so many of you talk about the poor and underpriveledged

Why is free entertainment so frowned upon?

Beats me. I kinda like dragging my teenager away from his electronic shit and making him play board games with his father and me. Family time is loads of fun, and dead-cheap. And my 3-year-old is so easy and inexpensive to spend time with, it's not even funny. Toddlers require little more than your attention to be entertained, and they're endlessly amusing to watch.

Sounds like a party at your place.

They just had a segment on 60 minutes where they interviewed a couple of poor kids living in a truck because their carpenter father can't find a job. Pretty sad.

If you're a grandpa, how old is your brother?

38 and still living on your dime as well as mine. But he's my bro so I'm stuck.

My daughter is a nurse and she just got a second job washing dogs at Pet Smart. She does it becuase she likes dogs but it pays 8.00 an hour. When you're out of work, you have to lower your standards a little and get creative like dog washing just to keep earning.

I waitressed as well as teaching. You have to deal with the hand you've been dealt. Government assistance never entered my head. Good for your daughter, Sarah. You did a nice job.

They just had a segment on 60 minutes where they interviewed a couple of poor kids living in a truck because their carpenter father can't find a job. Pretty sad.

If you're a grandpa, how old is your brother?

My daughter is a nurse and she just got a second job washing dogs at Pet Smart. She does it becuase she likes dogs but it pays 8.00 an hour. When you're out of work, you have to lower your standards a little and get creative like dog washing just to keep earning.

Yer daughter has 2 jobs?
No wonder there are unemployed people, people like yer daughter are hogging all the jobs.
<sarcasm intended>

I waitressed as well as teaching. You have to deal with the hand you've been dealt. Government assistance never entered my head. Good for your daughter, Sarah. You did a nice job.

Thanks. She is motivated, I was a single mother most of her life but never out of work for long. You just have to keep going.

Thanks. She is motivated, I was a single mother most of her life but never out of work for long. You just have to keep going.

We have to have more people like her. It's not only motivation, but pride and a sense of personal responsibility. Something many have lost.

We have to have more people like her. It's not only motivation, but pride and a sense of personal responsibility. Something many have lost.

Or those like my brother that never learned such values.

Tomorrow is going to be problematic for me. I gave him an ultimatum and he clearly isn't gonna be successful.

Fuck!

We have the same number of people with pride and a sense of personal responsibility as we have ever had.

I call bullshit on the bum/pastor story. That one is on every final exam at nutter stereotype school.

Call anything you like, but it's still the truth. If you can prove that I'm lying about it, other than "they always say that", go ahead. Otherwise, I call bullshit on your entire existence.

Gee....I am so glad I have your permission. Maybe you are not lying. Maybe your pastor lied to you and you actually believe it. My existence, huh? Snappy.

Or maybe you're just an asshat who doesn't like to face realities that contradict the way he wishes the world was.

Not that it's any of your business, but the church I grew up in is very close to Tucson's downtown area, with the Interstate, bus station, and train tracks. As a consequence, the church's area is usually really popular with the homeless. Anyone in Tucson can tell you that panhandling with signs on the traffic islands at intersections was a popular activity before the law was passed prohibiting anyone from being on those islands.

As for that specific bum and that specific pastor, sorry to break it to you, but my parents and I lived at the church at the time. We were the on-site caretakers. I went past that bum every time I walked across the street to the supermarket. And I happened to be present the day the pastor decided to go out and offer him a meal in exchange for chores, which was our church's standard response to the bums who came knocking on the door, looking for handouts. Given how much contact living at a church near downtown gave me with bums, I can tell you all kinds of stories of people who were offended by the very IDEA that they should have to give something back, or have their charity limited to the food they claimed to want, rather than just being handed a free wad of cash to do with as they pleased.

We have the same number of people with pride and a sense of personal responsibility as we have ever had.

Proof? Link?

Why is free entertainment so frowned upon?

Beats me. I kinda like dragging my teenager away from his electronic shit and making him play board games with his father and me. Family time is loads of fun, and dead-cheap. And my 3-year-old is so easy and inexpensive to spend time with, it's not even funny. Toddlers require little more than your attention to be entertained, and they're endlessly amusing to watch.

I'm sorry to hear that you consider spending time with family an unpleasant hardship. Let me assure you that not all families feel that way.

I have to disagree. Before we had the entitlement state, there were no alternatives other than working for what you get. The more enabling we do, the less pride we see in the less motivated of our people. It's too bad that the Enabling State had been so engraved in our culture. It will be our downfall, sad to say. JMO

I'm sorry to hear that you consider spending time with family an unpleasant hardship. Let me assure you that not all families feel that way.

You try hard.....but fail. If you have to drag the kid and make him play a game with you.....you have a ways to go when it comes to quality time.

You try hard.....but fail. If you have to drag the kid and make him play a game with you.....you have a ways to go when it comes to quality time.

Bullshit

Just because you let your daughter wear the pants doesn't mean that the right way to raise your children.

For instance your proud she has a messy room. My daughter now thanks me regularly for setting boundaries despite her mother letting her break them.

You obviously think every child is like yours and as such you fail.

But you seemingly have no perspective on what it means to truly be poor. Or why someone is in that situation.

The terms are thrown around on USMB anytime it serves your personal agenda or ideology without giving any thought to what constitutes their personal circumstances. I've told my story a couple times so I won't go into it again but sufficed to say most of you are clueless.

Most of the time a mere lack of priorities leads a family down the wrong path. How many times have you stopped to help a homeless person to offer help only to have it denied? I have many times. On occasion I've offered to work someone with a "will work for food" sign only to have them put out their cigarette (which cost money) and tell me they really only had time for cash gifts.

Then you have families that can barely afford to put food on the table yet they have cable and xboxes. My brother is one of those people. He is right now as we speak sleeping in my basement despite being told to find a job by this Monday or get out.

I am tired of people always saying we have to do more for the poor when a large portion of them won't even help themselves. I lifted myself from poverty so why do I have to do for others what they can do for themselves? I'm not saying we shouldn't have a safety net but I am saying the able but unwilling can fall through our safety net for all I care.

So how do you define "large portion". You seem to want to not help anyone because you've witnessed the bad apples you take advantage of the system. Then you assume that a large portion of the poor are just like your brother. Seems rather short sighted. The problem is, how do you differentiate the people who truly need help from those who are milking the system? How can you provide the help to those who need it and withhold it from the deadbeats? Answer that and you'll solve something that no one else has been able to.

drug test.
But you seemingly have no perspective on what it means to truly be poor. Or why someone is in that situation.

The terms are thrown around on USMB anytime it serves your personal agenda or ideology without giving any thought to what constitutes their personal circumstances. I've told my story a couple times so I won't go into it again but sufficed to say most of you are clueless.

Most of the time a mere lack of priorities leads a family down the wrong path. How many times have you stopped to help a homeless person to offer help only to have it denied? I have many times. On occasion I've offered to work someone with a "will work for food" sign only to have them put out their cigarette (which cost money) and tell me they really only had time for cash gifts.

Then you have families that can barely afford to put food on the table yet they have cable and xboxes. My brother is one of those people. He is right now as we speak sleeping in my basement despite being told to find a job by this Monday or get out.

I am tired of people always saying we have to do more for the poor when a large portion of them won't even help themselves. I lifted myself from poverty so why do I have to do for others what they can do for themselves? I'm not saying we shouldn't have a safety net but I am saying the able but unwilling can fall through our safety net for all I care.

So how do you define "large portion". You seem to want to not help anyone because you've witnessed the bad apples you take advantage of the system. Then you assume that a large portion of the poor are just like your brother. Seems rather short sighted. The problem is, how do you differentiate the people who truly need help from those who are milking the system? How can you provide the help to those who need it and withhold it from the deadbeats? Answer that and you'll solve something that no one else has been able to.

drug test.

Drug test. Hmmmm, interesting. Think about this for a minute. Imagine what would happen if every person of working age (employed, self-employed, and unemployed) were to be drug tested....since we have all these people with "severe back pain", in America.

40 U.S. Deaths a Day from Prescription Painkillers

40 people per day isn't many, next to 300+ million people...but my hunch tells me that this doesn't scratch the surface of the number of abusers. And my point in making this assertion, is that the unemployed on welfare are not the only "dopeheads" in this country. Believe it!

Signs of several types of drug abuses:
Drug Use Signs / Symptoms

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rHfWg-z8Gw&feature=related]Glenn Beck Explains Why He Chewed Out Liberal Caller - YouTube[/ame]

(totally inappropriate behavior)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1AovV3zgU]Part 1 Rush Limbaugh: Obama is Destroying the Economy - YouTube[/ame]

(the scratching, and sweating)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdBiUnHSZDM&feature=related]Warning Signs of Painkiller Addiction - YouTube[/ame]

Now if these two aren't immune, no one is. I had a coworker recently punch out the screen of one of our laptops. Of course he is no longer employed with us, but it turned out that he had a HUGE addiction to oxycontin. It's so common, that I wonder how many people would join the ranks of the unemployed, if EVERYONE were suddenly drug tested.

I'll betcha millions!

Bullshit

Just because you let your daughter wear the pants doesn't mean that the right way to raise your children.

For instance your proud she has a messy room. My daughter now thanks me regularly for setting boundaries despite her mother letting her break them.

Check you out! All dickish and shit. You have more than one personality, don't you?

BTW.....take a reding comprehension class.

Last edited:

Bullshit

Nazi!

Anyways i find it best not to get into how people raise kids. Its a touchy subject.

This is true.

Bullshit

Check you out! All dickish and shit. You have more than one personality, don't you?

BTW.....take a reding comprehension class.

How would a reding comprehension class help me? I'm familiar with the red color pallet.

I wasn't trying to be insultive of you or your daughter. I was merely pointing out that every child has different needs.

Forum List

Back