J-Walking, ok or not?

Perfectly safe to do so, is j-walking acceptable?

• Total voters
It's Jaywalking, not "J-walking". Has nothing to do with the letter J but the word jay.

jay (adj.)
"fourth-rate, worthless" (as in a jay town), 1888, American English, apparently from some disparaging sense of jay (n.). Perhaps from a decaying or ironical use of jay "flashy dresser."

See also "Gimcrack" (syn) -- as in "Gimcrack corn and I don't care", which refers to getting wasted on cheap whiskey.

It's Jaywalking, not "J-walking". Has nothing to do with the letter J but the word jay.

jay (adj.)
"fourth-rate, worthless" (as in a jay town), 1888, American English, apparently from some disparaging sense of jay (n.). Perhaps from a decaying or ironical use of jay "flashy dresser."

See also "Gimcrack" (syn) -- as in "Gimcrack corn and I don't care", which refers to getting wasted on cheap whiskey.

If only because I understand how frustrating it can be sitting on some bit of arcane trivia year after year never getting to use it....:)

jay (adj.)

If only because I understand how frustrating it can be sitting on some bit of arcane trivia year after year never getting to use it....:)

It isn't "arcane" --- you completely misspelled it. It's not "J-walking" and never has been.

jay (adj.)

It isn't "arcane" --- you completely misspelled it. It's not "J-walking" and never has been.

You appear to be the only one who cares.

jay (adj.)

Yeees, yes (pats your head like a dog.) There's a good boy. (tosses a ball) Get the ball boy! Get the ball!

jay (adj.)

Yeees, yes (pats your head like a dog.) There's a good boy. (tosses a ball) Get the ball boy! Get the ball!

Look, you fucked up. Take responsibility already.

If the intention is to insinuate individual action fits individual judgment, not only is it 'OK, but it is unavoidable.

jay (adj.)

bud um bum.

No, think you did believing despite the OP that this was about the spelling.

jay (adj.)

bud um bum.

No, think you did believing despite the OP that this was about the spelling.

Didn't say it was "all about" spelling, just noted you fucked it up.
And you can't even admit it. Would have been a lot simpler.

If the intention is to insinuate individual action fits individual judgment, not only is it 'OK, but it is unavoidable.

The intent is to compare one culture vs another.

Seattle vs. New York?

Why those two? Was thinking US vs Denmark actually. They're famous for not j-walking. Yet, with admittedly very limited responses so far, we're making the case that it's acceptable to j-walk under perfect conditions. They wouldn't agree. Goes to a vastly different, argueably reversed cultural standard. We're patriarchal, they're more a hybrid or as many say matriarchal.

Get more into it when I have more time but got a major bakeday today.

Forum List

Back