Silent Bob too Fat for Plane

The average seat is what, 14 inches across? Do you really think the average person can sit in that seat comfortably? At least the average American? Plus, where are all those one armed people, since the average seat has one arm rest for two people.

No which is even more reasons fatty's need to buy an extra ticket over a certain girth.
I'm not heartless....if I'm running the airline I'd be happy to offer a discount on seat #2.

Or they could offer an obese section as well. That'd be solution #2.

Yes, that was one of the solutions I was suggesting... a bigger seat for a slight higher price. Two seats doesn't make sense and isn't comfortable anyway.

The problem that we're talking about however occured on a discount carrier (SW).
There's a reason why the discount carriers are successful and the others are not.
You can get first class, business class, more leg room, etc. on United or American. They're also losing their shirts.

he was able to put both seat arms down....which is supposedly the standard used to decide...

smith is simply a good sized man...nothing wrong with that....i dont like me skinny men....only a dog wants a bone

As the years have gone buy, leg room has gotten smaller and people have gotten bigger. When working for Untied, I advised passengers to contact their representatives because at this point, the only way the airlines will make more legroom is if there is a law. There is too much competition. Customer service has decreased and number of passengers per plane has increased. Cost has decreased as well. Southwest is good in that if you buy that extra seat and the plane isn't full, they will refund your money. Other airlines don't offer that same policy.
How do you figure "cost has decreased" unless you're talking about the cost to consumers, the operating costs for airlines have been increasing dramatically for years due primarily to fuel and labor.

Nope since I always get upgrades when I fly or spend miles for business/first, but in any case if it's worth it to you to pay 10x as much for business/first then you'll pay it, otherwise you're making a conscious decision to fly coach because the convenience of flying in business/first isn't worth the extra money, that's how free exchange works, mutually agreed upon terms and all.

I flew first class to Japan, but only because I worked for the airline and went standby. It was the best experience of my life and I really wish my job would come back from India so I could take more trips like that.
Frequent flyer programs are the best route to get that IMHO.

Nobody in first class ever pays for their seats anymore, well, very few people anyway, most buy coach or business and upgrade. And yes, I was talking about cost to consumers.

BTW, the point was you feel that fat people should have to buy seats in first class or business class, not that it's "convenient". Why should fat people pay ten times the amount it costs for other people to fly?

Ten time as much? I need to check that.

I just checked with Delta. Coach class to Atlanta form Lexington KY was $495.
First/Business was $932.
Same dates, etc just class fare change.

And just so you know, this thread wasn't meant for some folks to come on to make fun of "fat people"-it was to show how stupid the airlines were for doing that. They were in the wrong imo.

What should they have done?

Let his flab encroach on the other passenger's seats, that they paid full price for?

Is that really fair to them?

btw: I heard that Smith said he didn't care so much about getting tossed from the flight, he just wished they'd told him before he finally got himself shoe-horned into his seat.

I usually fly on this airline:

asset_medium.jpg

hooters air didnt last long...the story i love....golfers flying to myrtle beach.....hit rough air...the hooter girl started screaming ...they had to calm the girl down.....sad just plain sad

I just checked with Delta. Coach class to Atlanta form Lexington KY was $495.
First/Business was $932.
Same dates, etc just class fare change.

Check United, to Japan first class vs coach.

Oh, and don't include Q fares. Q are discount first class tickets which are extremely rare. It used to annoy me that a business man would always call in to find those fairs, it sometimes took me as much as an hour, then he'd say "thank you", hang up and have his office book the flights. I lost all that time and all the credit for selling the tickets. I consider that RUDE, but then again, he made lots of money and couldn't care less about us "little" people.

I could go first class from Seattle to Las Vegas for around $700, but I can go coach for around $200. Okay, 3 and 1/2 times. Still it depends on how far you are going, the longer the flight the bigger the disparity in costs.

It's not always that easy. Sometimes it's genetic, or hormonal, or just plain ignorance of knowing what is good and not good to eat. Trust me..........I was a Physical Fitness Coordinator for the Navy for 8 yearsr

I disagree with you in the main on this one. I think hormones and genetic disposition do play a part - in very very minor cases. The vast majority of people are overweight or obese because they don't exercise and eat crap food....

It's not always that easy. Sometimes it's genetic, or hormonal, or just plain ignorance of knowing what is good and not good to eat. Trust me..........I was a Physical Fitness Coordinator for the Navy for 8 yearsr

I disagree with you in the main on this one. I think hormones and genetic disposition do play a part - in very very minor cases. The vast majority of people are overweight or obese because they don't exercise and eat crap food....

You'd be surprised. Not many people think very much about what they eat and whether or not (at least, not from 1994 - 2002) there were trans fats, or empty calories in something.

Now? We're finding out that high fructose corn syrup as well as many other things (that we've put into our food over the years to make it cheaper to buy and boost the bottom line) aren't good for us and will put on weight.

Incidentally, there are MANY people that think a breakfast of pancakes, bacon and eggs is bad for you still. It's not by the way, not if taken in moderation and instead of 6 times/wk, you only have it 3.

Lots of others don't know the simple secret to keeping thin.........Eat like a king in the morning, a prince at noon and a poor man at night. Why? Anything you eat within 1 1/2 hours of bed will go straight to storage.

No........there are lots of people who are ignorant of good eating habits.

They also miss that you need to exercise for at least 45 minutes/session in order to get any effect. By the way, if you stop exercising after 45 minutes, your metabolism will stay elevated for the next 1 1/2 hours.

You'd be surprised. Not many people think very much about what they eat and whether or not (at least, not from 1994 - 2002) there were trans fats, or empty calories in something.

Now? We're finding out that high fructose corn syrup as well as many other things (that we've put into our food over the years to make it cheaper to buy and boost the bottom line) aren't good for us and will put on weight.

Incidentally, there are MANY people that think a breakfast of pancakes, bacon and eggs is bad for you still. It's not by the way, not if taken in moderation and instead of 6 times/wk, you only have it 3.

Lots of others don't know the simple secret to keeping thin.........Eat like a king in the morning, a prince at noon and a poor man at night. Why? Anything you eat within 1 1/2 hours of bed will go straight to storage.

No........there are lots of people who are ignorant of good eating habits.

Someone told me that Yanks invented muffins and pancakes to give them an excuse to eat cake in the morning...;o)

America has a huge obesity problem (as does Australia), but you are right about the times you should eat. I think having bacon and eggs and pancakes is a once a week thing (I have them once in a blue moon - I'm a cereal/yoghurt person in the morning)...

Fast food has a lot to answer for...

Well......part of the obesity problem here in America is due to dual career parents letting the television and video games do their babysitting for them.

But.......to be fair.......you gotta hand it to Wii for their new games that encourage movement.

Also good for the old folks.

Well......part of the obesity problem here in America is due to dual career parents letting the television and video games do their babysitting for them.

But.......to be fair.......you gotta hand it to Wii for their new games that encourage movement.

Also good for the old folks.

Both my kids are gaming nuts and are on the computer and Xbox every chance they get, however the eldest plays football (soccer), basketball, swimming, cricket, cubs and loves fishing.

The youngest does the same (except cubs, not old enough)...

Forum List

Back