• Straight

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Homosexual

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bisexual (with no preference)

• Bisexual (with same sex preference)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Bisexual (with opposite sex preference)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Straight (but open to multiple partners)

• Homo or Bisexual (but open to multiple partners)

• Asexual (no desire or lack of interest in sex)

• Unspoken (you may specify if you would like)

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
To be honest....what you are is subjective. You can be black if you want, Gay if you want, a woman if you want. You don't have to be any of them, you just have to want to be one or all of them.

So you believe you get to consciously decide what your sexual (or an other...) orientation you are?
No....but many on the left float the idea on a regular basis.

Actually, I think they say the opposite (at least in regard to sexual desire) - they state that homosexuality is something you are "born" with.... of course, I'm not sure why they don't think pedophilia is something you are born with... I just get trashed for comparing the 2

I would think if you are born with sexual desires, it's not limited to M/M, F/F or M/F... logically that would make sense.

No?

Now in regards to altering your body - well, that's another story............
Bonzi, most people are not willing to admit sexual desires that go beyond what the collective says is the norm. They are afraid of being chastised. That said, when you are young you do need to learn to control certain desires that are primal in nature, if we are going to have a civilized society. Not really much different than say the desire to harm others through non-sexual acts. We are not animals we need to control deviant thoughts. See a pile of cash that's not yours... what pops into your mind... finding the person who left it there or what you are gonna buy with it?

I'm not sure Freud was really that far off in some regards...
Seems to me, your earliest sexual feelings/urges "imprint" the foundation of your sexuality going forward.
I think it's possible to "change" your imprint. But my experience has been that most boys out of the gate like trucks and making loud noises, blow stuff up, torture lizards, wrestle and such, and girls like to play dress up and ride ponies and play more constructive games. Is it learned? Not all. I've seen the difference and it's not entirely through social learning, there are also genetic traits.

So you believe you get to consciously decide what your sexual (or an other...) orientation you are?

Actually, I think they say the opposite (at least in regard to sexual desire) - they state that homosexuality is something you are "born" with.... of course, I'm not sure why they don't think pedophilia is something you are born with... I just get trashed for comparing the 2

I would think if you are born with sexual desires, it's not limited to M/M, F/F or M/F... logically that would make sense.

No?

Bonzi, most people are not willing to admit sexual desires that go beyond what the collective says is the norm. They are afraid of being chastised. That said, when you are young you do need to learn to control certain desires that are primal in nature, if we are going to have a civilized society. Not really much different than say the desire to harm others through non-sexual acts. We are not animals we need to control deviant thoughts. See a pile of cash that's not yours... what pops into your mind... finding the person who left it there or what you are gonna buy with it?

Seems to me, your earliest sexual feelings/urges "imprint" the foundation of your sexuality going forward.
I think it's possible to "change" your imprint. But my experience has been that most boys out of the gate like trucks and making loud noises, blow stuff up, torture lizards, wrestle and such, and girls like to play dress up and ride ponies and play more constructive games. Is it learned? Not all. I've seen the difference and it's not entirely through social learning, there are also genetic traits.

What you like to play with and your sexual orientation (I think) are unrelated.

Many a tom-boy has grown up totally straight (female) -

There is a study that shows many gay men are from single parent (female) homes.
Do you think there is something to that...?

No?

Not necessarily. The gay gene might be genetic. Some lesbians use a sperm donor and may actually be the biological parent. Adoption for a straight couple can be expensive and a legal nightmare. For lesbian couples this is more so the case. Many lesbian couples have their own children from a biological perspective. This could have something to do with the children growing up to be gay. It's that debate: Nature versus nurture. I think it could be either one.

No?

Unrelated? Nah. It's related. Yes, I do think there is something to the way we are brought up that effects our behaviors. We are a combination of our experiences our genetics and our soul if you will. It's not a one or the other thing.

No?

Yes, I do. We are a combination of our experiences our genetics and our soul if you will. It's not a one or the other thing.

I guess really it's all speculation. No one (that I know of?) has ever been raised in a totally controlled environment (e.g. Truman Show).

Yes, I do. We are a combination of our experiences our genetics and our soul if you will. It's not a one or the other thing.

I guess really it's all speculation. No one (that I know of?) has ever been raised in a totally controlled environment (e.g. Truman Show).

No it's not speculation at all. We know pretty much exactly how the brain works now.

No it's not speculation at all. We know pretty much exactly how the brain works now.

Maybe but not inborn traits and tendencies... not for 100% certainty

Not every detail of every trait, but we do know for 100% certainty that there are inborn traits and tendencies. That is not to say that we don't have free will or that we can't be programmed to knee jerk in certain ways when we are not focused on ignoring our knee jerk tendencies.

Not every detail of every trait, but we do know for 100% certainty that there are inborn traits and tendencies. That is not to say that we don't have free will or that we can't be programmed to knee jerk in certain ways when we are not focused on ignoring our knee jerk tendencies.

I'm just not so sure about things like temperament etc. being inborn traits. I would have to read up on the research.....

I'm just not so sure about things like temperament etc. being inborn traits. I would have to read up on the research.....
Temperament is a visible action performed by the person. All actions are the result of how the brain processes information. The brain processes information in steps. The steps use results of the prior step to determine what to do in the next step. This processing amounts to a complex sequence of mappings with relative weights that feed impulses from neurons through our synapse. The neurons are the storage locations where our rules (weightings) are stored for use in the processing steps. You see an image or some other sensory input is received and then you process that input based on these rules in some sequence of processing steps. The processing is iterative.. in so far as some values that get calculated are then used temporally to adjust other calculations.

But in the end the way your brain is initially wired and predisposed to become wired for the processing of information is all based on dna. Then what we learn filters the values we store in the neurons and focuses where the brain stores more data and forms more wires (synapse) to allow you to calculate some things faster and to determine what the results should be... this being the learning process.

So it's really all of the above, dna/genes, plus initial setup, plus learned behavior. Then there's what you do with it, your soul, your inner-self that drives what decisions you tell your brain to focus on. You are the controller or the program if you will for your brain, and the brain is the computing system that you run in.

Forum List

Back