Silent Bob too Fat for Plane

That's terribly humiliating. There has to be a better way to do this like maybe making some larger seats for obese people and selling the tickets for a little more but not twice.

Highway robbery and disgusting treatment of their customers.

Have you ever sat next to a really fat person on a 5 hour flight? They take up half your seat and you are forced to sit all scrunched up.

Oh ya putting them in fat seats is much kinder. :doubt:

If your body encroaches into the seat next to you, you're too fat for one seat. Buy two tickets (which this guy usually did). If you're on standby and there is only one seat open, decline . . . cause you're too fat to stay inside your own space.

And just so you know, this thread wasn't meant for some folks to come on to make fun of "fat people"-it was to show how stupid the airlines were for doing that. They were in the wrong imo.

That's terribly humiliating. There has to be a better way to do this like maybe making some larger seats for obese people and selling the tickets for a little more but not twice.

Have you ever sat next to a really fat person on a 5 hour flight? They take up half your seat and you are forced to sit all scrunched up.

Not everyone is the same size. Whats wrong with the idea of making some seats bigger than others and selling them for a little more? Leg room is a big problems for some people who are tall, why not give them more leg room for a slightly larger fee? I'm both tall and chubby. I fit in the seat, but I scrunch up next to the window to try and make it easier on the person next to me, who is usually my husband. I was on one flight when the person in front of me put his seat back without telling me and hit my knee caps. It hurt like hell. I had to sit the rest of the flight with my legs to the sides of his seat. My brother says I should have screamed bloody murder and made them carry me off the plane, then maybe they'd give us more legroom.

The seats on many planes are too small. My husband and sons are well over 6ft so we try to get the exit row. The seats are not designed for anyone who is larger than average; let alone obese. But I'm curious why Kevin Smith flies coach. If I had his money I'd buy my own plane.

The airlines are so careful not to "offend" certain suspicious characters, but offending a fat guy is a-ok. Too bad he wasn't carrying a Koran. Could've made a zillion.

Not everyone is the same size. Whats wrong with the idea of making some seats bigger than others and selling them for a little more? Leg room is a big problems for some people who are tall, why not give them more leg room for a slightly larger fee? I'm both tall and chubby. I fit in the seat, but I scrunch up next to the window to try and make it easier on the person next to me, who is usually my husband. I was on one flight when the person in front of me put his seat back without telling me and hit my knee caps. It hurt like hell. I had to sit the rest of the flight with my legs to the sides of his seat. My brother says I should have screamed bloody murder and made them carry me off the plane, then maybe they'd give us more legroom.
Already have those, they're up in Business Class and First Class and "little" is relative. If you don't like flying in coach you have several options, buy a business/first class ticket, get on a frequent flyer program and use upgrades, buy multiple adjoining coach seats for yourself, use charters or don't fly.

Airlines are in the business to make a profit (I know over the last several years it's really hard to tell but trust me they are), obviously their business model doesn't support "have it your way seating" (beyond travel classes) since they have to cover the costs of operating their aircraft and to do so they need to generate sufficient revenue per seat as well as filling enough seats on each flight. Expecting the airlines to re-engineer the cabins on all of their aircraft (and eating the costs to do so) just to accommodate the minority of people that cannot fit into the existing seats is highly impractical.

The seats on many planes are too small. My husband and sons are well over 6ft so we try to get the exit row. The seats are not designed for anyone who is larger than average; let alone obese. But I'm curious why Kevin Smith flies coach. If I had his money I'd buy my own plane.

The airlines are so careful not to "offend" certain suspicious characters, but offending a fat guy is a-ok. Too bad he wasn't carrying a Koran. Could've made a zillion.

Southwest Airlines only has "coach".

Already have those, they're up in Business Class and First Class and "little" is relative. If you don't like flying in coach you have several options, buy a business/first class ticket, get on a frequent flyer program and use upgrades, buy multiple adjoining coach seats for yourself, use charters or don't fly.

Airlines are in the business to make a profit (I know over the last several years it's really hard to tell but trust me they are), obviously their business model doesn't support "have it your way seating" (beyond travel classes) since they have to cover the costs of operating their aircraft and to do so they need to generate sufficient revenue per seat as well as filling enough seats on each flight. Expecting the airlines to re-engineer the cabins on all of their aircraft (and eating the costs to do so) just to accommodate the minority of people that cannot fit into the existing seats is highly impractical.

As the years have gone buy, leg room has gotten smaller and people have gotten bigger. When working for Untied, I advised passengers to contact their representatives because at this point, the only way the airlines will make more legroom is if there is a law. There is too much competition. Customer service has decreased and number of passengers per plane has increased. Cost has decreased as well. Southwest is good in that if you buy that extra seat and the plane isn't full, they will refund your money. Other airlines don't offer that same policy.

Have you ever priced business or first class? We're not talking twice or even three times as much, we're talking ten times as much.

I flew first class to Japan, but only because I worked for the airline and went standby. It was the best experience of my life and I really wish my job would come back from India so I could take more trips like that.

Bob knows he is too fat, he said he usually has to buy two seats. They didn't have two available on this flight. In reality Bob, they didn't want you on the flight because your too ugly. They just didn't want to hurt your feelings. Happy now?

As the years have gone buy, leg room has gotten smaller and people have gotten bigger. When working for Untied, I advised passengers to contact their representatives because at this point, the only way the airlines will make more legroom is if there is a law. There is too much competition. Customer service has decreased and number of passengers per plane has increased. Cost has decreased as well. Southwest is good in that if you buy that extra seat and the plane isn't full, they will refund your money. Other airlines don't offer that same policy.
How do you figure "cost has decreased" unless you're talking about the cost to consumers, the operating costs for airlines have been increasing dramatically for years due primarily to fuel and labor.

Have you ever priced business or first class? We're not talking twice or even three times as much, we're talking ten times as much.
Nope since I always get upgrades when I fly or spend miles for business/first, but in any case if it's worth it to you to pay 10x as much for business/first then you'll pay it, otherwise you're making a conscious decision to fly coach because the convenience of flying in business/first isn't worth the extra money, that's how free exchange works, mutually agreed upon terms and all.

I flew first class to Japan, but only because I worked for the airline and went standby. It was the best experience of my life and I really wish my job would come back from India so I could take more trips like that.
Frequent flyer programs are the best route to get that IMHO.

How do you figure "cost has decreased" unless you're talking about the cost to consumers, the operating costs for airlines have been increasing dramatically for years due primarily to fuel and labor.

Nope since I always get upgrades when I fly or spend miles for business/first, but in any case if it's worth it to you to pay 10x as much for business/first then you'll pay it, otherwise you're making a conscious decision to fly coach because the convenience of flying in business/first isn't worth the extra money, that's how free exchange works, mutually agreed upon terms and all.

Nobody in first class ever pays for their seats anymore, well, very few people anyway, most buy coach or business and upgrade. And yes, I was talking about cost to consumers.

BTW, the point was you feel that fat people should have to buy seats in first class or business class, not that it's "convenient". Why should fat people pay ten times the amount it costs for other people to fly?

Maybe Kevin sat on him...

They are like the Modern Abbott and Costello...

image003.jpg

Just with More Deadly Sins and LOTS of Heroin!

:)

peace...

Simple solution. Seats are made for people of reasonable size. If you're above a certain weight or size (waist line, etc.) you have to buy yourself an extra seat.
It's unfortunate that people get that obese. But average size people shouldn't have to lose their paid for seat space and be generally grossed out because someone else is spilling over.

Nobody in first class ever pays for their seats anymore, well, very few people anyway, most buy coach or business and upgrade. And yes, I was talking about cost to consumers.
Agreed on those points.....

BTW, the point was you feel that fat people should have to buy seats in first class or business class, not that it's "convenient". Why should fat people pay ten times the amount it costs for other people to fly?
They don't have to pay ten times the amount, they have to pay for sufficient seating to accommodate their own bulk (they can choose business/first if they want to pay for it that way), so for example a person might be asked to pay for two coach seats because they cannot fit into one which is only fair, why should the airlines be forced to subsidize someones obesity? not to mention other customers on the flight having to be excessively inconvenienced to accommodate someone that is too large to fit into a single seat and thus "overflowing" onto the one(s) that they've paid for.

Simple solution. Seats are made for people of reasonable size. If you're above a certain weight or size (waist line, etc.) you have to buy yourself an extra seat.
It's unfortunate that people get that obese. But average size people shouldn't have to lose their paid for seat space and be generally grossed out because someone else is spilling over.

The average seat is what, 14 inches across? Do you really think the average person can sit in that seat comfortably? At least the average American? Plus, where are all those one armed people, since the average seat has one arm rest for two people.

The average seat is what, 14 inches across? Do you really think the average person can sit in that seat comfortably? At least the average American? Plus, where are all those one armed people, since the average seat has one arm rest for two people.

No which is even more reasons fatty's need to buy an extra ticket over a certain girth.
I'm not heartless....if I'm running the airline I'd be happy to offer a discount on seat #2.

Or they could offer an obese section as well. That'd be solution #2.

The average seat is what, 14 inches across? Do you really think the average person can sit in that seat comfortably? At least the average American?
Millions of "average" Americans do it every week, maybe not as "comfortably" as they'd like but they're not exactly traveling under 17th century slave ship conditions either.

Plus, where are all those one armed people, since the average seat has one arm rest for two people.
You have a point, the seat design on some aircraft could be better (737 for example), redesigning and then retrofitting costs money and the airlines aren't exactly rolling in dough these days.

Last edited:

No which is even more reasons fatty's need to buy an extra ticket over a certain girth.
I'm not heartless....if I'm running the airline I'd be happy to offer a discount on seat #2.

Or they could offer an obese section as well. That'd be solution #2.

Yes, that was one of the solutions I was suggesting... a bigger seat for a slight higher price. Two seats doesn't make sense and isn't comfortable anyway.

You know, there is a commercial where it shows people being cookie stamped into clones of each other, and then, the dude and chick who are supposed to be made blonde and aryan?

They run, and get away, because they want to be themselves. It's a commercial for underwear.

Know who else wanted everyone to be the same size and fitness level, with serious consequences in social status if you didn't meet them, with outrageous rewards for those lucky enough to win the genetic lottery?

Hitler.

By the way, for all you idiots that think everyone should shape up, you ought to know something.........

It's not always that easy. Sometimes it's genetic, or hormonal, or just plain ignorance of knowing what is good and not good to eat. Trust me..........I was a Physical Fitness Coordinator for the Navy for 8 years.

Something else to think about...........one of the better Old Masters of Art was a dude named Rubens. Know what he painted?

Naked fat chicks dancing and laying around. I like his work.

What am I? a 5'7" 140 lb skinny little white boy who at 45, STILL has a 29 inch waist, and can haul ass on a bicycle.

If he bought 2 tickets (thereby paying the airline their required cash), they should have let him fly. The weather and the backed up and missed flights are not his fault. It was the weather, and, since he's a Hollywood type who has a lot of projects going, he's kinda got to fly to do his job.

Personally? I hope Southwest Airlines gets raked over the coals yet again. This isn't their first rodeo (remember the chick who was thrown off because of her skirt, or the guy that had an offensive t-shirt?).

They used to be a decent airline, shit......flew with 'em once or twice, but now?

No fucking way would I support them. Wouldn't support Continental either.

Forum List

Back