Steel and Aluminum: Economics or Politics

Do you support the imposition of Tariffs

• Yes, it will create jobs

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • No, it will create a tariff war

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No, it will create jobs in one sector, or force layoffs in other sectors of our economy

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
The EU has a 10% tariff on cars imported from the USA
There's quite a bit of difference between a manufacturing commodity like steel and a finished product. Trump already put a tariff on washing machines. No one squawked. This is quite different.
Trump also mentioned a "mirror" type situation, where down the road he wants to mirror tariffs imposed by other countries on us with identical tariffs on them.
That is true Trade War, sounds like to me.
Well, enjoy that "raise" from the tax cuts while you can, folks. Sounds like we're going to spending it all soon enough.

But it would be a trade war that will cause the other countries to lose
more than America.

Our companies pay tariffs in most every country we deal with and in
those slim instances where we apply a tariff it is an unequal amount
to what our country pays them.

The Donald is not backing off because he knows this. Europe, especially,
is vulnerable. We could put a massive hurt on their profits that they cannot
recoup anywhere else. They can't swap out the American Market for Peru
and get the same profits.

The best move for most foreign countries is not to go to war at all.

Just issue some politically correct statement, that will have throngs of
Europeans marching in the street singing the praises of the European continent and it's 700-year old buildings and homes and leave it at that.

Maybe they can boycott America as a tourist destination. I, for one,
would be upset not getting to see the atypical European, with his undersized
shirt, short shorts, knee high black socks and wingtips walking around
Disney World. I would have to reserve all my laughter for Goofy, instead
of laughing at skinny ass, European Men, that obviously do not understand
the function of a mirror.
There was a reason we did that. I wonder what it was.

The EU has a 10% tariff on cars imported from the USA

A Jeep Wrangler can cost $30,000 more in China than in the United States — and the reasons illustrate a growing point of tension between the two countries.

Manufactured in Toledo, Ohio, the Wrangler is a descendant of the jeeps that were used by American forces in World War II.
Equipped with a 3.6-liter engine and a five-speed automatic transmission, the Rubicon edition of the Wrangler has a suggested retail price of $40,530 in the United States.

But in China, the same vehicle would set a buyer back by a hefty $71,000, mostly because of taxes that Beijing charges on every car, minivan and sport utility vehicle that is made in another country and brought to China’s shores.
China’s Taxes on Imported Cars Feed Trade Tensions With U.S.

michael_ramirez_michael_ramirez_for_mar_07_2018_5_.jpg

Another anti-free trade leftist Democrat who switched sides because "Trump"
hey dumbass, Tramp's tariffs are anti free trade.
It's you hypocrite Trumpists who have switched sides because of Tramp. I have always promoted the Law of Comparative Advantage, which is the essence of free trade. CON$ never heard of it and have no understanding of it.

The nefarious Donald Trump, he supports our industries, increases employment, causes a rise in salaries and secures our borders just to make republicans look good and get a second term for himself. How dare him use such dirty and underhanded tactics.

It's you hypocrite Trumpists who have switched sides because of Tramp. I have always promoted the Law of Comparative Advantage, which is the essence of free trade. CON$ never heard of it and have no understanding of it.

Hayek and Friedman are FAKE NEWS. LOL

The nefarious Donald Trump, he supports our industries, increases employment, causes a rise in salaries and secures our borders just to make republicans look good and get a second term for himself. How dare him use such dirty and underhanded tactics.
It may work. I never has, at least since we stopped having incredibly cheap labor and not needing any raw matls or products produced abroad.

I'm not comparing a lexus to a buick, however.

Hayek and Friedman are FAKE NEWS. LOL
If YOU say so!

hey dumbass, Tramp's tariffs are anti free trade

Hey dumbass. I said that. I pointed out that you are against free trade normally and I always am

I'm pro-free trade, always was and always will be. You switched sides, Holmes.

You're just too dumb to understand the conversation. And you're a simpleton who thinks not leftist = trump supporter because you're a brain dead brick who can't process anything but black and white.

I'm not a leftist, so I have to be a Trump supporter or you'd in total confusion run in circles screaming grabbing your head like your hair is on fire until you passed out

Hey dumbass. I said that. I pointed out that you are against free trade normally and I always am

You're just too dumb to understand the conversation. And you're a simpleton who thinks not leftist = trump supporter because you're a brain dead brick who can't process anything but black and white.

I'm not a leftist, so I have to be a Trump supporter or you'd in total confusion run in circles screaming grabbing your head like your hair is on fire until you passed out
You are a liar. I have ALWAYS promoted the Law of Comparative Advantage, the backbone of free trade. Just because you know nothing about the Law does not mean I switched anything, it just means you are totally ignorant of free trade, so how can you be pro anything you know nothing about???

Well he's done it. Now what?

Will it benefit our economy? Or is it solely a political move meant to keep the H. or Rep. under the Republican Leadership?
I do not believe the USA should be disadvantaged by a trade deficit. What do ewe think?
I think if he puts tariffs on the EU, we'll be disadvantaged in trade. but this is about votes.
We are already disadvantaged on trade. Which is the point of tariffs.

Everything imported will go up, the tariff will be paid by the consumers. That's so simple even you might, may, be able to understand it.

Well he's done it. Now what?

Will it benefit our economy? Or is it solely a political move meant to keep the H. or Rep. under the Republican Leadership?
I do not believe the USA should be disadvantaged by a trade deficit. What do ewe think?
I think if he puts tariffs on the EU, we'll be disadvantaged in trade. but this is about votes.
We are already disadvantaged on trade. Which is the point of tariffs.

Everything imported will go up, the tariff will be paid by the consumers. That's so simple even you might, may, be able to understand it.
Yeah, but if the tariffs don't apply to Canada and Mexico .... we get most of it there. We'll see a small domestic increase in production. The point being is that Trump got lots of press, but didn't actually do anything.

The EU isn't going to start a trade war, because their real exporting of metal to the US is in cars and machinery, and Trump didn't touch that.

We don't import steel from China anyway.

You are a liar. I have ALWAYS promoted the Law of Comparative Advantage, the backbone of free trade. Just because you know nothing about the Law does not mean I switched anything, it just means you are totally ignorant of free trade, so how can you be pro anything you know nothing about???

So you're calling Democrats a bunch of anti-free trade fucked up leftards?

No, I'm calling YOU a LIAR!

Bam, exactly

kaz: I'm for free trade all the time

EdTheLemur. So you're against free trade? I am against free trade. Except when Trump is against free trade, then I'm for free trade, but only to get Trump. You've proven you're against free trade by saying that you're for free trade. Bam!

kaz: WTF does that mean?

EdTheLemur: bam! That proves my point!!!!!

Um ... what?

Bam, exactly

kaz: I'm for free trade all the time

EdTheLemur. So you're against free trade? I am against free trade. Except when Trump is against free trade, then I'm for free trade, but only to get Trump. You've proven you're against free trade by saying that you're for free trade. Bam!

kaz: WTF does that mean?

EdTheLemur: bam! That proves my point!!!!!

Um ... what?
Keep on lying.
I never said I was against free trade, and YOU know that, you worthless lying scum POS.
I challenge you to link to me ever being against free trade, you won't because you can't. All you will ever find is me trying to teach you idiots about the Law of Comparative Advantage, the Law that mathematically proves free trade is more advantageous even if your trading partner imposes tariffs.
So go ahead you lying scum POS find me posting against free trade anywhere on this forum. As you can see from the search results below I have been promoting the Law of Comparative Advantage on this forum since 2010, months before you were even a member.

Search Results for Query: comparative advantage | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Last edited:

Forum List

Back