Votes: 11 22.0%
  • I used to be

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • I never have

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters
I have lost one family member due to smoking related illness and I am close to losing another. I have seen what smoking does to a person, and even before seeing the effects, I vowed never to smoke, and I never have.

Good on ya, Noomi!

It's sad how easily a person can get hooked while still a child - I started in high school - and suffer for decades from that decision to 'try' smoking.

The patches hadn't come out yet when I quit some 27 years ago. The gum probably saved someone's life, and no I don't mean mine!

I have lost one family member due to smoking related illness and I am close to losing another. I have seen what smoking does to a person, and even before seeing the effects, I vowed never to smoke, and I never have.

My Papa smoked, chewed and dipped until he died at 96. He claims that there was no cancer until they made it up to make money off of you.

I am right there with you. (hug)

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

I've seen all the poor children that have benefited from SCHIP, paid for by smokers from tax on tobacco.
Your one family member vs the 10's of thousands of poor children. Can you say selfish?
Alternatively, the government could outlaw smoking and make you help pay for the medical insurance of poor children instead of just making smokers pay for it.
Do you have the intestinal fortitude to petition your congressperson to do that?

My Papa smoked, chewed and dipped until he died at 96. He claims that there was no cancer until they made it up to make money off of you.

Many people believe that smoking doesn't cause cancer, but I think there have been enough studies done to show that they do.

My grandpop had quit smoking for ten years before he was diagnosed with lung cancer. As a child, I remember seeing him with a cigarette, or a pipe, He used to do magic tricks with the cigarettes, which always fascinated me. He'd tuck one cigarette into his closed fist, wave his other hand over it, then open his hand and the cigarette was gone. I could never figure out how he did it!

When he was diagnosed, he was given 12 months to live. He was dead in just over 5 months. In his final 24 hours, his cancer had doubled within his body. It was so rampant, it took over his body like a plague.
During his treatment, he spent time here with my family. Just walking to the bathroom would leave him exhausted. He suffered greatly.
In his last few weeks, fluid was being drained from his lungs, and eventually, the fluid built up faster than it could be drained, and it was at that point when all we could do was wait for the end. My pop suffered until his last breath, yet the people who watched him die still continue to smoke.

My uncle had his second lung transplant a week ago, and is still very ill. He only has a few years left if he is lucky.

In an ideal world, no one would smoke. Its a terrible habit and I wish people would just quit - they'd be much healthier and happier for it.

If they could - lord knows, they try to quit often enough.

Now it's to the point where people can't even afford to smoke, and they still do. Nicotine is hellishly addictive. :(

Indeed! I can't imagine what it'd do to a budget now. I used to smoke over a pack a day, closer to 2 on some days... Even buying 'em by the carton at the BX, it was expensive. The husband used to joke that we might run out of milk, but not ciggies. He didn't smoke, but he did have sinus problems (partly caused by a cyst in one of 'em) and suffered from my smoking - but of course I just couldn't believe it until after I quit.

My pop suffered until his last breath, yet the people who watched him die still continue to smoke.
That is how it is with my family. I was at a family cook out for the 4th of July and five of who were there all had cigarettes in their hands, not to mention bottles and cans of beer and just a month or so ago, we lost a cousin due to cancer and then four days before Thanksgiving last fall, we lost another cousin due to cancer and yet those in my family who are still here that smoke, they continue to light up and puff on their pride and joy joy joys like there isn't anything to it. One of my cousins who was at the cookout may have driven home under the influence and the person who had the cookout, another one of my cousins that is, retired from being a police captain last fall. :( :( :(

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. What is worse is that them two cousins that we lost are just the two most recent family members that have succumbed to cancer. How many all together have gone in such a way? Too many to count. :( :( :(

Last edited:
Indeed! I can't imagine what it'd do to a budget now. I used to smoke over a pack a day, closer to 2 on some days... Even buying 'em by the carton at the BX, it was expensive. The husband used to joke that we might run out of milk, but not ciggies. He didn't smoke, but he did have sinus problems (partly caused by a cyst in one of 'em) and suffered from my smoking - but of course I just couldn't believe it until after I quit.

In my old unit, I used to live next door to a woman who smoked, and gambled. She was on the pension because she had a mental illness (Bipolar) and couldn't work. She told me once that she'd been to the doctor and she had cancer in her throat, but she insisted the doctor said it wasn't caused by smoking. She sees the same doctor I do and there is no way he would have told her that.

Anyway, she always used to run out of pension money and ask me if she could 'borrow' some. I used to give her a couple of dollars here and there, until I figured out what she was using the money on. Then I refused to give her anymore.
She turned up on my doorstep one day asking for $100 for a machine that rolled tobacco cigarettes (without the nicotine) and got rather angry when I flatly refused.

I moved out around six weeks ago and I feel sorry for the new tenant in that apartment, having to suffer Sheryl's constant demands for smoking money.

I watched my grandfather waste away from lung cancer, and I do mean watched. It was back in the day when people put a hospital bed in the living room and the person just died a little each day. I was 11 and swore I would never smoke. My grandfather didn't smoke until he went to war in Korea. They put Camel Unfiltereds in his C-rations and that's what he smoked until the day he died.

I did 20 years in the US Navy without ever smoking a cigarette or drinking a cup of coffee. Anyone who has been in the Navy knows how rare that is.

I've been smoking since I was 12-13 (one two a day) 15 (one every few hours) 17+ (pack a day)....

I remember being a kid stealing smokes or buying them from vending machines for $2.00 a pack.... :lol:

Back in the days haha.....

Forum List

Back