Should the gop be willing to shut down nonessential govt functions to stop obamacare?

Should the GOP stand their ground and defund O'care despite any possible ramification

• Total voters
Non-essential Government Services shouldn't exist in the first place.

Just sayin'.
The only legitimate services of the federal government are to maintain our military forces, regulate interstate commerce and to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. Let the states do the rest!

Great thread! Hand-wringing taken to new heights!

The law is about to be implemented....and it will kick in fully next year. We will see if the misinformation campaign ( job killer, people killer, monstrosity ) will outshine the actual results of the law.

What a great 2014 we will all have.

How about all you nuts promise to be honest about your evaluation? Would that be too much to ask?

I have listed several ideas that answer "and then what?" many times myself.

The point is...the GOP does not. The GOP is dead in the water. The GOP is weighed down by retards, psychos, liars, and hypocrites.

And most particularly by cowards. Cowards who only know how to attack the other guy's ideas but are too afraid to put their own out there and fight for them.

So they do the stupidest, most cowardly fucking thing of all: Threaten a shutdown.

Why would you think they are afraid to put their ideas out there? If they are more than willing to bring down the country, they are not afraid. Beside, they have no ideas to begin with. That's the problem.

Yes or no and what do you believe the ramifications would be? And I don't mean lost elections. Individual political seats are not more important than the health (not medical) of our nation as a whole.
The dems screamed the sky was falling when the thought of sequester wasmentioned. Reality showed different.

Im sick of the gop being forced to "go along" just to keep the gun away from their heads. This is a bipartisan mess overall and im sick of the dems getting a free pass. If the govt shuts down it will be because BOTH sides refused to compromise. BOTH

Congress is there to fulfill the will of the people not FUCKING KING OBAMA.

I say fuck these stupid games and play hardball. Sadly I don't think Boehner has the spine required to do what's right.

Someone sent me this:

If the Republican House wins then there is no reason for them to stop at Obamacare. Why not get rid of Medicare, Social Security, Civil Rights? Why not make abortion illegal in all states? Why not get rid of the income tax, etc? Why not do every single thing conservatives have wet dreams about?. Why not attack Iran, Syria, North Korea, Russia, even China? Why not bring back slavery? Why not Repeal the vote for women? Why stop at Obamacare?

Unemployment benefits: not until Bush tax cuts pass, Senate GOP says - CSMonitor.com

I'm guess that since they used the American people once before to blackmail Obama, they feel it's OK to do it again.

Only someone who received Government help cries about other's receiving government help. We call those people "dirty hypocrite scum".
Because the tax credits the builder got 26 years ago for two months built my business I started 3 years later right?

You are a fucking moron. The only one that benefited from that scenario was the builder looking for cheap labor when no one else would climb the scaffolding in the middle of winter when it was 5 below zero.

You really have no clue about the world outside your little bubble do you? Idiot

So you are saying they benefited by getting a worker cheap.

You benefited by getting some good reputation.

The government benefited because they could tax the work.

OK, so I missed the bad part. Oh, that's right. It was "cold". You should come an live in Chicago.

GOP to America....

If you don't let us take away your healthcare we will shut down the Government!

Yes or no and what do you believe the ramifications would be? And I don't mean lost elections. Individual political seats are not more important than the health (not medical) of our nation as a whole.
The dems screamed the sky was falling when the thought of sequester wasmentioned. Reality showed different.

Im sick of the gop being forced to "go along" just to keep the gun away from their heads. This is a bipartisan mess overall and im sick of the dems getting a free pass. If the govt shuts down it will be because BOTH sides refused to compromise. BOTH

I say fuck these stupid games and play hardball. Sadly I don't think Boehner has the spine required to do what's right.

Look.. Obama wants a single payer!
Single payer means $100 billion a year in lost tax revenue to Federal/state/local governments!
THAT cost has NEVER been mentioned as well as the 400,000 people that will be put out of work!

HEALTH INSURANCE companies do ONE THING!
THEY pay the claims submitted to them. 80% of every dollar in premium goes out in claims!
That is where the solution can be made when EVERYONE understands that $850 billion a year is paid out in claims that according to
the experts, i.e. Doctors UNNECESSARILY! WASTED! $850 billion called defensive medicine where physicians are so fearful of
being sued they order duplicate tests, etc. YET almost to a person on this board people translate everything else BUT don't grasp
this gigantic elephant in the room! Drs. tell us they do this so why are we so stupid not to attack THAT Problem?

Then the other major stupid idiocy about this whole discussion is WHY did ACA come about?? "Millions of uninsured"???
YES that was the primary reason! YET as I've endlessly proved over and over again THERE ARE ONLY 4 million!
18 million don't need but could afford insurance.
14 million that were counted as uninsured are too lazy to go to Medicaid and register!
10 million are NOT citizens!
THAT leaves 4 million! 4 MILLION! So we're destroying the entire health system for 4 million???
Why Grampa aren't you pissed that lawyers making over $270 billion most of it from health care lawsuits weren't taxed like tanning salons in the ACA bill?
10% or $27 billion would PAY THE PREMIUM for the entire 4 million that want and need health insurance!
THAT's it! Simple solution that as the $850 billion wasted duplicate spending declines the 10% tax would also decline!
I absolutely guarantee that between stopping hospitals from overcharging sometimes 6,000% to recoup uninsured and cutting the $850 billion, easily $200 billion a year in cost reductions!
Cost reductions means LOWER PREMIUMS because most people don't seem to know that states' regulators HAVE to approve premiums!
And when companies claims decline from the average of 80% of premiums.. BAM! Lower premiums! THAT's the way to make insurance less
expensive! IT WILL work!

You missed the part about skimming policies to pay for CEO's salaries.

Aetna CEO's Pay More Than Tripled Last Year - Hartford Courant

Bertolini was compensated a total of $36.36 million last year, not including $11.1 million in stock awards which vest later and are based on the company's performance.

--------------------------------------------------

Do these right wingers understand how many policies it takes to skim a 50 million dollar salary. Obamacare makes insurance companies spend at least 80% on their patients. To teanutty fruitcakes, that sounds like a "bad thing".

Who makes nearly 50 million from skimming insurance policies and then say they "worked hard"? Republicans?

The GOP has trotted out all the arguments they used against Social Security. I think the Republicans used the commie thing more with SS and less of the break-the-bank fear. The bank was already broken in 1936 and people sort of remembered banks being broken because when they went to draw out their old-age savings the banks and money were gone.
The GOP can't stand to see average people as well-off as they are.

When all else fails, the most extreme resort is the only resort.

Odd little man. What an awkward way to phrase that sentiment. You are very awkward. What else has failed? A democratic attempt to repeal the law? Is that what failed? Why yes....yes it is.

FYI, the most extreme resort, Templar, is Hedonism III. But it is not the only resort. I suggest that once you get a job and start making some money.....you take a trip to Hedonism. No swords allowed.

I just don't understand the entire 'shut down government' meme being perpetrated by both sides.

The House simply needs to craft a budget that funds the government but leaves off any monetary stipends for Obamacare.

Then send it to the Senate for ratification.

If it fails, then it is the Senate (aka, Democrats) who have failed (yet again) to fund the government.

The GOP needs to get their heads out of their asses and stop acting like a bunch of 3 years throwing a pissy fit because they didn't get their way (even though the individual mandate was a republican plan to begin with)

The affordable care act is the law of the land, deal with it.

so was slavery at one time. so was the prohibition of women voting.

all laws are not good laws. ACA is terrible legislation, probably the worst in our history

worst in our history? and you wonder why you can't win the white house

In order to preserve the integrity of the nation and the economy, government spending MUST be capped. And if holding the debt ceiling to the current level means some non essential functions of government will be temporarily shut down, so be it.
Obama believes that government and not the private sector is the basis of economic activity. That is incorrect. The very reason why our economy has not grown at greater than 1.7% in any one quarter since 2009 IS because of government spending and borrowing. Of course the threat of new taxes and the inevitable increase in expenses suffered by the private sector have smothered economic growth.
Boehner is a go along to get along operator. I objected to his nomination as Speaker and I think he has done a terrible job.
Boehner is part of that old guard RINO contingent that has taken the GOP and made it second rate.

The GOP needs to get their heads out of their asses and stop acting like a bunch of 3 years throwing a pissy fit because they didn't get their way (even though the individual mandate was a republican plan to begin with)

The affordable care act is the law of the land, deal with it.

Laws are not written in stone. Who told you they were?

I just don't understand the entire 'shut down government' meme being perpetrated by both sides.

The House simply needs to craft a budget that funds the government but leaves off any monetary stipends for Obamacare.

If it fails, then it is the Senate (aka, Democrats) who have failed (yet again) to fund the government.

That is a brilliant plan! I am sure it will work!

That is a brilliant plan! I am sure it will work!
It isn't a plan.

It is called 'performing your Constitutionally required duties'.

But to semi-answer your partisan BS....yes it will work.

The House does that very thing every year and Harry Reid ignores it and blames the Republicans in the Senate. And gets away with it every year.

The GOP has trotted out all the arguments they used against Social Security. I think the Republicans used the commie thing more with SS and less of the break-the-bank fear. The bank was already broken in 1936 and people sort of remembered banks being broken because when they went to draw out their old-age savings the banks and money were gone.
The GOP can't stand to see average people as well-off as they are.

I truly believe that. And so many Republicans are average people. But they see themselves as "millionaires without funds".

Should the gop be willing to shut down nonessential govt functions to stop obamacare?

False choice. Congress is capable of fully funding government except for Obamacare. No shut down would be necessary. Of course, the Senate will likely add Obamacare funding back in and send it back to the House. Nothing says the House can't remove Obamacare funding again and sent it right back.

Point is, no govt functions need stop to de-fund Obamacare. It would be on Reid and the Dem controlled Senate if they refused to vote for a funding bill that kept the government going ex Obamacare. Why the establishment RINOs think they'd be blamed is beyond me. As you say, they have no backbone!

Actually no, our federal government does not have that capability.
If people really paid attention. Really did some poking around to see just exactly the raw waste of taxpayer resources, they'd be aghast.
Just the amount spent on research on the most nonsensical things. Such as research grants to determine the libido of Japanese Quails while under the influence of cocaine.
All the pork spending. All the little bit here and little bit there. The money our government gives to these so called professors to write papers and the research grants offered for political favors. The money given to private business so they DON'T make or do stuff.

Forum List

Back