Should the gop be willing to shut down nonessential govt functions to stop obamacare?

Should the GOP stand their ground and defund O'care despite any possible ramification

• Total voters
I'm rooting for the Repubs forcing a prolonged government shutdown. Knock 8 or 9% off the the GDP growth rate, send unemployment back over 10%, precipitate a major financial meltdown that will destroy the top 30 banks, and hopefully trigger a worldwide depression that will make the early 30's the "Good Ol' days". Chalk it up to being tired of the conservative retards. They want to tank the economy, let them do it in a way where they take full political responsibility. When the smoke clears, they won't be able to elect a dogcatcher for the next half century.

I'm rooting for the Repubs forcing a prolonged government shutdown. Knock 8 or 9% off the the GDP growth rate, send unemployment back over 10%, precipitate a major financial meltdown that will destroy the top 30 banks, and hopefully trigger a worldwide depression that will make the early 30's the "Good Ol' days". Chalk it up to being tired of the conservative retards. They want to tank the economy, let them do it in a way where they take full political responsibility. When the smoke clears, they won't be able to elect a dogcatcher for the next half century.

Well, that'd be interesting considering we don't have anywhere near 8% - 9% GDP and the unemployment rate is already 10%+...

And please tell us how reprobate deficit spending reduces unemployment and drives GDP? Perhaps you could work it into the current 2% GDP and 10%+ unemployment as an example?

:lol:

Last edited:
Let's start with Defining "nonessential govt functions".
Then we can go from there. I say Foriegn Aid would be classified as "nonessential" others may disagree.

I really doubt multi-nationals will allow the gop to do this, and Boehner will pretty much be forced to bring up a stop gap that enough dems will support. It may cost him his speakership, however. Or he may be willing to let the teaparty take the heat from the Oil Companies, GE, Apple, etc.

Well, that'd be interesting considering we don't have anywhere near 8% - 9% GDP and the unemployment rate is already 10%+...

I'm clearly dealing with a low information poster here. The current growth rate is 2.4% so if you knock off 8% it would be -5.6%. Conservatives usually can't contemplate negative growth rates, even though they are about the only people who have ever caused them. The U-3 rate is currently 7.3%, but I understand your limited capacity to find that information.

And please tell us how reprobate deficit spending reduces unemployment and drives GDP? Perhaps you could work it into the current 2% GDP and 10%+ unemployment as an example?

Simple macro theory. Every country attempting austerity is going down the tubes, those trying stimulus are recovering. By definition deficits ARE fiscal stimulus. But of course, not having paid any attention to the economy for the last ninety years, you don't notice that. My point was that shutting down the government, aka de-stimulus, aka "smaller government", aka "austerity", aka "balancing the budget" if carried out for any substantial period of time would result in another depression (declining output) and rising unemployment. At the height of the 30's Depression we achieved about 24% unemployment with the aid of Secretary of Treasury Andrew Mellon's policy of reducing the public debt and of benign non-intervention in the process of "liquidation" once a depression had started. Sounds like you want to try the same remedy again.

:lol:

He didn't say we have 8-9% GDP growth. He said the Republicans would trim 8-9% off of the current rate. That's hyperbole, but it's not a claim we have 8%+ growth today.

Also not sure which country you're living in, because the current unemployment rate in the United States is 7.3%.

Simple macro theory. Every country attempting austerity is going down the tubes, those trying stimulus are recovering. By definition deficits ARE fiscal stimulus. But of course, not having paid any attention to the economy for the last ninety years, you don't notice that. My point was that shutting down the government, aka de-stimulus, aka "smaller government", aka "austerity", aka "balancing the budget" if carried out for any substantial period of time would result in another depression (declining output) and rising unemployment. At the height of the 30's Depression we achieved about 24% unemployment with the aid of Secretary of Treasury Andrew Mellon's policy of reducing the public debt and of benign non-intervention in the process of "liquidation" once a depression had started. Sounds like you want to try the same remedy again.

These are the same people who think the economy would be booming if we just went back to using gold as the medium of exchange.

Can we defund the President? How about the Senate? The less either of them do the better off we are.

Why is Obama's buddy (Warren Buffett) saying that we should scrap Obamacare?
Buffett: Scrap Obamacare and Start All Over

Healthcare costs in the United States are like a tapeworm eating at our economic body.

Those words come from famed investor Warren Buffett, who said he would scrap Obamacare and start all over.

"We have a health system that, in terms of costs, is really out of control," he added. "And if you take this line and you project what has been happening into the future, we will get less and less competitive. So we need something else."

Buffett insists that without changes to Obamacare average citizens will suffer.

"What we have now is untenable over time," said Buffett, an early supporter of President Obama. "That kind of a cost compared to the rest of the world is really like a tapeworm eating, you know, at our economic body."

Buffett does not believe that providing insurance for everyone is the first step to take in correcting our nation's healthcare system.

"Attack the costs first, and then worry about expanding coverage," he said. "I would much rather see another plan that really attacks costs. And I think that's what the American public wants to see. I mean, the American public is not behind this bill."

The Three Key Economic Issues Obama Will Tackle In His First Asia Trip - Money Morning

Should the gop be willing to shut down nonessential govt functions to stop obamacare?

First, the subject line is hooey. The GObP is not "willing" to do anything at all. What they are doing is searching for some "reason" to shut down the govt so they can pretend its Obama's fault and they don't give a damn who they harm doing it. In fact, the more people they hurt, the happier they'll be.

I'm sick of the R governing by tantrum and blackmail. Its time they voted in favor of their own constituents and their own country.

There is no issue.

Boehner and McConnell said "no" to the whingers of the far right.

Republicans are just too easy. They have already forgotten what happened the last time they shut down the government! It was, as I recall, the end of Newt and the Contract with America. Since they have already offended virtually every other minority in America, why not add federal workers as well?

The GOP needs to get their heads out of their asses and stop acting like a bunch of 3 years throwing a pissy fit because they didn't get their way (even though the individual mandate was a republican plan to begin with)

The affordable care act is the law of the land, deal with it.

so was slavery at one time. so was the prohibition of women voting.

all laws are not good laws. ACA is terrible legislation, probably the worst in our history

No, the worst in history was the constitution shredding patriot act from W and the GOP trash. Not to mention the ACA hasn't even gone into effect yet, so claiming is terrible legislation is just parroting right wing BS.

Are you referring to this Patriot Act that was extended by Congress and signed by Obama?

By a 250-153 vote, the Republican-led House agreed to extend the expiring provisions of the law passed after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. They deal with roving wiretaps, the tracking of alleged "lone wolf" terrorists and the ability of law enforcement officials to obtain any records they deem relevant to an investigation after securing an order from a federal court.

and the subsequent Senate vote on the measure to extend the Patriot Act provisions for four years passed easily on a 72-23 vote.

The GOP needs to get their heads out of their asses and stop acting like a bunch of 3 years throwing a pissy fit because they didn't get their way (even though the individual mandate was a republican plan to begin with)

The affordable care act is the law of the land, deal with it.
This "law of the land" is going to bankrupt many people and companies. That is Obama's plan. Obama is the most powerful enemy we have today.

Warren Buffet is now saying to scrap this bill. The union is against it too. Who exactly is FOR this bill?
Obama (because his goal is to bankrupt the nation) and all those that have been exempt from it.

If the Republicans don't like the law they should change it, but until they change it, it is the law of the land, and they like the rest of us should obey the law. Wasn't too long ago that the Republican party advocated a policy of law and order, but now they don't like the law so the new GOP policy is, don't obey the law. They are indeed a shifty bunch.
I remember a story about the shifty bunch. Seems Teddy Roosevelt wanted to sent the Great White Fleet around the world and other Republicans did not so they would not appropriate the oil money. Teddy sent the fleet anyway since they had enough fuel to get half way. TR said let the Congress get em back.
You are a dupe of Obama! If Obamacare is repealed, the free market will replace it with something better....almost overnight!

Let obabblecare die of its own weight...or are we too stupid to ever see the light?
Of course it will! But if it is not repealed soon, our entire economy will collapse with it. There are already over 200 companies that have reduced hours or fired personnel to keep from being under Obama's heavy thumb.

http://rare.us/story/258-employers-cutting-hours-due-to-obamacare-so-far/

It’s always amazing how easy it is to find bad news about Obamacare, whether it’s reduced hours, fewer jobs, or lost health insurance the stories never seem to stop.

http://rare.us/story/obamacare-insurance-costs-to-jump-125-in-wisconsin/

If you like your insurance, you’ll have to pay more than double for it if you live in Wisconsin, all thanks to Obamacare.

From The Weekly Standard:

A local report from Green Bay, Wisconsin says that health care premiuns could increase up to 125 percent because of Obamacare:

“Half a million Wisconsinites will soon have to open up their pocket books for health care coverage,” says a local anchor. “And new estimates show, it may be costly. … The state’s office of the commissioner of insurance released estimates of how premium rates for individuals will be changing under the Affordable Care Act.”

The second anchor adds, “Yeah, for people who have no insurance or who may not have insurance those numbers show a wide range of increases- from 10-percent on the low end to as much as 125-percent. And with the requirement for individuals to have insurance set to start in less than a month, the law remains controversial.”

- See more at: http://rare.us/story/obamacare-insurance-costs-to-jump-125-in-wisconsin/#sthash.ooEsTlxz.dpuf

Last edited:
Non-essential Government Services shouldn't exist in the first place.

Just sayin'.

Well, I don't think anyone is claiming that tort reform alone will fix things.. but I can't imagine why increasing competition wouldn't help.

Competition is increasing. New insurers are entering markets and, yes, some are about to start selling plans available in multiple states simultaneously (i.e. across state lines). They have to play in a transparent marketplace with a level playing field, which is how competition is supposed to work. The result being that premiums for next year keep coming in lower than expected.

So what's the problem here?

First, the subject line is hooey. The GObP is not "willing" to do anything at all. What they are doing is searching for some "reason" to shut down the govt so they can pretend its Obama's fault and they don't give a damn who they harm doing it. In fact, the more people they hurt, the happier they'll be.

I'm sick of the R governing by tantrum and blackmail. Its time they voted in favor of their own constituents and their own country.

The GOP plan that I have heard about is to fully fund the government for one year with a continuing resolution. It would be based on spending the same amount on government next year as was spent this year, no increases or cuts.

CR's only make sense because it has been YEARS since the Democrat controlled Senate would agree to a real budget. (as required by law) The House passes budgets but they die in the Senate.

Forum List

Back