During those 50 years we had 6 recessions, which always flips the job market. We will have another one sooner rather than later.

The worker will always get fucked before the employer, because if the employer if fucked, then every employee would be as well.

Like it or not, the employer holds all the risk, thus they also hold most of the power.

Personally, I am ok with it being so.

Recessions do not change the underlying trends.

THe underlying trend,though recession and boom over the last 50 years has been on of wage stagnation, especially on the low end.

Your fear that we cannot have growth without a labor surplus, is unproven.

Give it a couple of years, to see how it goes. We gave Free Trade and High Immigration 50 years.

THe underlying trend,though recession and boom over the last 50 years has been on of wage stagnation, especially on the low end.

The easier you are to replace, the lower your wages will be for the most part. This is not only not bad, it is the way it should be.

It is basic common sense. A company cannot grow if they cannot fill new positions.[/QUOTE]

thank Goodness for our federal doctrine of separation of powers; the right wing has nothing but inferior arguments.

thank Goodness for our federal doctrine of separation of powers; the right wing has nothing but inferior arguments.

non sequitur much?

The easier you are to replace, the lower your wages will be for the most part. This is not only not bad, it is the way it should be.

It is basic common sense. A company cannot grow if they cannot fill new positions.
[/QUOTE]

1. I'm not asking for them to make more than doctors. But the difference of a few bucks an hour, can be the difference between abject poverty and a poor but good life. I've observed this personally multiple times. There is no reason to NOT pursue policy to benefit these Americans.

2. Growth that only benefits the owner at the expense of the workers, is not as good as stability that benefits the more numerous workers. Let us do this for a couple of years, and see what kind of results we get. I'm betting it will be better than the last 50 years.

Forum List

Back