so many of you talk about the poor and underpriveledged

Not as many by a long shot. What you have is more working poor. Men who used to make $20-30 an hour doing construction are now struggling at $10 an hour.

We will always have poor. But America is exceptional, that is what I am told. We should set the example for how our poor are treated...we do not

Plasma claims to be one of the working poor. Yet he has cable, internet, computer, xbox, videogames etc.... None of which is cheap. Seems if he truly is poor he is the one to blame by frivolous spending rather than proper financial planning. So who is representing him wrong? Seems to me he made the decisions to spend rather than save or invest.

Typical Conservative misdirection......you can't be poor if you have toys. Toys contribute little to your standard of living. Rent, electricity, transportation, healthcare cost thousands a month. You are bitching about things that cost $100.

The working poor are finding it harder to afford the basics in life and conservatives bitch about toys

excuse me but that shit cost a helluv a lot more than a hundred bucks.

Cable/internet............120
Xbox.............................300
Each game....................60
Computer.....................800
TV..................................300+

Then what about all the other types of unnecessary products.....

Laptops
Ipods
Iphones
Playstations
Dvd/bluray players
Stereos
Fancy wheels on your cars

My point is all that crap adds up to a large amount of money and how can one claim to be poor and want more help when their poor financial planning is so obvious?

I got to pay for someone to get food stamps so they can afford the latest and greatest game? Fuck that

But you seemingly have no perspective on what it means to truly be poor. Or why someone is in that situation.

The terms are thrown around on USMB anytime it serves your personal agenda or ideology without giving any thought to what constitutes their personal circumstances. I've told my story a couple times so I won't go into it again but sufficed to say most of you are clueless.

Most of the time a mere lack of priorities leads a family down the wrong path. How many times have you stopped to help a homeless person to offer help only to have it denied? I have many times. On occasion I've offered to work someone with a "will work for food" sign only to have them put out their cigarette (which cost money) and tell me they really only had time for cash gifts.

Then you have families that can barely afford to put food on the table yet they have cable and xboxes. My brother is one of those people. He is right now as we speak sleeping in my basement despite being told to find a job by this Monday or get out.

I am tired of people always saying we have to do more for the poor when a large portion of them won't even help themselves. I lifted myself from poverty so why do I have to do for others what they can do for themselves? I'm not saying we shouldn't have a safety net but I am saying the able but unwilling can fall through our safety net for all I care.

So how do you define "large portion". You seem to want to not help anyone because you've witnessed the bad apples you take advantage of the system. Then you assume that a large portion of the poor are just like your brother. Seems rather short sighted. The problem is, how do you differentiate the people who truly need help from those who are milking the system? How can you provide the help to those who need it and withhold it from the deadbeats? Answer that and you'll solve something that no one else has been able to.

Start by helping anyone that needs it. But with that help require work or school. Handouts only prolong bad behavior. Require that monetary benifits be paid back upon finding employment. Make the payments very small but the point is to institute responsibility.

I don't claim to have all the answers or even the right ones but to simply keep handing out shit like candy will never solve anything.

Certainly, just taxing folks that work isn't the answer to providing a helping hand.
The government does not have some sort of magical "Chi" or "Force" that allows them to tell the difference.
Let me and you decide where our charity dollars go.

But you seemingly have no perspective on what it means to truly be poor. Or why someone is in that situation.

The terms are thrown around on USMB anytime it serves your personal agenda or ideology without giving any thought to what constitutes their personal circumstances. I've told my story a couple times so I won't go into it again but sufficed to say most of you are clueless.

Most of the time a mere lack of priorities leads a family down the wrong path. How many times have you stopped to help a homeless person to offer help only to have it denied? I have many times. On occasion I've offered to work someone with a "will work for food" sign only to have them put out their cigarette (which cost money) and tell me they really only had time for cash gifts.

Then you have families that can barely afford to put food on the table yet they have cable and xboxes. My brother is one of those people. He is right now as we speak sleeping in my basement despite being told to find a job by this Monday or get out.

I am tired of people always saying we have to do more for the poor when a large portion of them won't even help themselves. I lifted myself from poverty so why do I have to do for others what they can do for themselves? I'm not saying we shouldn't have a safety net but I am saying the able but unwilling can fall through our safety net for all I care.

There it is again. A vague reference to the number of honest-to-goodness deadbeat, lazy bums that we have in this country. Maybe Gramps can tell me............How many of these people are there? How much taxpayer money goes to 100% leeches of able body? Numbers, please.

There it is again. A vague reference to the number of honest-to-goodness deadbeat, lazy bums that we have in this country. Maybe Gramps can tell me............How many of these people are there? How much taxpayer money goes to 100% leeches of able body? Numbers, please.

Were you a professional movie projector in another life?

My friend and her sister, in their 50's are now moving back into their mother's home. One of them lost her job and has spent more than a year looking for another one. Yeah, she's tried McDonald's. The other has worked as a maid for years. She has tourette's syndrome so there aren't a lot of jobs she can get. She's worked her butt off for years and still can't afford a roof over her head without help.

Do you have any idea what it's like to try to find a job in this economy? Do you have any idea what it's like to work so hard your body wears out but you never even make enough to provide a retirement for yourself? Apparently you don't. It's not always about choices. Some of it's luck. I'm glad for you that yours was good.

I guess your point is there is a wide range of reasons why some people do not do as well as others. The right wing loves to place the blame on the welfare queen scamming the system or those who are too lazy to work.

Any way you cut it, this is a piss poor economy. People who formerly had good jobs with good pay and benefits find themselves without work and ask "What did I do wrong?". I get tired of people calling our bottom 50% lazy and stupid. American workers are the hardest working and most productive in the world.

Truth be told, the people responsible for their struggles are still doing well. They made bad investments, they took wild risks, they were the first in line for bailouts. The financial collapse they created is hurting millions of workers. It is time we stop blaming the victims

So our poor didn't exist before the 08 collapse?

Partisan much?
Yeah......Hoover was forced to become....

handjob.gif

Plasma claims to be one of the working poor. Yet he has cable, internet, computer, xbox, videogames etc.... None of which is cheap. Seems if he truly is poor he is the one to blame by frivolous spending rather than proper financial planning. So who is representing him wrong? Seems to me he made the decisions to spend rather than save or invest.

Typical Conservative misdirection......you can't be poor if you have toys. Toys contribute little to your standard of living. Rent, electricity, transportation, healthcare cost thousands a month. You are bitching about things that cost $100.

The working poor are finding it harder to afford the basics in life and conservatives bitch about toys

Laptops
Ipods
Iphones
Playstations
Dvd/bluray players
Stereos

My point is all that crap adds up to a large amount of money and how can one claim to be poor and want more help when their poor financial planning is so obvious?

I got to pay for someone to get food stamps so they can afford the latest and greatest game? Fuck that

I'm talking monthly expenses. Cable/Internet/phone is under $100.

The others are expenditures. You can buy used computers, video systems And TVs cheap. Some people even give them away. They may have even had a good paying job when they bought them

The point is these toys are red herrings compared to the thousands of dollars needed for other monthly expenditures.

My friend and her sister, in their 50's are now moving back into their mother's home. One of them lost her job and has spent more than a year looking for another one. Yeah, she's tried McDonald's. The other has worked as a maid for years. She has tourette's syndrome so there aren't a lot of jobs she can get. She's worked her butt off for years and still can't afford a roof over her head without help.

Do you have any idea what it's like to try to find a job in this economy? Do you have any idea what it's like to work so hard your body wears out but you never even make enough to provide a retirement for yourself? Apparently you don't. It's not always about choices. Some of it's luck. I'm glad for you that yours was good.

I feel very sorry for them. And I do understand. I took care of my grandmother in the final years of her life. It was a horrendous job dealing with her as her mind went. She had had open heart surgery also and her chest wound never really healed. Thank god for my exwife. She could deal with the open wound on my grandmothers chest. Unfortunately I had to deal with her disgusting disorder of trying to physically dig out poop because she abused laxitaves for so long her bowels no longer functioned properly. It was an increasingly difficult half decade for us. She managed to MELT part of my new glass top stove and that was the end as she became a clear danger to all of us. I miss her everyday.

Then you talk about slaving your body away for your job. I've had to have surgery twice because of my job. Now the doctors want to replace my knee. I've told them NO because as my knees go so goes my career.

I sympathize with you but by the same token it wasn't your job to care for my very sick grandmother. Nor is it mine to care for yours.

Good luck to you and your family.

i am the working poor. So shut it.

You are not poor. So face it.

yes i am for this country. I know you want to compare it to other nations.
I made just about 10 k this year because construction was slow....And a few other reasons.....

So i am classified as the working poor right now. Its not always going to be like this for my family, and i will donate back what i needed now.....

I have manners and honor, unlike some people.

You can respect that or not, your choice, but i am in the poor class.

That is pretty bad. Why do you continue the video games then? That is a very expensive hobby.

Not as many by a long shot. What you have is more working poor. Men who used to make $20-30 an hour doing construction are now struggling at $10 an hour.

We will always have poor. But America is exceptional, that is what I am told. We should set the example for how our poor are treated...we do not

I have four video games, One is in Cali in storage, I dont play the other two. Batman was 15 bucks because i had a coupon. GOW i had to make payments on at gamestop to buy it, And thats WITH trading things in. My xbox came to me by trading and selling things off i didnt need in order to get it.
Dont get me started on our cable and internet. We shouldnt be paying what we are, but i am not arguing with my wife over that. You are more than welcome to if you like gramps.

My actual computer is broken and needs repair, this is a hand-me-down mini laptop we are using.

But no you totally have my situation understood. stop talking out of your ass.

I'm sorry but I don't think I have you wrong. I remember before gears came out we had a debate about you doing whatever it took to get it because you had to have it. Despite being in the situation your in.

I'm not saying your a bad person I'm just not cool with people like you bitching about what the rich do with their money while you blow yours on frivolous crap while you accept financial help. It's hypocritical.

Laptops
Ipods
Iphones
Playstations
Dvd/bluray players
Stereos

You are also confusing monthly expenditures with personal wealth. Yes poor people have personal wealth too. It comes from a lifetime of purchases. Some things may have been gifts, some may have been bought when times were good, some bought used.

The things you are bitching about may be worth $800 in a pawn shop. That's it. And you want to take it away because the poor don't suffer enough to suit you

Laptops
Ipods
Iphones
Playstations
Dvd/bluray players
Stereos

You are also confusing monthly expenditures with personal wealth. Yes poor people have personal wealth too. It comes from a lifetime of purchases. Some things may have been gifts, some may have been bought when times were good, some bought used.

The things you are bitching about may be worth $800 in a pawn shop. That's it. And you want to take it away because the poor don't suffer enough to suit you

I guess that he doesn't know that 2nd hand stores exist, nor that people get gifts for things like birthdays and Christmas. The toys are a 1 time expenditure, and many people (myself included) use layaway to get some things.

Know what good thing that the rich will NEVER experience? The thrill of making the final payment, and knowing that thing is yours.

yes i am for this country. I know you want to compare it to other nations.
I made just about 10 k this year because construction was slow....And a few other reasons.....

So i am classified as the working poor right now. Its not always going to be like this for my family, and i will donate back what i needed now.....

I have manners and honor, unlike some people.

You can respect that or not, your choice, but i am in the poor class.

That is pretty bad. Why do you continue the video games then? That is a very expensive hobby.

are you serious? I played GOW2 for 3 years waiting on GOW3. Only other games i played where Assassin's creed which cost me 20 each because i waited,Gran turismo because its awesomesauce, and the batman game for 15.

So yeah 110 bucks over 3 years....Really broke my wallet gramps.

liar, shall I go online and post your gamerscore and list of games? 3 games in 3 years my ass.

Yeah, Plasma.........if you are gonna be poor.....you have to deprive yourself of all pleasures and conveniences. Didn't you read the manual?

So you have no problem paying for his foodstamps or electric bill so he can buy the newest toy fad?

Fuck, pay some of my bills would ya.

Forum List

Back