Steel and Aluminum: Economics or Politics

Do you support the imposition of Tariffs

• Yes, it will create jobs

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • No, it will create a tariff war

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No, it will create jobs in one sector, or force layoffs in other sectors of our economy

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
The EU has a 10% tariff on cars imported from the USA

No, No, No, Frank! Don't you understand? Tariffs only work and are good for EVERYBODY ELSE! ;)

BAD, USA, Bad!
Tariffs are BAD for EVERYONE!!!
No tariff is good for anyone!!!

Trumpists need to STUDY the Law of Comparative Advantage and they will learn that tariffs ALWAYS hurt the country that imposes them.

No, No, No, Frank! Don't you understand? Tariffs only work and are good for EVERYBODY ELSE! ;)

BAD, USA, Bad!

Trumpists need to STUDY the Law of Comparative Advantage and they will learn that tariffs ALWAYS hurt the country that imposes them.

Non sequitur. Tariffs might be bad but if everyone else uses them, then we must use them too as an equalizer otherwise we are just kicking ourselves in the ass. What is solved if we don't use them but everyone else still does against us? We then make Tariffs a very GOOD idea------ for them.

We're going to have to hold our water and see how this all plays out. Yes, we could end up in a trade war and that would suck for everybody. Or we could end up with some better trade deals and possibly get those foreign countries who are transshipping Chinese steel into the US to knock it off. Some of them anyway, and keep the tariffs in place on those who don't. Don't forget, the rest of the world doesn't want a trade war either and most of them have more to lose than we do, so we rework a lot of trade deals to our benefit.

Economics or politics? Why not economics and politics? Why not trust an administration that "wants to make America great again" rather than an administration that warned Americans to suffer for the greater good of global warming and "wean America off fossil fuel" while the rest of the world was gobbling up oil?

It will not benefit the economy at all, it will hurt it. It was done because a moron said he would do it and he will even if it fucks the country

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
How exactly is being perpetually in a trade deficit beneficial to the USA?

The same way it it beneficial to me to be perpetually in a trade deficit with my local grocery store. I could grow all of my own food and have my own cattle and pigs and chickens. But it is cheaper and easier for my to trade my money with the store to get those things. This benefits both me and the store.

The same way it is beneficial to me for my employer to perpetually be in a in a trade deficit with me. I have something that my employers wants, my technical and analytical skills. They are willing to trade me their money in exchange for my time and skills. This benefits both of us.

We have a trade deficit because the citizens of this country want to buy things that other countries make. Some countries produce products for a lower price and similar quality. It makes sense to pay less for these goods.
You are deeply in debt? And you like this why?

Nope, not deeply in debt at all because I live within my means. When the wife and I decided we wanted a higher standard of living we both did something about it and quadrupled our family income in less than 7 years.

Our country is not in debt because of the trade deficit, it is in debt because the Fed Govt operates in a perpetually in the red. Our country does not live within its means. The trade deficit is not the Fed Govt giving money to other countries, it is you and I and every other resident of the country doing so.
Oh, so you in fact are not running deficits at the grocers? Hhhhmmmmm.

I do have a huge trade deficit with my grocery store. Just today I gave them 60 bucks and all I got back were some steaks, some shrimp and some beer.

BAD, USA, Bad!

Non sequitur. Tariffs might be bad but if everyone else uses them, then we must use them too as an equalizer otherwise we are just kicking ourselves in the ass. What is solved if we don't use them but everyone else still does against us? We then make Tariffs a very GOOD idea------ for them.
Wrong!
Tariffs reduce the comparative advantage of free trade for anyone who who uses them, so all you are doing is equalizing the damage tariffs do by kicking yourself in your ass just because your trading partner is kicking themselves in their ass.

Again you need to study the Law of Comparative Advantage.

It will not benefit the economy at all, it will hurt it. It was done because a moron said he would do it and he will even if it fucks the country

We are not perpetually in a trade deficit.

Do some research and trust Trump only after you have verified his statements.

We are not perpetually in a trade deficit.

Do some research and trust Trump only after you have verified his statements.
So show me where we are in trade balance?

Well he's done it. Now what?

Will it benefit our economy? Or is it solely a political move meant to keep the H. or Rep. under the Republican Leadership?
This is a great day for America, our communities and workers. Economists talk of “trade war.” Those fucking body’s bags have been filled by American workers for years because of foreign tariffs on US manufactured goods. Time to fight back. Oh...and BTW...Trump just got re-elected today.
Tariffs, Trump and trade wars: Here's what it all means

Will it benefit our economy? Or is it solely a political move meant to keep the H. or Rep. under the Republican Leadership?
wry obama put a tariff on foreign tires that from what i read hurt jobs here....i dont remember anyone getting on him for that...and as far as steel goes....we should be producing our own steel....

True enough, so why will we be putting a tariff on Steel and Aluminum? Free traders oppose Trump on this issue, I assume they opposed Obama too.

Economics or politics? Why not economics and politics? Why not trust an administration that "wants to make America great again" rather than an administration that warned Americans to suffer for the greater good of global warming and "wean America off fossil fuel" while the rest of the world was gobbling up oil?

Wow. One might have believed the United States led by example, and worked to clean the air, the water and the soil. Well we did, and Nixon signed off on it. Now we have Trump, who doesn't give a damn for anyone but himself. The health and well being of our citizen and our planet are not on his radar.

You're so leftist that just being anti-freedom isn't an option that you even thought of, so I couldn't answer your poll. I would have voted no, but neither of your no vote explanations were statements I could agree with.

What about

No - I support free trade

How did that not even occur to you? The problem with your choices is that you think whether you vote yes or no, every choice legitimizes that free trade is a government decision, not a decision of the people

wry obama put a tariff on foreign tires that from what i read hurt jobs here....i dont remember anyone getting on him for that...and as far as steel goes....we should be producing our own steel....

"True enough, so why will we be putting a tariff on Steel and Aluminum? Free traders oppose Trump on this issue" - agreed, I do

"I assume they opposed Obama too" - agreed, I did

It’s bad economics and bad politics.

“But even if tariffs save every one of the 140,000 or so steel jobs in America, it puts at risk 5 million manufacturing and related jobs in industries that use steel. These producers now have to compete in hyper-competitive international markets using steel that is 20 percent above the world price and aluminum that is 7 to 10 percent above the price paid by our foreign rivals.

In other words, steel and aluminum may win in the short term, but steel and aluminum users and consumers will lose. In fact, tariff hikes are really tax hikes.

‎ Some of those 5 million jobs will be put in harm's way. And if they sell less to foreigners, the trade deficit goes up, not down.”

Kudlow: Trump's steel tariffs are a 'crisis of logic' — and the equivalent of a tax hike

It’s bad economics and bad politics.

“But even if tariffs save every one of the 140,000 or so steel jobs in America, it puts at risk 5 million manufacturing and related jobs in industries that use steel. These producers now have to compete in hyper-competitive international markets using steel that is 20 percent above the world price and aluminum that is 7 to 10 percent above the price paid by our foreign rivals.

In other words, steel and aluminum may win in the short term, but steel and aluminum users and consumers will lose. In fact, tariff hikes are really tax hikes.

‎ Some of those 5 million jobs will be put in harm's way. And if they sell less to foreigners, the trade deficit goes up, not down.”

Kudlow: Trump's steel tariffs are a 'crisis of logic' — and the equivalent of a tax hike

That you support free trade is just a joke. You'll flip on every issue every time if it's self serving to the Democrat party

True enough, so why will we be putting a tariff on Steel and Aluminum? Free traders oppose Trump on this issue, I assume they opposed Obama too.
with trump one never knows,but if he revitalizes our steel production and gets the American steel industry rolling again....i wont complain....

with trump one never knows,but if he revitalizes our steel production and gets the American steel industry rolling again....i wont complain....

He's already backed down from his promise, and has made exceptions for both S&A by excusing Canada and Mexico along with other allies. Trump is a leader with no direction, and has the one character flaw of a non leader - he is always concerned with how any decision will effect him, not how it will impact the rest of us.

A fatal flaw for anyone seeking to be a leader.

Forum List

Back