The high cost of unintended pregnancy

Not to babykillers, of course. Just to people who defend the rights of those who can't defend themselves. Old people, disabled people, and babies.

Consciousness isn't part of the definition of "child".

You are a baby killer. You should be in prison.

Consciousness isn't part of the definition of a human being?

Define human being.

and before you take me down the "consciousness" and "self aware" path, let me explain to you..I don't give a shit how YOU define human being. It has no validity. I protect the rights of ALL humans, whether self aware, whether conscious, or not, to live.

That means I don't subscribe to euthanasia, assisted suicide, the death penalty, or abortion. All are just code words for "let's kill the ones we determine have no value to US."

I don't grade humans based upon their value to you. Human is human, and each human has a right to life that is given him by his CREATOR. Not by you.

and before you take me down the "consciousness" and "self aware" path, let me explain to you..I don't give a shit how YOU define human being. It has no validity. I protect the rights of ALL humans, whether self aware, whether conscious, or not, to live.

That means I don't subscribe to euthanasia, assisted suicide, the death penalty, or abortion. All are just code words for "let's kill the ones we determine have no value to US."

I don't grade humans based upon their value to you. Human is human, and each human has a right to life that is given him by his CREATOR. Not by you.

Sorry, you are wrong.

An embryo is not a person.

There is no consciousness until birth.

You are pro child abuse.

Sorry, you make about as much sense as a guppy. I'm not wrong, there is no 'WRONG" when it comes to defining a human. I provided the definition.

And the "you are pro child abuse" is just propaganda. Child abuse has nothing to do with the definition of human. You are pro-abortion..which is pro-infanticide.

Pssst...I have actually worked with abused children in a variety of different venues. And I don't mean as a volunteer. I know what causes child abuse. Trivializing life and perpetuating the myth that children are "mistakes" and "disposable" leads to child abuse. People who abuse children have no concept of the sanctity of life. They buy the garbage pigs like you like to spread around..that children are disposable, that they aren't really "alive", that it's okay to kill, maim and hurt them.

Congratulations.

Here's what sticks in my craw...these yahoos are the ones who ushered in all these insanely expensive (and ineffective) programs. And now they are whining about the COST of them, and using that cost to justify killing babies.

Assholes.

Yes, you are an asshole.

50% of American women will have an unwanted pregnancy in their lifetime. The Republicans want the government to force these women to bring their pregnancy to term. Unwanted children are MUCH more likely to be abused. Therefore, Republicans are pro child abuse.

And don't tell me an embryo is a human being. If it was, the thousands of frozen embryos in fertility labs in this country would have the right to own guns.

Why not just say you don't think Gypsies are any good too, and how about those mentally deficient kids, just a burden.

Most children on the face of the earth were "unintended pregnancies". We are made to have children. That doesn't mean you get to kill the ones you don't plan. Sorry.

Here's what sticks in my craw...these yahoos are the ones who ushered in all these insanely expensive (and ineffective) programs. And now they are whining about the COST of them, and using that cost to justify killing babies.

Assholes.

Yes, you are an asshole.

50% of American women will have an unwanted pregnancy in their lifetime. The Republicans want the government to force these women to bring their pregnancy to term. Unwanted children are MUCH more likely to be abused. Therefore, Republicans are pro child abuse.

And don't tell me an embryo is a human being. If it was, the thousands of frozen embryos in fertility labs in this country would have the right to own guns.

Why not just say you don't think Gypsies are any good too, and how about those mentally deficient kids, just a burden.

Exactly.

After all, how self aware are children with severe autism? We don't know...how self aware are children in diabetic comas? Just kill them. They're worthless, after all.

Children with heart defects? Genetic disorders? A drain on society....off them.

I once believed that if Roe v. Wade were overturned that abortions would plummet to about 8 percent of current levels. I forget where I got that number from.

But as a critical thinker, it was incumbent on me to challenge my assumptions. And so I did some in-depth research into this hypothetical scenario. And the end result was a fairly undebunkable conclusion which forced me to rethink my pro-life position.

You see, I discovered that the number of abortions would change negligibly were Roe v. Wade overturned. That was quite a shocking discovery to me, but indisputable.

Perhaps if I have time, I will dig up my old evidence bomb for that conclusion and drop it around here somewhere. :lol:

Nevertheless, as was stated in the OP, nearly half of all abortions are the result of the complete and total non-use of any kind of birth control whatsoever.

I want my fellow pro-lifers to ponder the significance of that truth for a moment.

Half of all abortions are the result of no birth control being used.

I believe that when people start screaming at each other, it just results in their opponents becoming that much more polarized on whatever subject is at issue. This is particularly true when it comes to gun control and abortion. And it seems like both of these issues are waged on an "ends justify the means" no holds barred level of warfare. No amount of lying is off limits, and no amount of propaganda is too much.

However, I believe the facts I have stated present a middle ground upon which rational people on both sides can meet. (Please resist the temptation to claim there are no rational people on the other side. ;) )

I know that most pro-choice people are horrified at the number of abortions which occur each year, and I know that most pro-life people are not opposed to birth control. Only pro-choice extremists are okay with late term abortions, and only pro-life extremists are opposed to the pill.

Therefore, in light of the fact that the number of abortions would remain unchanged if Roe v. Wade were overturned, I believe a great deal of pro-life energy is being wasted arguing over it. While I still believe it should be overturned strictly for moral reasons, I think we have lost sight of the forest for the trees.

If the aim is to actually eliminate abortions, repealing Roe v. Wade will not accomplish that. Just imagine the huge letdown that would be felt across the land if and when that happens.

Instead, perhaps we should be looking at that "no birth control" figure. Half of all abortions because of no birth control being used.

We might not be able to eliminate abortions entirely, but we sure could put one big fucking dent in it if we ramped up some kind of plan to get more people to use birth control, wouldn't you agree?

Isn't this some kind of common ground we can find with the non-extremist pro-choicers?

One other point of fact. I have a survey around here somewhere that shows half of all people call themselves "pro-life" and half of all people call themselves "pro-choice". And yet...two thirds of the same people are okay with abortion in the first trimester!

That strongly suggest that a fairly large number of people who are okay with first trimester abortions still consider themselves pro-life.

So there are not as many extremists out there as some might think. But they have been in control of this issue for far too long.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Consciousness isn't part of the definition of "child".

You are a baby killer. You should be in prison.

Consciousness isn't part of the definition of a human being?

Define human being.

Hmmm, interesting question. Babies begin to dream at around the 28 week mark, I would say that is indicative of some level of conciousness. Children only become self aware at around three years of age so does that take precedence?

So, you're position is you should kill the child so that it can't be possibly abused?

Is that like bombing some place to keep it from going commie?

I respect the fact that you don't believe those things are right and I would never take issue with you over your beliefs.

But the minute you start pushing your beliefs on others and ask for "big gubmint" to step in and enforce your beliefs on others I WILL take issue with you and quite forceful at that.

Because unless you are God, the woman or her doctor you have absolutely no right to stick your nose in.

Sorry, you are wrong.

You are pro child abuse.

Gosh you're a simpleton.

Life costs money. Can't afford your living expenses? Kill yourself.
Yes, as Alan Grayson said of the cons' plan, "Die quickly".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-usmvYOPfco]Alan Grayson on the GOP Health Care Plan: "Don't Get Sick! And if You Do Get Sick, Die Quickly!"' - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry, you are wrong.

You are pro child abuse.

Gosh you're a simpleton.

He's a hoot. In a nutshell, he's demanding insurance companies to pay for their behavior in the bedroom. I want no part of it. Buy it yourself and knock yourself out.

The public cost of unintended pregnancy is estimated to be about 11 billion dollars per year in short term medical costs.[11] This includes costs of births, one year of infant medical care and costs of fetal loss.[11] Preventing unintended pregnancy would save the public over 5 billion dollars per year in short term medical costs.[11] Savings in long term costs and in other areas would be much larger.[11] By another estimate, the direct medical costs of unintended pregnancies, not including infant medical care, was $5 billion in 2002.[27]

Of the 800,000 teen pregnancies per year,[28] over 80% were unintended in 2001.[1] One-third of teen pregnancies result in abortion.[28] In 2002, about 9% of women at risk for unintended pregnancy were teenagers,[20] but about 20% of the unintended pregnancies in the United States are to teenagers.[29] A somewhat larger proportion of unintended births are reported as mistimed, rather than unwanted, for teens compared to women in general (79% mistimed for teens vs. 69% among all women in 1998).[30]

In the US it is estimated that 52% of unintended pregnancies result from couples not using contraception in the month the woman got pregnant, and 43% result from inconsistent or incorrect contraceptive use; only 5% result from contraceptive failure, according to a report from the Guttmacher Institute.[1] Contraceptive use saved an estimated $19 billion in direct medical costs from unintended pregnancies in 2002.[27]

In 2006, publicly funded family planning services (Title X, medicaid, and state funds) helped women avoid 1.94 million unintended pregnancies, thus preventing about 860,000 unintended births and 810,000 abortions.[31] Without publicly funded family planning services, the number of unintended pregnancies and abortions in the United States would be nearly two-thirds higher among women overall and among teens; the number of unintended pregnancies among poor women would nearly double[31] The services provided at publicly funded clinics saved the federal and state governments an estimated $5.1 billion in 2008 in short term medical costs.[31] Nationally, every $1.00 invested in helping women avoid unintended pregnancy saved $3.74 in Medicaid expenditures that otherwise would have been needed.[31]

Reducing unintended pregnancy in the United States would be particularly desirable since abortion is such a politically divisive issue.[3]

Rape

A longitudinal study in 1996 of over 4000 women in the United States followed for 3 years found that the rape-related pregnancy rate was 5.0% among victims aged 12–45 years. Applying that rate to rapes committed in the United States would indicate that there are over 32,000 pregnancies in the United States as a result of rape each year.[32]

Unintended pregnancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are you suggesting that 'intended' teen pregnancies cost society nothing? :cuckoo:

As is true of all good fascist governments, first step is to make the unpalatable, palatable. The Obama admin is now telling us that Downs syndrome children should not be allowed to live as they are a "burden on society". Chrissy poo as is his duty (being an avowed fascist) is merely letting everyone know that this is right and proper.

Then, a few years down the road, more "classes" of people can be classified as "undesirable" and they too can be eliminated all in the name of a "better society."

Sound familiar?[/QUOTE]

Yes, kind of like conservatives telling others to leave American when confronted. You are correct, it is a slippery slope.

Forum List

Back