The Pliocene: The Last Time Earth had >400 ppm of Atmospheric CO2 (3 Mil yrs ago)

What Earth was like last time CO2 levels were so crazily high

"We’re on our way to the Pliocene." - April 18, 2023

The last time CO2 levels were as high as today, ocean waters drowned the lands where metropolises like Houston, Miami, and New York City now exist.

It’s a time called the Pliocene or mid-Pliocene, some 3 million years ago,(opens in a new tab) when sea levels were around 30 feet higher(opens in a new tab) (but possibly much more and giant camels dwelled in a forested high Arctic. The Pliocene was a significantly warmer world, likely at some 5 degrees Fahrenheit (around 3 degrees Celsius) warmer than pre-Industrial temperatures of the late 1800s. Much of the Arctic, which today is largely clad in ice, had melted. Heat-trapping carbon dioxide levels, a major temperature lever, hovered around 400 parts per million, or ppm. Today, these levels are similar but relentlessly rising, at over 420 ppm.

Humanity is currently on track to warm Earth to Pliocene-like temperatures by century’s end — unless nations ambitiously slash carbon emissions in the coming decades. Sea levels, of course, won’t instantly rise by tens of feet: Miles-thick ice sheets take many centuries to thousands of years to melt. But, critically, humanity is already setting the stage for a relatively quick return to Pliocene climes, or climes at least significantly warmer than now. It’s happening fast. When CO2 naturally increases in the atmosphere, pockets of ancient air preserved in ice show this CO2 rise happens gradually, over thousands of years. But today, carbon dioxide levels are skyrocketing as humans burn long-buried fossil fuels.

"CO2 in the atmosphere has gone up 100 ppm in my lifetime,"
said Kathleen Benison, a geologist at West Virginia University who researches past climates. “That’s incredibly fast geologically."

`

Last edited:
So geological perspective might help make things more clear.
The Cambrian explosion happened more than 500 million years ago. It was when most of the major animal groups started to appear in the fossil record, a time of rapid expansion of different forms of life on Earth.

While there has been a lot of research into exactly when the Cambrian explosion kicked off, little has been done to nail down when this burst of evolution ended.
The Cambrian explosion happened more than 500 million years ago. It was when most of the major animal groups started to appear in the fossil record, a time of rapid expansion of different forms of life on Earth.

While there has been a lot of research into exactly when the Cambrian explosion kicked off, little has been done to nail down when this burst of evolution ended.

As one will see in the following chart, when that 'explosion' of thousands of new forms of flora and fauna appeared, CO2 levels were going from 7000ppm to about 4500ppm, and average global temperatures were about 10 degrees Celsius higher than we have now. And last time CO2 levels were as low as they are now was about 275 million to 325 million years ago. ;
Global-Temperature-and-CO2-levels-over-600-million-years-Source-MacRae-2008.ppm

For added perspective and context, here is the chart of ice ages in "recent" times;
ice_ages2.gif

And the larger scale cycle of ice ages;
ice_ages1.gif

Note how higher average global temperatures were back then during the more normal and longer warm periods. Life on Earth still thrived and expanded.

So geological perspective might help make things more clear.

As one will see in the following chart, when that 'explosion' of thousands of new forms of flora and fauna appeared, CO2 levels were going from 7000ppm to about 4500ppm, and average global temperatures were about 10 degrees Celsius higher than we have now. And last time CO2 levels were as low as they are now was about 275 million to 325 million years ago. ;

For added perspective and context, here is the chart of ice ages in "recent" times;
ice_ages2.gif

And the larger scale cycle of ice ages;
ice_ages1.gif

Note how higher average global temperatures were back then during the more normal and longer warm periods. Life on Earth still thrived and expanded.

WTF!
Buddy you are all over the IRRELEVANT Place.
The old bury em with charts IDIOCY of a completely STUPID skeptic.

Cambrian? 600 Million years? 2.4 BILLION years? - You Dum Fukk.
So what? You're talking completely different atmosphere and no human/mammals.

BUT, We are merely trying to decide if the warming of the last 130 years is random or AGW caused.... and is or will further affect us/HUMANS and our planet as it exists NOW. This time.

I only went back to 3 mil because it was the last time an the earth similar in life/mammal supporting capability.
I also pointed out our CO2 spike happened 100-200 Faster than Natural ones.

Additionally, since a 100 yr warming spike caused by us would not be noticeable on your charts )(.01 pixel) one should use a graph that WOULD show such spike cause by us if it happened

ie
Marcott - 10,000 years graphic
It was actually COOLING Naturally/gradually until we spiked it.
and the spike has gone higher as this ends 20 years ago.

dn23247-1_800.jpg

You crazy FVKKER you understand NOTHING.
`

Last edited:
I'm a senior and this is just a (killer) 1 br condo I bought very well... along with a larger residence in another state.
I could sell the former for 2x+ what paid 8 yrs ago. Prices have gone crazy.
`
You seem to have a Hang up up ONE industrial food company!
WTF/Get over it clown.
Why should I give a shit about Heinz? (and more Idiotically Heinz only)
You think I'm a Marxist who hates wealthy people and food/ANY manufacturing?

Hopefully the Grid will continue to get more renewable every year and we will have less emissions.

(BTW IGNORE EMH, HE'S MENTALLY ILL IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED.

Huge Quadruple/Quintuple spacing and JPGs is one part of it.)
I have a hang up with Hypocrisy of the Nth degree. Too many Marxist Elites are making millions of dollars producing tons of CO2 yet you bitch an moan about the little guy just because he drives a CE vehicle.

I have a hang up with Hypocrisy of the Nth degree. Too many Marxist Elites are making millions of dollars producing tons of CO2 yet you bitch an moan about the little guy just because he drives a CE vehicle.
Again I am not a "Marxist Elite" or anti-capitalist
Your reply is NON-RESPONSIVE to me saying the OPPOSITE of what you have Tried to Foist/allege.
Again. (#3 or 4)

WTF/Get over it clown.​
Hopefully the Grid will continue to get more renewable every year and we will have less emissions.​

Yet now you invoke "Marxist Elite."
And I don't and never have "begrudged a little guy driving a CE."
YOU are a DELUSIONAL RWer who thinks anyone who wants a cleaner planet is a hypocrite "Marxist Elite."
That's Conspiracy talk you Nutbag.
SOROS! SOROS! SOROS!
As I have said here before I drive a 2006 (6C-AWD) Toyota Highlander with remarkably low mileage (lived in NYC for a good while with it, no car needed save weekends in summer) and owned it since new.
`

Last edited:
Again I am not a "Marxist Elite" or anti-capitalist
Your reply is NON-RESPONSIVE to me saying the OPPOSITE of what you have Tried to Foist/allege.
Again. (#3 or 4)

WTF/Get over it clown.​
Hopefully the Grid will continue to get more renewable every year and we will have less emissions.​

Yet now you invoke "Marxist Elite."
And I don't and never have "begrudged a little guy driving a CE."
YOU are a DELUSIONAL RWer who thinks anyone who wants a cleaner planet is a hypocrite "Marxist Elite."
That's Conspiracy talk you Nutbag.
SOROS! SOROS! SOROS!
As I have said here before I drive a 2006 (6C-AWD) Toyota Highlander with remarkably low mileage (lived in NYC for a good while with it, no car needed save weekends in summer) and owned it since new.
`
Because you fucking moron, Melissa Heinz Kerry is married to John F'ing Kerry(who won 3 purple hearts) who is jetting around yelling at the world that CO2 is killing the planet. Do you have your head shoved way up Uranus that you cant see the fucking hypocrisy? Dont answer that, i know the answer already.

liberals-head-up-his-ass.jpg

Because you fucking moron, Melissa Heinz Kerry is married to John F'ing Kerry(who won 3 purple hearts) who is jetting around yelling at the world that CO2 is killing the planet. Do you have your head shoved way up Uranus that you cant see the fucking hypocrisy? Dont answer that, i know the answer already.

View attachment 790458
WHO THE FVCK CARES.
We are talking about Climate and the Pliocene.
Because of your DELUSIONAL Conspiracy bias you are unable to have a coherent conversation.
John WTF Kerry and (who) Melissa WTF Heinz means nothing to me and I am NOT a "elitist Marxist,' nor are other people who want a cleaner safer world. You're the one who is suggesting getting rid of Ketchup!

You are an Obsessed ConspiracYst NUT. One of 1000 here on USMessBoard who needs to be moderated OUT of here for Your Insanity. At least stay in the Politics section A$$hole.

GET THE FVCK out of here.

`

Last edited:

Pliocene-Like Monsoons Are Returning to the American Southwest

As carbon concentrations rise, conditions are becoming more like they were 3 million years ago, when the area was wetter and the rain was heavier.
Nov 30, 2022

FOR RESEARCHERS SEEKING to understand the effects of climate change on the weather of the North American Southwest, the answer lies in traveling millions of years back in time on wings of wax—leaf wax.

Plants make waxes on their leaves composed of carbon and the hydrogen drawn from rainwater. When the plant dies, those waxes turn into dust that floats on the wind, then drifts down to form layers preserved in marine and terrestrial sediments. Trapped within those sediments is a timeline tracing pictures from prehistoric times: which vegetation flourished, or the intensity of the rainfall.
“Plants lock in the environments that existed when they were growing,” says Tripti Bhattacharya, a professor in Syracuse University’s Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences who led a recent study examining the Southwestern monsoon season in the Pliocene, 3 million years ago.

The story of what happened then is the story of what will happen to a warming world. Summer rainfall in the Pliocene created wetter conditions and a landscape of lakes—not the deserts of today. And now, she notes, atmospheric carbon dioxide levels are once again what they were in the Pliocene: “It’s a snapshot of the world we’re likely to go toward if we don’t curb emissions.”
[.....]

`

As carbon concentrations rise, conditions are becoming more like they were 3 million years ago, when the area was wetter and the rain was heavier.
Nov 30, 2022
FOR RESEARCHERS SEEKING to understand the effects of climate change on the weather of the North American Southwest, the answer lies in traveling millions of years back in time on wings of wax—leaf wax.

Plants make waxes on their leaves composed of carbon and the hydrogen drawn from rainwater. When the plant dies, those waxes turn into dust that floats on the wind, then drifts down to form layers preserved in marine and terrestrial sediments. Trapped within those sediments is a timeline tracing pictures from prehistoric times: which vegetation flourished, or the intensity of the rainfall.
“Plants lock in the environments that existed when they were growing,” says Tripti Bhattacharya, a professor in Syracuse University’s Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences who led a recent study examining the Southwestern monsoon season in the Pliocene, 3 million years ago.

The story of what happened then is the story of what will happen to a warming world. Summer rainfall in the Pliocene created wetter conditions and a landscape of lakes—not the deserts of today. And now, she notes, atmospheric carbon dioxide levels are once again what they were in the Pliocene: “It’s a snapshot of the world we’re likely to go toward if we don’t curb emissions.”
[.....]

`

What would be worse than a wetter American Southwest?

Nov 30, 2022

[.....]

`

What would be worse than a wetter American Southwest?

A drier one ya sandy twat.

WTF!
Buddy you are all over the IRRELEVANT Place.
The old bury em with charts IDIOCY of a completely STUPID skeptic.

Cambrian? 600 Million years? 2.4 BILLION years? - You Dum Fukk.
So what? You're talking completely different atmosphere and no human/mammals.

BUT, We are merely trying to decide if the warming of the last 130 years is random or AGW caused.... and is or will further affect us/HUMANS and our planet as it exists NOW. This time.

I only went back to 3 mil because it was the last time an the earth similar in life/mammal supporting capability.
I also pointed out our CO2 spike happened 100-200 Faster than Natural ones.

Additionally, since a 100 yr warming spike caused by us would not be noticeable on your charts )(.01 pixel) one should use a graph that WOULD show such spike cause by us if it happened

ie
Marcott - 10,000 years graphic
It was actually COOLING Naturally/gradually until we spiked it.
and the spike has gone higher as this ends 20 years ago.

dn23247-1_800.jpg

`
So swearing, cursing, profanity, name-calling, etc. ???
Would seem you have no rational, logical, data based case, so resort to emotional outburst instead.

What has yet to be proven is that CO2 levels have any effect, major and causative to average global temperature levels.
We have yet to see int he laboratory a replicable and documented case showing how a couple degree increase in one part CO2, will transfer in equal amount to the other 2,499 parts of Nitrogen, Oxygen, Argon, etc. So the basic premise of the human-caused/anthropogenic global warming, or cooling remains a far from proven hypothesis.

The graph you show displays a slight variation of just under 2 degrees C, but no linkage to the CO2 levels; whereas the graph I presented showed a range of over 10 degrees C. But key is that over a span of 600 million years we see a high of 7000 ppm with an average of around 2000-2500ppm and yet temperatures did not flux in lockstep to the CO2 levels. Also, that for most of that time-span of @600 million years, CO2 levels have been several times higher than present, and average global temperatures have been about 10m degrees C. higher than present.

YET, life still carried on, Earth didn't "die" or get "destroyed" and Evolution continued on a track to eventually produce we humans.

Again, main point is that this chart shows no proof or linkage of CO2 levels to global temperatures and shows that with both at several times higher than present there was no negative result, impact.

It's called context, and prior data examples/proofs, which don't match your phony, sham, scam pseudo-science.

I present charts because they allow others to see how the data expresses, and a visual makes the data easier to grasp and understand. Where this one was found there are several others, but this one is the easiest to grasp and understand. Except maybe in your case, unless you are intentionally being disingenuous and dis-informing. For reference, the chart again;

Page of other charts;

Again, we need to see proof of prior effect to match the hypothesis of ACC/AGW, yet the record of past millions of years shows CO2 has no major effect on Climate when at levels below 1% of total atmosphere ratio.

I'll explain and address the other charts in a following post (which may be awhile since dinner is almost ready, and I do have other priorities to attend.).

So in conclusion, CO2 levels are at a record low when compared to the past 600 million yearsd when for about 95+% of time they have been significantly higher than 400ppm.

Would seem this applies to you;

Last edited:
The claim is ocean "rise"

The evidence is fudge.

Last time abu tried to "document" ocean "rise" with was Norfolk Naval Base. Abu's evidence was a photo of a 2017 storm surge. The rebuttal was the Google images past year.... all showing NO OCEAN RISE...

We are STILL waiting for ONE SINGLE PHOTO of a landmark on Earth sinking...

They can post all the fudge they want. They do not have one single landmark sinking...

So swearing, cursing, profanity, name-calling, etc. ???
Would seem you have no rational, logical, data based case, so resort to emotional outburst instead.

What has yet to be proven is that CO2 levels have any effect, major and causative to average global temperature levels.
We have yet to see int he laboratory a replicable and documented case showing how a couple degree increase in one part CO2, will transfer in equal amount to the other 2,499 parts of Nitrogen, Oxygen, Argon, etc. So the basic premise of the human-caused/anthropogenic global warming, or cooling remains a far from proven hypothesis.

The graph you show displays a slight variation of just under 2 degrees C, but no linkage to the CO2 levels; whereas the graph I presented showed a range of over 10 degrees C. But key is that over a span of 600 million years we see a high of 7000 ppm with an average of around 2000-2500ppm and yet temperatures did not flux in lockstep to the CO2 levels. Also, that for most of that time-span of @600 million years, CO2 levels have been several times higher than present, and average global temperatures have been about 10m degrees C. higher than present.

YET, life still carried on, Earth didn't "die" or get "destroyed" and Evolution continued on a track to eventually produce we humans.

Again, main point is that this chart shows no proof or linkage of CO2 levels to global temperatures and shows that with both at several times higher than present there was no negative result, impact.

It's called context, and prior data examples/proofs, which don't match your phony, sham, scam pseudo-science.

I present charts because they allow others to see how the data expresses, and a visual makes the data easier to grasp and understand. Where this one was found there are several others, but this one is the easiest to grasp and understand. Except maybe in your case, unless you are intentionally being disingenuous and dis-informing. For reference, the chart again;

Page of other charts;

Again, we need to see proof of prior effect to match the hypothesis of ACC/AGW, yet the record of past millions of years shows CO2 has no major effect on Climate when at levels below 1% of total atmosphere ratio.

I'll explain and address the other charts in a following post (which may be awhile since dinner is almost ready, and I do have other priorities to attend.).

So in conclusion, CO2 levels are at a record low when compared to the past 600 million yearsd when for about 95+% of time they have been significantly higher than 400ppm.

Would seem this applies to you;
Dear Clown,
You don't even understand the debate.
Your graph/s and its scale would NOT make it possible to show and discern the time period in question.
The last 150 years and it several thousand yer predecessors 5K-10K years.

Further, Conditions on the planet and it's orbital position to the Sun is Not shown on your 600+ Million year graphs. Solar tilt/orbital position the 99% usual cause of warming. Making the giganta graph/s IRRELEVANT.

Virtually ALL Previous Warmings were caused by the sun (orbit position/tilt) with CO2 Lagging but exacerbating it.
ALL Climate scientists have OF COURSE (YOU IDIOT) have seen the previous periods, yet 97% understand what was UNIQUE To THIS warming/AGW

WE Drove CO2 FIRST THIS TIME and at 100-200x the rate of nature.
so that CO2, a Greenhouse Gas, (along with others like Methane) Caused this warming as they have directly measured solar radiation-in/Forcing ...and it has NOT changed over the last 50+ years

What HAS Changed is the thickening/denser GHG Blanket Trapping that is blocking heat from escaping back out into space.

That's the very simple version so that even a SCORCHING MORON like you can understand.. but won't accept as you would lose your MAGAt credentials/Low IQ circle/Self-image.
Fukk your MAGAt Stupidity, Politics, and Hostility. I deal in science, not Marxism vs Fascism
I am in the STEM party. Facts only. I post in Env and Sci section and only rarely politics.
Got it Rudi?
NO charge.
Noblesse oblige.
`
`

Last edited:
I'm a senior and this is just a (killer) 1 br condo I bought very well... along with a larger residence in another state.
I could sell the former for 2x+ what paid 8 yrs ago. Prices have gone crazy.
`
WTF/Get over it clown.

Hopefully the Grid will continue to get more renewable every year and we will have less emissions.

(BTW IGNORE EMH, HE'S MENTALLY ILL IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED.

Huge Quadruple/Quintuple spacing and JPGs is one part of it.)
How can you have less emissions when millions of illegal are crossing the border buying up the Ketchup and Mustard bottles (that require large amounts of CO2) that is supposed to go to US citizens?

Virtually ALL Previous Warmings were caused by the sun (orbit position/tilt) with CO2 Lagging but exacerbating it.

That is completely unsubstantiated bullshit. McBullshit.

That claim says 2.5 mile thick glaciers on Chicago in the past million years were from an ice age that started in Northern Canada 75k years ago. That argument is laughable. Antarctica is a 40+ million year old continent specific ice age and we've pulled 800k years of ice core data (and there are claims that more can be recovered) from the 2.5 mile thick glaciers there.

Greenland's continent specific ice age is over a million years old and none of that ice is yet 2 miles thick.

This Milankovich aka McBullshit stuff is crack pipe worthy. It is Dennis Quaid action movie silly. By every measure we have today of ice age glacier, the McBullshit is off by at least a factor of 10. And Toddster quoted a study that "dated" wood left outside unfrozen for 20k plus years, nevermind wood, trunk, roots and all in nature decomposes fully in 100 years. The study was complete fraud.

The destruction of McBullshit is all here with links...

I am against illegal Immigration, which is NOT the subject here.
But they may get cleaner heat and cooking than burning trees/wood at home.
`

EDIT: Please Ignore Mentally Ill EMH as he makes the same absurd claims hour after hour.
Unfortunately this is USMB, not ie, PoliticalForum where her was quickly removed.
`

Illegal aliens will emit more CO2 here than they did in their home country.

That is completely unsubstantiated bullshit. McBullshit.

That claim says 2.5 mile thick glaciers on Chicago in the past million years were from an ice age that started in Northern Canada 75k years ago. That argument is laughable. Antarctica is a 40+ million year old continent specific ice age and we've pulled 800k years of ice core data (and there are claims that more can be recovered) from the 2.5 mile thick glaciers there.

Greenland's continent specific ice age is over a million years old and none of that ice is yet 2 miles thick.

This Milankovich aka McBullshit stuff is crack pipe worthy. It is Dennis Quaid action movie silly. By every measure we have today of ice age glacier, the McBullshit is off by at least a factor of 10. And Toddster quoted a study that "dated" wood left outside unfrozen for 20k plus years, nevermind wood, trunk, roots and all in nature decomposes fully in 100 years. The study was complete fraud.

The destruction of McBullshit is all here with links...

And Toddster quoted a study that "dated" wood left outside unfrozen for 20k plus years, nevermind wood, trunk, roots and all in nature decomposes fully in 100 years.

How long can it last if it's buried?

Forum List

Back