Tesla Semi

There's an old saying, "A fool and their money are soon parted". And when you finally get round to putting your money where your mouth is and buy an EV, it just means another fool jumped onto the band wagon. Musk's bank account is full of fool's money, be sure to add to it, you're a prime candidate.
LOL Looks like EV's are very popular in merry Old England;

Experts predict 2021 car registrations will finish just 1.9% ahead of Covid-blighted 2020 but sales of battery electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid vehicles defy the trends laid down by conventional cars. By comparison, overall registrations of new cars grew by 1.7% to 115,706 in November, after four consecutive months of decline, while electric vehicles continued to grow their share by higher proportions.

Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) accounted for 21,726 registrations equating to 18.8% market share in November (up from 15.2% market share in October), while plug-in hybrid vehicle (PHEVs) registrations grew to 9.3% or 10,796 cars (up from 7.9% and 8,382 cars in October).

The SMMT is predicting BEV registrations in 2021 will surpass all the numbers registered between 2010 and 2019, with about new 287,000 cars heading to showrooms.

According to the latest vehicle stats, the EV market is booming. Electric passenger car sales increased by 186% in 2020 and today there are an estimated 300,000 EVs on the road in the UK and 600,000 plug-in hybrids.

LOL Looks like EV's are very popular in merry Old England;

Experts predict 2021 car registrations will finish just 1.9% ahead of Covid-blighted 2020 but sales of battery electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid vehicles defy the trends laid down by conventional cars. By comparison, overall registrations of new cars grew by 1.7% to 115,706 in November, after four consecutive months of decline, while electric vehicles continued to grow their share by higher proportions.

Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) accounted for 21,726 registrations equating to 18.8% market share in November (up from 15.2% market share in October), while plug-in hybrid vehicle (PHEVs) registrations grew to 9.3% or 10,796 cars (up from 7.9% and 8,382 cars in October).

The SMMT is predicting BEV registrations in 2021 will surpass all the numbers registered between 2010 and 2019, with about new 287,000 cars heading to showrooms.

According to the latest vehicle stats, the EV market is booming. Electric passenger car sales increased by 186% in 2020 and today there are an estimated 300,000 EVs on the road in the UK and 600,000 plug-in hybrids.
EV's are booming so well, you bought one too.

There are many fools in the UK buying them, the ban on the sale of new ICE vehicles is not until 2030, so the fools are starting soon, just when prices are nice and high. Like I said, a fool and their money are soon parted. Thank you for the stats on the current level of fools.

EV's are booming so well, you bought one too.

There are many fools in the UK buying them, the ban on the sale of new ICE vehicles is not until 2030, so the fools are starting soon, just when prices are nice and high. Like I said, a fool and their money are soon parted. Thank you for the stats on the current level of fools.

Oh, olfraud hasn't bought one. He may be invested in tesla, considering how much he bleats about them, but he is far too poor to afford an EV of his own.

Oh, olfraud hasn't bought one. He may be invested in tesla, considering how much he bleats about them, but he is far too poor to afford an EV of his own.
I know, bit I love to remind him. As hypocrites go, he sure loves Tesla. Poor Rocks is one of those that finds things in his own life too tricky to deal with, so to impress his friends and family, he jumps onto a current social issue and runs with it. Quite sad tbh.

I know, bit I love to remind him. As hypocrites go, he sure loves Tesla. Poor Rocks is one of those that finds things in his own life too tricky to deal with, so to impress his friends and family, he jumps onto a current social issue and runs with it. Quite sad tbh.
Say what you want, Tesla is going to continue to be very successful, and EV's are eventually going to be the dominate vehicles on the road. And a lot sooner than you neanderthals think.

I think people forget, that Elon Musk did not create Tesla. He certainly is lucky, having a father rich enough to afford him to go to one of the best universities in the World. A place where he certainly needed to be to make the deals that got him to where he is today.

To be honest there are many people with rich dads or even richer dads than Musk, but I don’t see many of them who have achieved at least half of what Musk has achieved.

When a conventional semi has to stop for fuel, how long does it take to refuel it?

When this electric semi has to stop to be recharged, how long does it take to recharge it?
There are far more short haul trucks on the road than there are long haul trucks. And, as the batteries increase in energy density and decrease in charging time, even that advantage will be lost to ICE engines. There is also another factor. Diesel trucks struggle up steep inclines, where the EV trucks will only be limited on speed going up those inclines by the curves. So, it may take longer at present to charge an EV semi, but if it arrives an hour sooner, then it will already be on the road again by the time the diesel gets to the station.

And, as the batteries increase in energy density and decrease in charging time, even that advantage will be lost to ICE engines.

I don't doubt that it eventually will happen. But given where we are now with this, and how long it has taken to get to this point, I do seriously doubt that it will happen within my lifetime or yours.

We are nowhere near being able to store the same amount of energy in a form useful in an electric vehicle, in a given mass or volume, than where we are as far as being able to store that same amount of energy in a given mass and volume of gasoline; nor are we anywhere near being able to transfer that energy into an electric vehicle at anywhere near a comparable rate to pumping gasoline into a normal vehicle.

There are far more short haul trucks on the road than there are long haul trucks. And, as the batteries increase in energy density and decrease in charging time, even that advantage will be lost to ICE engines. There is also another factor. Diesel trucks struggle up steep inclines, where the EV trucks will only be limited on speed going up those inclines by the curves. So, it may take longer at present to charge an EV semi, but if it arrives an hour sooner, then it will already be on the road again by the time the diesel gets to the station.
Diesel trucks struggle up steep inclines? Now you are not talking about short hauls, and again we must point out that we will not be able to wait 48 hours for a huge EV semi battery to charge. And it does take a larger battery much longer to charge.

What is it old crock, long or short hauls.

Your EV battery will overheat going up the grapevine in the middle of summer, unless you pull the hill very slow. Your argument was made in ignorance and confusion. Get it straight, long or short hauls?

Diesel trucks struggle up steep inclines? Now you are not talking about short hauls, and again we must point out that we will not be able to wait 48 hours for a huge EV semi battery to charge. And it does take a larger battery much longer to charge.

What is it old crock, long or short hauls.

Your EV battery will overheat going up the grapevine in the middle of summer, unless you pull the hill very slow. Your argument was made in ignorance and confusion. Get it straight, long or short hauls?
Once again, you post shit, and expect people to believe it.

The recently announced Tesla Semi concept design has the largest advertised range of 500 miles with a target 80% charge in 30 minutes. The battery pack is estimated to be at least 800 kWh (likely much higher to cover full load and all conditions) and must have a target charge rate of at approximately 1.5 MW.Aug 9, 2021

Okay, I see what you're saying now. EVs have more power available at all times, whether for maintaining speed, accelerating, or braking:
The biggest problem with trucks is how SLOW they go compared to most other vehicles. Truckers I've talked to hate driving in heavy traffic because regaining highway speeds takes a half mile or more, and stopping suddenly like most cars is nearly out of the question. Trucks struggle to go up hills at normal highway speeds, struggle to hold speed going down hills, and just generally struggle to do anything at all.

Performance with heavy loads is what sets the Tesla Semi apart when it comes to safety. With a full 80,000 pound load (a typical semi-truck max load), it can get to 60 MPH is just 20 seconds, and can haul these loads up steep grades at 65 MPH. Compared to diesel trucks, this is beyond night and day. It means impatient drivers won't be struggling to pass slow trucks and taking dumb risks. It means they'll be able to go with the normal speed of traffic, or at least a lot closer to it.

And, as the batteries increase in energy density and decrease in charging time, even that advantage will be lost to ICE engines.
the battery will probably increase the energy density, but the charging time faces physical obstacles, if you want to charge say 100 kWh in five minutes, you will need 100 kWh * 60/5 = 1200 MW power, and I don't yet take into account efficiency, energy losses and the possibility of charging the battery with such a high current.

Diesel trucks struggle up steep inclines, where the EV trucks will only be limited on speed going up those inclines by the curves.
EV trucks also have a problem with steep inclines, which causes huge electric currents from the battery to the inverter and the electric motor, which also requires the battery to have a large reserve of energy density so that it can in principle give away such currents and not "explode".

Last edited:

Forum List

Back