The Ride of a Lifetime

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Meet The Guy Who Drove Across The U.S. In A Record 28 Hours 50 Minutes

The linked article describes an attempt to set a new record for the trans-continental drive pioneered by Brock Yates of Car & Driver magazine, and memorialized in the profoundly ridiculous movie, "Canonball Run."

The driver chose a well-used V8, 2-seat Mercedes for the trip and fitted it out with two large auxiliary fuel tanks and (among other things) a bedpan. (13 mpg average). There was also a co-driver and a navigator on board. The timing and route were documented by a GPS tracking firm. Average speed: Ninety-eight Fucking Miles per Hour.

No traffic tickets, and no real difficult issues en route due to months of pre-planning. The pre-flight maintenance bill on the MB was over Eleven Grand.

The driver could not publicize his accomplishment until a couple years after the fact, due to concerns about the statutes of limitations for traffic violations.

It is an interesting read for anyone who thinks of himself as a Gear-head. As with a lot of such adventures, one can only say, "You gotta be Crazie."

Naah...the ride of a lifetime would be the Iron Butt Association's 50CC. That is: coast to coast in <50 hours, on a motorcycle! (And yes, I WILL do that someday...)

Brock Yates used to do the TV Announcing for the NHRA and Diamond P when they were on the Nashville Network. I don't know why he even got the job in the first place because he didn't really know that much about Drag Racing and he usually flubbed the Racers names. I glad he moved away from the NHRA.

And now I just can't stand listening to his voice.

Naah...the ride of a lifetime would be the Iron Butt Association's 50CC. That is: coast to coast in <50 hours, on a motorcycle! (And yes, I WILL do that someday...)
I have a friend that works in Alaska and is from Canada, in the 1980's-90's that would ride his harley from Alaska to Arkansas every year,,till he got to old...

Brock Yates used to do the TV Announcing for the NHRA and Diamond P when they were on the Nashville Network. I don't know why he even got the job in the first place because he didn't really know that much about Drag Racing and he usually flubbed the Racers names. I glad he moved away from the NHRA.

And now I just can't stand listening to his voice.

Brock Yates is a dickhead. He fucked the Mopar Action team out of a class win on the last One Lap Of America they ran.

Forum List

Back