Our bee hive is ALIVE!!

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
We've had this hive for years and years. Year before last, we had bees but then last year, no bees so we thought the hive was dead. But, we're seeing bees again. We had fed them last year and again this spring so maybe that helped.

This is at the house we plan to sell later this years so we're torn about what to do with the hive. If we move it to our lake house, do we risk killing the bees? Bees get moved all the time and really,would moving these bees be any different from buying new bees?

Alternatively, we could give the hive to a guy who works for us. He really wants it and we know he would take care of it. We could possibly leave it where it is but not all potential buyers want a bee hive. We want a hive at the lake house so we're discussing what to do.

If anyone is interested in bee keeping, this is an excellent resource.We also make wine and mead and they have supplies for that as well.

Catalog 2015

Episode of Alaska Last Frontier showed some moving their hive after wasps attacked it killing many of the drones. Queen survived so they moved the hive along with what bees survived. Seemed fine. All I got though.

What little I know, long as the Queen is alive and some of the drones to reproduce, everything should be fine.

We've had this hive for years and years. Year before last, we had bees but then last year, no bees so we thought the hive was dead. But, we're seeing bees again. We had fed them last year and again this spring so maybe that helped.

This is at the house we plan to sell later this years so we're torn about what to do with the hive. If we move it to our lake house, do we risk killing the bees? Bees get moved all the time and really,would moving these bees be any different from buying new bees?

Alternatively, we could give the hive to a guy who works for us. He really wants it and we know he would take care of it. We could possibly leave it where it is but not all potential buyers want a bee hive. We want a hive at the lake house so we're discussing what to do.

If anyone is interested in bee keeping, this is an excellent resource.We also make wine and mead and they have supplies for that as well.

Catalog 2015
you can call beekeepers and they will pay you for the privilege of taking them off your hands

Catalog 2015

Interesting...Angel and I have been kicking this idea around for a couple of years...now I know who to do to if I have questions.

Did having a hive open you up to any personal liability?

Also, I have an article around here in a back issue of Backwoodsman Magazine about transporting bees. I'll see if I can't dig it up.

Moving bees isn't very hard and if we decide to keep them, we'll move them ourselves. There are companies and even individuals who make their living moving bees from field to field to pollinate and then move on. With the huge die-off, this has become even more common.

The problem we might have is that our hives are really old and could fall apart in transit. Not good. We need to replace the hives anyway and we're talking about moving them to the new hive before we move them to the lake.

The whole thing is fraught with possible problems though so might just buy new bees and give our old hives to a guy who works for us. He'd make a good bee mommy.

We've never been threatened with any kind of liability issue but most people don't know the hives are there.

Last edited:

Catalog 2015
Have you heard of this? Flow Hive Honey on Tap Directly From Your Beehive Indiegogo

Forum List

Back