Thank Tesla: The Biggest Obstacle to EV Ownership Will Soon Be History

That is why they all drive 50s model cars---because Cuba is so forward thinking.
No my friend they don't all drive 50's cars. Those are used for taxis for tourists. Most of the cars on the road are made in China now!

We think that Cuba is already becoming a Russian and Chinese protectorate! They may get their own naval base for Chinese warships!

If EV's could be swapped out 1 for 1 with gasoline vehicles, none of the suggested remedies are even possible. The AGW denialists win the debate on that!

But then they're stuck with winning that they didn't really want.

The plain fact is that gasoline engines will never by completely replaced by EV's. The number of personal vehicles on the roads will be reduced to something near 10%, and even that is going to be difficult to accomplish with personal EV's!

Some alternatives will be buses, trains, bicycles both E powered and pedalled, and other modern answers to the problem facing the world.

This topic could become a place for imagining new answers. Otherwise the debate is stalled out and going nowhere. As is so typical.
Mass transit is no good with people with a carload of groceries or musicians carting their own equipment to a gig. EVs are still a fucking joke and should be banned outright.

No my friend they don't all drive 50's cars. Those are used for taxis for tourists. Most of the cars on the road are made in China now!

We think that Cuba is already becoming a Russian and Chinese protectorate! They may get their own naval base for Chinese warships!
Showing your ignorance again, duck. You really should research your subject before you open your trap. This article seems to disagree with you. BTW, not one mention of China or Chinese cars. a few old Russian cars and some new European cars---but the "iconic 1950s American car is everywhere." Now sit down and STFU. Morons are to be seen and not heard. The reason for this is The reality for Cuban citizens is much different, and despite the purported launch of new car sales earlier this year -- a tragic joke by the government by most accounts -- car ownership remains an unfulfilled dream for millions of Cubans.

Jesus will provide.
81-0esZ35zL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

~S~

You'll actually get a battery swapped out that is up to specifications.

The battery is as much a part of the car as gas is part of your current car.

That's an awful lot of mechanical energy being expended. EV battery sets at current design are extremely heavy. Removing the cab from the chassis to lay in another set is a major procedure. I'm sure the cats could be redesigned to accommodate some kind of quick change but correctly they are not. I own a full EV and the last quote I got on a full battery change was about 10k and a week in the garage.

Lack of charging stations is just one obstacle to EV ownership.
There is also the high cost to purchase a new EV.
Limited driving range, especially in cold weather northern states.
Battery milage falls to around 50% when temp falls to the 30's and lower.
EV battery replacement when car gets older can be around $20,000+ which is probably more than the car is worth.
Repair and parts on an EV are very expensive because only dealerships with specially trained EV mechanics will work on them. Regular auto mechanic shops won't touch an EV
The depreciation on a used EV is in the toilet. People don't want to buy an older EV because the value of the car will be zero if the battery or some of the very expensive electrical/electronic parts fail.

Another problem my son that has a Tesla experienced is a lot of times these charging stations don't work. He said it is not uncommon to have six stations and only one or two of them working.

These stations require a tremendous amount of high amperage energy and the systems are prone to failure.

You are right about repair being a nightmare.

About a month ago my son had a fender bender in his Telsa. Some guy ran into him from behind. It was not very bad. Something that on a regular vehicle would probably take a couple of thousand dollars to fix and would have been fixed in a week. Because the battery pack was damaged a little bit they are considering totaling it. Of course there is a problem because the insurance company don't want to total a $65K vehicle and Tesla doesn't want to be bothered with fixing it so not much is going on. My son thinks it will drag on and it will be more months before he either gets his car repaired or gets a settlement for the damage.

Another problem is that because of the little accident the value of his vehicle, if fixed, has decreased about $20K.

Last edited:
USA is spread out like no others. We are not Seoul Korea, living in 50 story APTs stacked up near stations.

Mass transit does not work with 59 stations in 10 miles.
Most folks commute from suburb to suburb without ever entering the city.
My commutes in construction vary weekly and can range from 5 to 90 miles one way. Need a truck to carry tools or tow a trailer.

I laugh at these idiots thinking everyone is going to use mass transit living 45 miles from an urban area.

I will never own an EV nor will I ever ride the filthy mass transit.

That's an awful lot of mechanical energy being expended. EV battery sets at current design are extremely heavy. Removing the cab from the chassis to lay in another set is a major procedure. I'm sure the cats could be redesigned to accommodate some kind of quick change but correctly they are not. I own a full EV and the last quote I got on a full battery change was about 10k and a week in the garage.
In China it takes 5 minutes to swap out the batteries in the model.

2022040511511528.gif

Of course we don’t have standardized models like they may have in China. So we’re behind the 8 ball on this one.

Another problem my son that has a Tesla experienced is a lot of times these charging stations don't work. He said it is not uncommon to have six station and only one or two of them working.

These stations require a tremendous amount of high amperage energy and the systems are prone to failure.

You are right about repair being a nightmare.

About a month ago my son had a fender bender in his Telsa. Some guy ran into him from behind. It was not very bad. Something that on a regular vehicle would probably take a couple of thousand dollars to fix and would have been fixed in a week. Because the battery pack was damage a little bit they are considering totaling it. Of course there is a problem because the insurance company don't want to total a $65K vehicle and Tesla doesn't want to be bothered with fixing it so not much is going on. My son thinks it will drag on and it will be more months before he either gets his car repaired or gets a settlement for the damage.

Another problem is that because of the little accident the value of his vehicle, if fixed, has decreased about $20K.
My wife's uncle has a body shop and won't touch Tesla's.
They require the shop to pay for certification to work on their vehicles on a yearly basis, and he said the cars aren't worth the headache.

My wife's uncle has a body shop and won't touch Tesla's.
They require the shop to pay for certification to work on their vehicles on a yearly basis, and he said the cars aren't worth the headache.
Yea, that is the problem my son has. It either has to be fixed by Tesla or nobody. And Tesla doesn't want to be bothered with it. Getting his car fixed evidently doesn't even deflect on their Give a Shit O'Meter.

My son would just like for it to be totaled but the insurance company (Allstate) would much rather have Tesla fix it. Hence a pissing match that keeps dragging on and on. My son said he is going to get a lawyer after Thanksgiving to put pressure on the insurance company to settle.

Most folks commute from suburb to suburb without ever entering the city.
My commutes in construction vary weekly and can range from 5 to 90 miles one way. Need a truck to carry tools or tow a trailer.

I laugh at these idiots thinking everyone is going to use mass transit living 45 miles from an urban area.

I will never own an EV nor will I ever ride the filthy mass transit.
If you live in a city and only commute a few miles a day an EV could make sense if they weren't so damn expensive and you had an ICE vehicle for longer trips.

My son uses his Tesla for his daily commute in Atlanta and for that it is OK. He put in a $1500 charging station in his garage and that keeps his vehicle charged up for the weekly commute.

However, he will be the first to tell you the vehicle sucks for any long trip.

He bought his Tesla at a time when they had tremendous resale value and with the subsidies he thought he would make out good with the purchase. However, that is not the case. They have decreased significantly in resale value and with that little accident he had he will lose quite a bit of money.

I tried to tell him not to get the Tesla but he didn't listen to me and now he regrets the purchase. He will never buy another EV.

Its good to see standardization. It creates less mayhem and uncertainty so the right wing is sure to loathe this development.

That being said...
I dunno... I think the whole "charging station" model is a fantasy.

Picture this...you're driving along and need gas. You pull over and you get gas. Easy peasy.

Now you're driving your EV and need a charge. You pull over and get a charge. Easy peasy.

The problem becomes one of capacity and space. Whereas gas stations have 12-18 pumps and you're in and out in 5 minutes; so far, the full charge takes a lot longer than that. From the DOT:

View attachment 806609

20 minutes is the lowest number I see but that is likely the exception not the rule. I don't know. But it seems like when things get optimized and standardized and we're at the crest of the wave...the process will still take measurably longer than it takes for gasoline. So your car has to sit there for longer than it sat there if you had a gasoline engine. I'm planning a 600 mile trip as I write this...if I have to factor in 3-4 hours of charging...that is going to change the calculus.

I'm a huge fan of EV and it's going to change the way we drive. My next car will almost certainly be a hybrid if not a straight up EV. I'm not ragging on them but I think there is a better way forward.
---
The swap-station model is likely a better solution. You subscribe to a service that replaces your battery like when you swap out a propane cylinder at the hardware store for your grill.

From the source...

"Electric vehicle owners will pull in their vehicle, then it will be lifted up. Their battery will be unscrewed and replaced with a fully charged one, this is all done by a machine and only takes 5 minutes. There is one in China that currently takes 3 minutes to fully swap a battery. The battery that is being taken out of the vehicle will be put into the swap station and will automatically start charging, so it will be ready for the next battery swap. NIO currently has an app showing what stations are available and how busy the stations in the surrounding area are. These stations are predicted to make their way to the states in 2025. "

d2159d702a4d4280a8913f19c252ff41.jpeg

Picture Chevron or Exxon having one of these stations with 6 service bays that has 100-200 batteries that are charging below. You open the app on your phone, find a location and you go there after you reserve a battery. Once you get there... While you wait in your car, a battery is swapped out from the bottom of your vehicle. You get a fresh battery and continue on your way. The depleted battery that was removed is put at the "end of the line" and is re-charged while a fresh battery is cued up for the next driver.
Musk is full of it. You mention standardization. Yes, as long as its Musk's standardization. Musk hasn't the IQ to follow the intelligent trajectory: vending of standardized, modular batteries already pre-charged. Boycott Musk. "Try it, you'll like it."

Musk is full of it. You mention standardization. Yes, as long as its Musk's standardization. Musk hasn't the IQ to follow the intelligent trajectory: vending of standardized, modular batteries already pre-charged. Boycott Musk. "Try it, you'll like it."
I can’t blame just Musk for this. GM didn’t say, “Hey Chrysler, Tesla, Ford...we need to put an infrastructure together and agree on a common design so this sector of our industry will take off.” Where I would blame Musk is that, as far as I know, his cars are fully electric. I think Hybrid is a much better option. If I get home late and gas is $2.50 a gallon, I don’t worry about charging my car. If I get home late and gas is $5.00 a gallon, I’m putting that puppy on the charger!

Batteries in a car contain thousands of batteries.

Our battery system – or Energy Storage System, as we like to call it – is comprised of 6,831 individual Li-ion cells. It's roughly the size of a storage trunk and weighs about 900 pounds.
900 pounds of stupidity, most sheep will follow the template. In more intelligent worlds, smaller vehicles and modular batteries already trump Musk's monopolizing approach. Carrying two batteries on an ebike can get ~ 100 miles, so commuting Atlanta is not a problem. Boycott Musk. "Try it, you'll like it."

I can’t blame just Musk for this. GM didn’t say, “Hey Chrysler, Tesla, Ford...we need to put an infrastructure together and agree on a common design so this sector of our industry will take off.” Where I would blame Musk is that, as far as I know, his cars are fully electric. I think Hybrid is a much better option. If I get home late and gas is $2.50 a gallon, I don’t worry about charging my car. If I get home late and gas is $5.00 a gallon, I’m putting that puppy on the charger!
Your mistake is to allow GM, Chrysler, Tesla, or Ford to dictate what will be defined as a common design. Capitalism is profoundly illiterate, and all these companies will play, for their benefit, the anachronistic card to keep the same dies in the die shop. Consumer be damned.

Modular, pre-charged batteries of the future will make Musk look like a hookey-playing juvenile delinquent. If an elderly retired female hasn't the money or time for a full charge, she can (even by herself) lift a module or two and exchange them for just what's needed to get home, just what's needed for her particular economics. duh Boycott Musk.

Forum List

Back