Thank Tesla: The Biggest Obstacle to EV Ownership Will Soon Be History

There is no substitute for time...you can't get it back. So I don't care how attractive they make the wait to re-charge...I doubt they will ever make it attractive enough so to replace the time bonus through the swap-out method. So It seems to be the winning play. Its good to see the standardization taking place but It reminds me of the parable from the movie Other People's Money. Larry the Liquidator is this corporate raider who has bought controlling interest in a steel mill that is dying--it's worth more dead than alive--and he wants to sell it off but the board has to approve it. So the shareholders had to vote and they were listening to the incumbent owner who wanted to keep it going the way it was. Then Larry got to speak and he talked about the last company to make buggy whips..."I bet that was one hell of a buggy whip" they made.

It would take massive integration of car design along with buy-in from the battery people as well as buy in from the retail energy community.

I would think the petroleum companies would have a foot hold since they have dealers who already have the physical footprint of the gas stations. But I could see regional electric companies getting into the mix too.

Competition drives the price downward.

It would take massive integration of car design along with buy-in from the battery people as well as buy in from the retail energy community.

I would think the petroleum companies would have a foot hold since they have dealers who already have the physical footprint of the gas stations. But I could see regional electric companies getting into the mix too.

Competition drives the price downward.
Yes, auto manufacturers and gas companies have too much vested in this and so it was always a long shot.

With today's technology, it takes a long time to recharge but technology always improves. In the long run, charging would take as much time as filling up with gas or even less.

Do whatever can work economically. No one will be against good progress.

If you can pass EPA UL CSM whatever, and people want to buy it so be it.

Don't do anything as an assist to DEM weakening of America for Chinese payoffs//

Yes, auto manufacturers and gas companies have too much vested in this and so it was always a long shot.

With today's technology, it takes a long time to recharge but technology always improves. In the long run, charging would take as much time as filling up with gas or even less.
I hope you're right about the speed. Its the only thing that matters at the end of the day. I hope you're right but I don't see it happening though. Even on a small scale--household batteries--recharging took a very long time and the battery life waned over time.

We'll see. I also didn't see bottled water ever being a thing...I used to drink out of the hose in the front yard.

Maybe a slight advantage to a battery vehicle around town 50 miles a day. But thats all. Energy use from build to junkyard to resale, cost up front...all favor existing.

If EV's could be swapped out 1 for 1 with gasoline vehicles, none of the suggested remedies are even possible. The AGW denialists win the debate on that!

But then they're stuck with winning that they didn't really want.

The plain fact is that gasoline engines will never by completely replaced by EV's. The number of personal vehicles on the roads will be reduced to something near 10%, and even that is going to be difficult to accomplish with personal EV's!

Some alternatives will be buses, trains, bicycles both E powered and pedalled, and other modern answers to the problem facing the world.

This topic could become a place for imagining new answers. Otherwise the debate is stalled out and going nowhere. As is so typical.

Its a battery. No miles on it. How many times has it been charged? That is the question.

They will get cycled out and replaced... 3 minutes vs 20-30 after plugging it in. I think the swap-out model is the winner.
Those batteries are separate and quite heavy, what would the station look like, would it interfere with inside seating or the drivelines in the vehicle, of course with electric, you could produce the power on all four wheels separately, couldn’t we?

Ford, GM, Rivian, Volvo, Polestar and Mercedes-Benz have announced plans to adopt Tesla’s North American Charging Standard, making it possible for their products to access Tesla’s vast and growing network of Supercharger stations.

The generalization of NACS will be a huge win for consumers who have both wanted and feared buying their first electric car due to the inadequacy of existing CCS-based infrastructure. NACS will soon bring a generation of short-winded, slow-charging EVs within the radius of a Supercharger station somewhere, anywhere. Suddenly, buying an EV other than a Tesla doesn’t seem so crazy. If the price is right. And by right, I mean much, much cheaper.

The timing depends. Ford said its products would gain access to 12,000 Superchargers in North America by early 2024. For these non-NACS vehicles, Tesla has developed what it calls the Magic Dock adapter, allowing Superchargers to grok CCS-equipped vehicles. This plastic coupler is secured to the charger, ready when needed.

According to another report, there are about 150,000+ EV chargers in the US and by 2030, we may need at least a million. So, this is a good start since EV owners no longer will be dependent on their manufacturer's EV stations and can go anywhere.
Not practical

If EV's could be swapped out 1 for 1 with gasoline vehicles, none of the suggested remedies are even possible. The AGW denialists win the debate on that!

But then they're stuck with winning that they didn't really want.

The plain fact is that gasoline engines will never by completely replaced by EV's. The number of personal vehicles on the roads will be reduced to something near 10%, and even that is going to be difficult to accomplish with personal EV's!

Some alternatives will be buses, trains, bicycles both E powered and pedalled, and other modern answers to the problem facing the world.

This topic could become a place for imagining new answers. Otherwise the debate is stalled out and going nowhere. As is so typical.

USA is spread out like no others. We are not Seoul Korea, living in 50 story APTs stacked up near stations.

Mass transit does not work with 59 stations in 10 miles.

Forum List

Back