so many of you talk about the poor and underpriveledged

excuse me but that shit cost a helluv a lot more than a hundred bucks.

Cable/internet............120
Xbox.............................300
Each game....................60
Computer.....................800
TV..................................300+

Then what about all the other types of unnecessary products.....

Laptops
Ipods
Iphones
Playstations
Dvd/bluray players
Stereos
Fancy wheels on your cars

My point is all that crap adds up to a large amount of money and how can one claim to be poor and want more help when their poor financial planning is so obvious?

I got to pay for someone to get food stamps so they can afford the latest and greatest game? Fuck that

You are also confusing monthly expenditures with personal wealth. Yes poor people have personal wealth too. It comes from a lifetime of purchases. Some things may have been gifts, some may have been bought when times were good, some bought used.

The things you are bitching about may be worth $800 in a pawn shop. That's it. And you want to take it away because the poor don't suffer enough to suit you

I guess that he doesn't know that 2nd hand stores exist, nor that people get gifts for things like birthdays and Christmas. The toys are a 1 time expenditure, and many people (myself included) use layaway to get some things.

Know what good thing that the rich will NEVER experience? The thrill of making the final payment, and knowing that thing is yours.

I guess what you fail to realize is that it doesn't matter where he buys his toys. If he is going to be eating and feeding his children with my tax dollars he should be using his money to better his own children's future not giving him his nightly online gaming fix.

For fucks sake are any of you responsible parents?

But you seemingly have no perspective on what it means to truly be poor. Or why someone is in that situation.

The terms are thrown around on USMB anytime it serves your personal agenda or ideology without giving any thought to what constitutes their personal circumstances. I've told my story a couple times so I won't go into it again but sufficed to say most of you are clueless.

Most of the time a mere lack of priorities leads a family down the wrong path. How many times have you stopped to help a homeless person to offer help only to have it denied? I have many times. On occasion I've offered to work someone with a "will work for food" sign only to have them put out their cigarette (which cost money) and tell me they really only had time for cash gifts.

Then you have families that can barely afford to put food on the table yet they have cable and xboxes. My brother is one of those people. He is right now as we speak sleeping in my basement despite being told to find a job by this Monday or get out.

I am tired of people always saying we have to do more for the poor when a large portion of them won't even help themselves. I lifted myself from poverty so why do I have to do for others what they can do for themselves? I'm not saying we shouldn't have a safety net but I am saying the able but unwilling can fall through our safety net for all I care.

I guess your point is there is a wide range of reasons why some people do not do as well as others. The right wing loves to place the blame on the welfare queen scamming the system or those who are too lazy to work.

Any way you cut it, this is a piss poor economy. People who formerly had good jobs with good pay and benefits find themselves without work and ask "What did I do wrong?". I get tired of people calling our bottom 50% lazy and stupid. American workers are the hardest working and most productive in the world.

Truth be told, the people responsible for their struggles are still doing well. They made bad investments, they took wild risks, they were the first in line for bailouts. The financial collapse they created is hurting millions of workers. It is time we stop blaming the victims

So our poor didn't exist before the 08 collapse?

Partisan much?
in a vibrant economy, there are fewer poor people. when factories shut down, businesses move to Asia or Latin America taking the jobs with them, there are many many more poor people. Not a partisan view, but a realist view.

You are also confusing monthly expenditures with personal wealth. Yes poor people have personal wealth too. It comes from a lifetime of purchases. Some things may have been gifts, some may have been bought when times were good, some bought used.

The things you are bitching about may be worth $800 in a pawn shop. That's it. And you want to take it away because the poor don't suffer enough to suit you

I guess that he doesn't know that 2nd hand stores exist, nor that people get gifts for things like birthdays and Christmas. The toys are a 1 time expenditure, and many people (myself included) use layaway to get some things.

Know what good thing that the rich will NEVER experience? The thrill of making the final payment, and knowing that thing is yours.

I guess what you fail to realize is that it doesn't matter where he buys his toys. If he is going to be eating and feeding his children with my tax dollars he should be using his money to better his own children's future not giving him his nightly online gaming fix.

Are you arguing there is no working poor, or just plasma isnt?

Awful parenting skills being displayed in this thread.

Don't worry tommy we can afford that video game because we don't have to pay for our own food or bills. Someone else will pay so we can play.

PATHETIC.

Thanks for demonstrating why we can't have conservatives run this great country. While they bitch about poor children having a stinking video game, they are willing to shut down the country to preserve tax breaks for billionaires

But you seemingly have no perspective on what it means to truly be poor. Or why someone is in that situation.

The terms are thrown around on USMB anytime it serves your personal agenda or ideology without giving any thought to what constitutes their personal circumstances. I've told my story a couple times so I won't go into it again but sufficed to say most of you are clueless.

Most of the time a mere lack of priorities leads a family down the wrong path. How many times have you stopped to help a homeless person to offer help only to have it denied? I have many times. On occasion I've offered to work someone with a "will work for food" sign only to have them put out their cigarette (which cost money) and tell me they really only had time for cash gifts.

Then you have families that can barely afford to put food on the table yet they have cable and xboxes. My brother is one of those people. He is right now as we speak sleeping in my basement despite being told to find a job by this Monday or get out.

I am tired of people always saying we have to do more for the poor when a large portion of them won't even help themselves. I lifted myself from poverty so why do I have to do for others what they can do for themselves? I'm not saying we shouldn't have a safety net but I am saying the able but unwilling can fall through our safety net for all I care.

It's not so much that they refuse charity, they just refuse your brand of it.

Charity isn't really charity if you place conditions on it. Then? It's just one person using their money to gain power over another.

Holding a sign saying will work for food and then me offering that deal is not dictating terms. I don't give cash to non organized charities because it only enables bad behavior and poor priorities.

I love how the left has taken it upon itself to redefine "charity" as "no-strings-attached cash gifts". What I don't understand is where they got the idea that they are in charge of defining words and setting parameters of discussion.

Are you arguing there is no working poor, or just plasma isnt?

I'm arguing that people like plasma are hypocrites.

He gets help from our taxes then bitches that we don't help the poor enough. All the while playing the latest hit on xbox live.

Just for the sake of argument, Gramps, what should the entertainment budget be for a family of 4 whose parents work but earn an income that still qualifies for public assistance?

Thanks for demonstrating why we can't have conservatives run this great country. While they bitch about poor children having a stinking video game, they are willing to shut down the country to preserve tax breaks for billionaires

FAIL

PLASMA IS NOT A CHILD and the toys are for him not his children.

Your a fucking sucker. Please pay my way too fool

Holding a sign saying will work for food and then me offering that deal is not dictating terms. I don't give cash to non organized charities because it only enables bad behavior and poor priorities.

If they have an actual sign that states they are willing to work for food, then yeah.......if they refuse to work for a meal and are looking for cash only, they blew the deal.

However.......if a person has a sign that says "please help" and I'm in a position to do so, I will give 'em a buck or two, no questions asked. But if you offer to buy them a sandwich in return for raking your leaves, it's up to them if they choose to accept your form of help.

Me? I look at things like that (because I don't often see them) as good karma tests for me, and I always try to choose to be helpful. But I have to know that they need help.

Makes sense.

But here in KC, from downtown to the plaza and beyond is full of street beggers. It gets tiresome. Our on ramps have a lot of beggers also. Usually the signs say something terrible about how hungry they or their families are. I never offer cash but either work for pay or a trip to a store or fast food restaurant and its usually declined. Most of them must be scamming for cash cause refusing food while smoking Marlboros doesn't seem to hungry to me.

There used to be a guy who held a sign begging for money on the traffic island near my church (this was before Tucson passed a law that no one is allowed to be on the traffic islands in the city limits). My pastor went out and offered him a meal and a little cash if he'd come back to the church and do some chores in exchange for it. The guy said, "Why should I work? I can make a couple hundred a day just sitting here."

My feeling has always been that if you can stand out in Tucson's heat all day long to panhandle, you can certainly get a frigging job. I ignore them entirely.

FAIL

Not to interfere with this............. disagreement. How would you know so much about his personal life? Construction is way off, you know that. So he plays some games.. Big whoop.

What exactly is the information I am missing?

I tell you what plasma. You have my apologies. I should have never made this thread personal about a fellow poster. I was wrong for doing that but I still stand behind my opinions.

If they have an actual sign that states they are willing to work for food, then yeah.......if they refuse to work for a meal and are looking for cash only, they blew the deal.

However.......if a person has a sign that says "please help" and I'm in a position to do so, I will give 'em a buck or two, no questions asked. But if you offer to buy them a sandwich in return for raking your leaves, it's up to them if they choose to accept your form of help.

Me? I look at things like that (because I don't often see them) as good karma tests for me, and I always try to choose to be helpful. But I have to know that they need help.

Makes sense.

But here in KC, from downtown to the plaza and beyond is full of street beggers. It gets tiresome. Our on ramps have a lot of beggers also. Usually the signs say something terrible about how hungry they or their families are. I never offer cash but either work for pay or a trip to a store or fast food restaurant and its usually declined. Most of them must be scamming for cash cause refusing food while smoking Marlboros doesn't seem to hungry to me.

There used to be a guy who held a sign begging for money on the traffic island near my church (this was before Tucson passed a law that no one is allowed to be on the traffic islands in the city limits). My pastor went out and offered him a meal and a little cash if he'd come back to the church and do some chores in exchange for it. The guy said, "Why should I work? I can make a couple hundred a day just sitting here."

My feeling has always been that if you can stand out in Tucson's heat all day long to panhandle, you can certainly get a frigging job. I ignore them entirely.

I call bullshit on the bum/pastor story. That one is on every final exam at nutter stereotype school.

I would say that technology is one of the things you do need to give your kids. I'd put myself in the working poor category with a 24k annual and 3 dependents. We save where we can, shop off-brand, cook from scratch and grow our own, keep the sewing machine busy. But my 10 yr old son saved all his straight A money, birthday money, Christmas money for 2 years to get the X-Box Rock Band with everything. Was I supposed to take his money to pay the electric when they send the shut-off? I don't currently get any kind of taxpayer help other than EIC, but I certainly don't begrudge those that do from having a few electronic tchotchkes. There is a reason the terms used most often with poverty are "grinding" and "grueling". No matter how much a pain in the ass working is, there is nothing more blissful than knowing how you are going to pay your bills.

Interesting............did you know that in 1985 and 1986 an E-5 or below in the US Military would qualify for WIC? I took the help while on active duty (I was an E-4 at the time) because WIC provides free formula and fresh veggies and fruit for the mother. Probably one of the best programs I've ever seen.

And yeah.........during that time I still bought a television and VCR, as well as had cable (internet wasn't available yet for where I lived).

Last edited:

FAIL

Not to interfere with this............. disagreement. How would you know so much about his personal life? Construction is way off, you know that. So he plays some games.. Big whoop.

personal posting history between him and I.

I should have never brought him up. I'm aware (somewhat) of the assistance that he receives and what he does for entertainment. It got blown way out of proportion in my attempt to prove my point and that was my mistake not his. I have apologized and this will be the last I speak of his personal life. If he wants his life shared its on him to do it not me.

Just for the sake of argument, Gramps, what should the entertainment budget be for a family of 4 whose parents work but earn an income that still qualifies for public assistance?

Tent - $40 and it lasts for years.
Free - Hiking the Sierra Nevada's, the Rockies or Blue Ridge Parkway.
Free - Swimming at a coastal beach or inland lake.

FAIL

personal posting history between him and I.

I should have never brought him up. I'm aware (somewhat) of the assistance that he receives and what he does for entertainment. It got blown way out of proportion in my attempt to prove my point and that was my mistake not his. I have apologized and this will be the last I speak of his personal life. If he wants his life shared its on him to do it not me.

Its cool. I just know so many people affected by the loss of construction.............................

You forgot trail mix, snacks, water, gas for the vehicle to get there and back, as well as the cost of the clothes and specialty gear required for such activity.

Holy shit. What a poor attempt at making a point.

Forum List

Back