Tesla Semi

Don't count on any military contracts, just sayin'.

"Maximum 500 mile range". It is teh funny!

Don't count on any real truck drivers purchasing.

rofl.gif
Just sayin' that you are full of shit. Plenty of use for the military for that truck in the states.
Not really.

The military needs trucks that they can repair quickly with minimal tools anywhere. The military will be the absolutely last buyer. They are still using Detroit Diesel 11.1 liter DDEC II's...an engine that has that has been out of commercial production for at least 20 years. My first truck was a 1996 Freightliner Fld...it had a Detroit 12.7 DDEC III, and I stuck with that configuration in all my trucks. No regen, no egrs, just a very basic engine that is easily repaired.

Tesla is taking orders for their electric semi truck now. They've shown a prototype.

This is Tesla’s big new all-electric truck – the Tesla Semi

300 mile or 500 mile range with a full load, 3 times the acceleration of a diesel truck, and independent computer-controlled motors on each of 4 wheels that make jackknifing nearly impossible.

Good move by Tesla. The mass market is where they should be concentrating. 80% of the semi fleet travels less than 250 miles a day, so that 80% is the market. Such vehicles can work during the day, then go the charging station at night, when the grid has the extra capacity.

Tesla hasn't stated the price. More expensive than a diesel truck, but Tesla says fuel and maintenance savings will make up the difference in cost in 2 years.

I saw it. Not impressed.

List of United States Army tactical truck engines - Wikipedia

Here's your list Old Rocks ... The military 60 series is actually a 12.7...The next generation of 60 Series was the 14 liter. Almost every Army semi tractor runs a 60 Series. No climate change bullshit, no particulate filters, no EGR, no DEF, no regeneration, just plain jane hardworking turbo diesels. Give me 10 hours, I'll strip down every external engine component...starter, alternator, fuel pump, air conditioning compressor, both starter solenoids, oil cooler, turbo, air compressor, radiator, fan hub, air to air, water pump, power steering pump and steering box, ECM, reset the overhead and have all new OEM parts installed...and I'm not a trained mechanic...learned by doing.

Got one sitting out front with two million miles on it...we're going for four million.

When the Tesla's done that...in real world conditions...I'm sure the Army will be happy not to buy them.

Because petrol can go anywhere, and the Army knows how to get it there. Massive amounts of electricity...not so much.

So kiss that pipedream goodbye.

Last edited:
It's not just Tesla. Mercedes_Benz is already cranking out electric trucks, vans and buses.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/zero...g66A54A&fromEmail=fromEmail&ut=1juRsQu37yoE01
---
More than a year ago, we were the first company ever to present the concept of a fully electric truck for urban distribution of up to 25 tons. The “Mercedes-Benz Electric Truck” showed what’s technically feasible – and we just kept going from there …

This October, we unveiled our “E-FUSO Vision One”: a heavy-duty all-electric truck concept with a range of up to 350 kilometers (about 220 miles) on a single charge and a payload of up to 11 tons.

With the “FUSO eCanter” we already have a fully electric light-duty truck on the road that specializes in short-distance and inner-city delivery. Among our first customers in the U.S. is UPS.

And to get even closer to last-mile delivery and right up to people’s doorsteps, we are also working on fully electric vans. We have partnered, for example, with Hermes logistics, which is going to upgrade its delivery-fleet with 1,500 electric vans from Mercedes-Benz by 2020.

Last week we also introduced an iconic, all-electric yellow school bus from our partners at Thomas Built Buses. We call the bus “Jouley”. Jouley will be ready to silently and safely take kids to school starting in 2019. Even earlier, in late 2018, we are going to launch series-production of our all-electric city bus “Mercedes-Benz Citaro E-Cell”.
---

Couldn’t this be a case of don’t look over here look at this shiny object.

I learned today from a dot guy you can’t use water on a tesla car fire. I said what do you use then? Something that takes oxygen out of the air? Hope you aren’t caught in an overturned tesla vehicle on fire.

There is no info on the truck batteries. There is no price target. Delivery dates are fungible. Charging stations are nonexistent. Charging times are not available. Could ISIS have designed a better truck to commit terror with. Trust but verify.

Exactly take a water hose on a transformer ..

Your dead

Tesla’s Burning Through Nearly Half a Million Dollars Every Hour
Over the past 12 months, the electric-car maker has been burning money at a clip of about $8,000 a minute (or $480,000 an hour), Bloomberg data show. At this pace, the company is on track to exhaust its current cash pile on Monday, Aug. 6. (At 2:17 a.m. New York time, if you really want to be precise.)
We shall see how this goes with no government aid.
“Whether they can last another 10 months or a year, he needs money, and quickly,” said Kevin Tynan, senior analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence, who estimates Tesla will be required to raise at least $2 billion in fresh capital by mid-2018

Yes, Tesla is betting big time. But if they succeed they will become one of the foremost automakers in the world. With a product line from a middle income auto, to the fastest street sports car in the world. And the premier battery manufacturer in the world. EV's to grid scale. $316 on the stock today. Looks like plenty of people think that he will win his bet.

But if they succeed they will become one of the foremost automakers in the world.
I'm not sure about this, electric car - a simple device in comparison with the "conventional" car, and almost all automakers have created their electric cars, but simply the market of electric cars is not yet big compared to the markets of "conventional" cars.

And the premier battery manufacturer in the world

If the media doesn't lie, Chinese companies have plans to create battery factories for total capacity more than 120 gigawatt-hours a year by 2021, which is three times more than Tesla Inc.’s Gigafactory.

Perhaps Tesla will attract buyers by offering additional functions of their cars, for example, an autopilot.

Not yet large, for sure. But growing daily. And, yes, the Chinese will be very competitive in this field. As will the Japanese. In fact, I would like to see most of the auto makers compete in the EV's. That will not only grow the market, but force innovation at a faster rate. I think that is one of the reasons that Musk brought out that roadster. The only way that Ferrari or Lamborghini will match that is to move to an EV.

Tesla is taking orders for their electric semi truck now. They've shown a prototype.

300 mile or 500 mile range with a full load, 3 times the acceleration of a diesel truck, and independent computer-controlled motors on each of 4 wheels that make jackknifing nearly impossible.

Good move by Tesla. The mass market is where they should be concentrating. 80% of the semi fleet travels less than 250 miles a day, so that 80% is the market. Such vehicles can work during the day, then go the charging station at night, when the grid has the extra capacity.

Tesla hasn't stated the price. More expensive than a diesel truck, but Tesla says fuel and maintenance savings will make up the difference in cost in 2 years.
?? Most trucks travel approx. 700 miles a day for the OTR guys. If a truck gets 12 mpg with a 350-gallon capacity, they'll go 4200 miles before needing to refuel.

I'll say that the interior looks cool, but they only come with a day kit? I don't see a bunk or anything behind the seat.

So you want semis to have better acceleration?
I prefer em being slow since those things are a MFer to stop.
And new big rigs already have traction control.
Hell,my old 2007 FJ had it.
Yeah, 40,000 pounds is significant. I think I'd want traction control in braking. Acceleration isn't even a concern really.

From techcrunch.com:
PepsiCo is actually the second large beverage concern this week to announce its intent to purchase some of Tesla’s all-electric Class 8 heavy-duty towing vehicles; Budweiser brewer Anheuser-Busch revealed earlier that it has put down money for 40 Tesla Semis.

Tesla is seeing a lot of pre-order interest already, from major fleet operators including Walmart, Canadian grocery chain Loblaws and many more.
They most likely know what they're doing.
Most trucks travel approx. 700 miles a day for the OTR guys.
Most "trucks" aren't driven by "OTR guys." Class 8 trucks average around 186 miles per day, including weekends and holidays> OTR truckers? Here's the truth (in case you're ever interested in that). And here. (450-500 miles per day).
Yeah, 40,000 pounds is significant.
You mean 80,000 pounds? That's the norm for OTR tractor-trailers (federal highway limit).
I think I'd want traction control in braking. Acceleration isn't even a concern really.
The Tesla is superior at both, so?
The semi- truck has regenerative braking, a feature found in its electric passenger vehicles (as well as electric vehicles from other automakers) that delivers power to the battery when drivers take their foot off the accelerator.
Acceleration : Deceleration - all looks the same to an electric motor/generator. And hey, no Jake brake fines to worry about. Plus "4 independent electric motors on rear axles"

Did they ever release the curb weight of the truck itself?

Elon Musk is a sneaky motherfucker, he didn’t say what it was during his fanboy announcement. The empty weight will determine how much payload can be transported. Because of the federal limit the more the truck weighs, the less you can transport. He didn’t talk about that.

Whoever buys these things will also have to buy the power stations at their distribution and delivery centers, unless one is dumb enough to believe they will have all new recharging stations everywhere.

Did they ever release the curb weight of the truck itself?

Elon Musk is a sneaky motherfucker, he didn’t say what it was during his fanboy announcement. The empty weight will determine how much payload can be transported. Because of the federal limit the more the truck weighs, the less you can transport. He didn’t talk about that.
No, he sure didn't and yes, everyone knows he's brilliant. So? Obviously the payload will be somewhat less than that with a diesel tractor until battery power density improves through technology. Steel haulers will have to wait but most freight does not max out the legal limit:
The EPA estimates the typical weight of an unladen Class 8 tractor-trailer combination is on the order of 35,000 pounds while payloads typically max out at about 40,000 pounds. So while 80,000 pounds is the load limit for Class 8 trucks, well over 90% of the tractor-trailers weigh in at less than 73,000 pounds.
90% can then easily handle a bit more weight on the tandem axles.
Whoever buys these things will also have to buy the power stations at their distribution and delivery centers, unless one is dumb enough to believe they will have all new recharging stations everywhere.
Why present people-are-really-dumb case scenarios? Must relate to being a "Registered Conservative" somehow.
At the November 2017 press conference Musk also said that the company would be involved in installing a global network of "megachargers" that would be solar-powered and would be able to recharge a truck's batteries in 30 minutes to a capacity to travel 400 miles (644 km)
Emphasis on "solar-powered" mine. These will only decrease the cost relative to fossil fuel dependence over time.

eta: full disclosure: I currently own no stock in any particular industry. I've always held engineering interest in wind and solar.

Last edited:
Business Insider." data-reactid="23" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(38, 40, 42); font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">“The game-changing capabilities and economics of the Tesla semi potentially set off separation between the technology leaders and the laggards among carriers, shippers, truck OEMs and suppliers,” Jonas said in a note obtained by Business Insider.

Indeed, the list of companies who have already placed orders for the Tesla Semi is filled with familiar names, including blue-chip companies such as Pepsi, Sysco, and Walmart. Specifically, Pepsi reportedly ordered 100 Tesla Semi trucks with Walmart committing to buy 15 units.

More recently, Tesla just secured its biggest reservation yet, with UPS reserving a whopping 125 units just this week.

“For more than a century, UPS has led the industry in testing and implementing new technologies for more efficient fleet operations. We look forward to expanding further our commitment to fleet excellence with Tesla,,” UPS CIO Juan Perez said in a press release.

“These groundbreaking electric tractors are poised to usher in a new era in improved safety, reduced environmental impact, and reduced cost of ownership,” Perez later added.

Pre-orders for the new Tesla Semi are exploding

Tesla, Inc. (TSLA)
NasdaqGS - NasdaqGS Delayed Price. Currency in USD
Add to watchlist
328.98-2.12 (-0.64%)
At close: 4:00PM EST
329.65 +0.67 (0.20%)
After hours: 7:58PM EST

Tesla looking good.

Hmmmm, four and a half years on.

I still haven't seen one.

Forum List

Back