Steel and Aluminum: Economics or Politics

Do you support the imposition of Tariffs

• Yes, it will create jobs

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • No, it will create a tariff war

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No, it will create jobs in one sector, or force layoffs in other sectors of our economy

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
Well he's done it. Now what?

Will it benefit our economy? Or is it solely a political move meant to keep the H. or Rep. under the Republican Leadership?

You're so leftist that just being anti-freedom isn't an option that you even thought of, so I couldn't answer your poll. I would have voted no, but neither of your no vote explanations were statements I could agree with.

What about

No - I support free trade

How did that not even occur to you? The problem with your choices is that you think whether you vote yes or no, every choice legitimizes that free trade is a government decision, not a decision of the people

Oh bullshit. You proved you can answer the poll, your free speech has never by me been subject to censor. The issue in this thread is less about the issue of free trade, and intended as an up or down vote on this latest Trump dictate.

What defines a leftist, and specifically, why do you label me as, "so leftist that just being anti-freedom isn't an option that you even thought"?"

I support equal rights and equal opportunities for women, the LGBTQ community, minorities, immigrants and the ill, infirm & aged. I support universal voting rights for all citizens and the vision left us as outlined in the Preamble to COTUS, and that all of us should be allowed to be secure in our are Life, are Liberty and are pursuit to be Happy.

That said, your syntax is confusing. What specifically did you mean by this comment:

"so leftist that just being anti-freedom isn't an option that you even thought"?

Will it benefit our economy? Or is it solely a political move meant to keep the H. or Rep. under the Republican Leadership?
wry obama put a tariff on foreign tires that from what i read hurt jobs here....i dont remember anyone getting on him for that...and as far as steel goes....we should be producing our own steel....

True enough, so why will we be putting a tariff on Steel and Aluminum? Free traders oppose Trump on this issue, I assume they opposed Obama too.
with trump one never knows,but if he revitalizes our steel production and gets the American steel industry rolling again....i wont complain....

He's already backed down from his promise, and has made exceptions for both S&A by excusing Canada and Mexico along with other allies. Trump is a leader with no direction, and has the one character flaw of a non leader - he is always concerned with how any decision will effect him, not how it will impact the rest of us.

A fatal flaw for anyone seeking to be a leader.
he is always concerned with how any decision will effect him, not how it will impact the rest of us.
as far as i am concerned Wry that makes him no different than 90% of the politicians in the country....

You're so leftist that just being anti-freedom isn't an option that you even thought of, so I couldn't answer your poll. I would have voted no, but neither of your no vote explanations were statements I could agree with.

What about

No - I support free trade

How did that not even occur to you? The problem with your choices is that you think whether you vote yes or no, every choice legitimizes that free trade is a government decision, not a decision of the people

Oh bullshit. You proved you can answer the poll, your free speech has never by me been subject to censor. The issue in this thread is less about the issue of free trade, and intended as an up or down vote on this latest Trump dictate

Right, and I said I vote down. I don't know what "dicatate" means that is somehow different than all the crap Obama supported. You're proving yet again what a partisan hack you are. Just measuring the same action completely differently by party.

What defines a leftist, and specifically, why do you label me as, "so leftist that just being anti-freedom isn't an option that you even thought"?"

Everything you've ever posted is leftist. Do you remember when you started the thread in the badlands attacking me for a bunch of my positions, every one of which you got wrong? LOL

I support equal rights and equal opportunities for women, the LGBTQ community, minorities, immigrants and the ill, infirm & aged

Everyone does. The question is what our policies are. This is typical leftist crap. You measure yourself by your objectives, not your policies

I support universal voting rights for all citizens

We all do. You also support voting rights for illegals, dead people and people who want to vote more than once because you know that cheating is primarily done by Democrats

and the vision left us as outlined in the Preamble to COTUS, and that all of us should be allowed to be secure in our are Life, are Liberty and are pursuit to be Happy

And you define happiness as a warm, authoritarian leftist government which doesn't accomplish any of those things

That said, your syntax is confusing. What specifically did you mean by this comment:

"so leftist that just being anti-freedom isn't an option that you even thought"?

I oppose tariffs because they are anti-freedom. Your no choices both came with the assumption that it's government's choice, not the people's, and that we need to justify freedom. You are so leftist that when you came up with your choices, you gave no generic "no" option and you did not have a no option which is just that I oppose tariffs because I support freedom. It didn't even occur to you

Economics, like war, is politics continued by other means.

He promised things like this to the people who voted for him, he is trying to deliver.

The EU has a 10% tariff on cars imported from the USA
There's quite a bit of difference between a manufacturing commodity like steel and a finished product. Trump already put a tariff on washing machines. No one squawked. This is quite different.
Trump also mentioned a "mirror" type situation, where down the road he wants to mirror tariffs imposed by other countries on us with identical tariffs on them.
That is true Trade War, sounds like to me.
Well, enjoy that "raise" from the tax cuts while you can, folks. Sounds like we're going to spending it all soon enough.

The EU has a 10% tariff on cars imported from the USA
There's quite a bit of difference between a manufacturing commodity like steel and a finished product. Trump already put a tariff on washing machines. No one squawked. This is quite different.
Trump also mentioned a "mirror" type situation, where down the road he wants to mirror tariffs imposed by other countries on us with identical tariffs on them.
That is true Trade War, sounds like to me.
Well, enjoy that "raise" from the tax cuts while you can, folks. Sounds like we're going to spending it all soon enough.

But it would be a trade war that will cause the other countries to lose
more than America.

Our companies pay tariffs in most every country we deal with and in
those slim instances where we apply a tariff it is an unequal amount
to what our country pays them.

The Donald is not backing off because he knows this. Europe, especially,
is vulnerable. We could put a massive hurt on their profits that they cannot
recoup anywhere else. They can't swap out the American Market for Peru
and get the same profits.

The best move for most foreign countries is not to go to war at all.

Just issue some politically correct statement, that will have throngs of
Europeans marching in the street singing the praises of the European continent and it's 700-year old buildings and homes and leave it at that.

Maybe they can boycott America as a tourist destination. I, for one,
would be upset not getting to see the atypical European, with his undersized
shirt, short shorts, knee high black socks and wingtips walking around
Disney World. I would have to reserve all my laughter for Goofy, instead
of laughing at skinny ass, European Men, that obviously do not understand
the function of a mirror.

I do not believe the USA should be disadvantaged by a trade deficit. What do ewe think?
I think if he puts tariffs on the EU, we'll be disadvantaged in trade. but this is about votes.

I do not believe the USA should be disadvantaged by a trade deficit. What do ewe think?
I think if he puts tariffs on the EU, we'll be disadvantaged in trade. but this is about votes.
We are already disadvantaged on trade. Which is the point of tariffs.

He's a populist like Slick Willie was. The difference is that he's not a Democrat so you suddenly care

He's a populist like Slick Willie was. The difference is that he's not a Democrat so you suddenly care
Actually, tariffs are a democrat position, and you love him because .... who the fuck cares.

Tariffs harm American businesses and consumers and open the door to more government abuse of the economy. There is nothing good about them

Actually, tariffs are a democrat position, and you love him because .... who the fuck cares.

So you're a Democrat attacking a Republican for taking a Democrat position and I'm partisan? Yeah.

I'll dumb it down to your speed. Here's a stick, good boy, good boy, now go fetch!

And you're another brainless Democrat who correctly recognizes I'm not a leftist and in your simpleton mind that can only mean I'm a Republican. How stupid are you? Seriously, you can't conceive of anyone who isn't a Democrat other than Republicans? You can't process that?

Tariffs harm American businesses and consumers and open the door to more government abuse of the economy. There is nothing good about them
So then, how would ewe address the huge trade deficits?

So then, how would ewe address the huge trade deficits?

I'm a sheep for not believing that government should fix trade or is even capable of that????

Rrrrrriiiiiiiggggghhhhhhttttttt....

Government makes it worse. Let's stop punishing companies who do things like hire employees and keep manufacturing onshore like we do now. The solution is capitalism.

The trade deficit calculations are bogus anyway

So you're a Democrat attacking a Republican for taking a Democrat position and I'm partisan? Yeah.

I'll dumb it down to your speed. Here's a stick, good boy, good boy, now go fetch!

And you're another brainless Democrat who correctly recognizes I'm not a leftist and in your simpleton mind that can only mean I'm a Republican. How stupid are you? Seriously, you can't conceive of anyone who isn't a Democrat other than Republicans? You can't process that?
No, I'm normally a republican opposed to Trump taking pro-union positions. But that makes no sense to you, because you're crazy.

michael_ramirez_michael_ramirez_for_mar_07_2018_5_.jpg

Well, are we disadvantaged vis a vis the EU? They beat the stew out of us in cars and maftring, but their economies don't consume as much HC and labor costs are helped.

But overall, we export more intellectual property than we import, but are hopelessly addicted to consumer goods. IF we can satisfy US demand for consumer goods by making it here, as good and as cheaply, then perhaps this will work. Unlike the 1970s we are not dependent on foreign oil. But we had a maftring base then, and we don't today.

Forum List

Back