Shocked: Maine , woman says she would rather go to jail than take down her pro Trump signs

The ordinance has been around for decades, and maybe when it was created some 40-50 years ago it was for some forgotten political reason, but I doubt anyone around enforcing the law today, has any idea what that political reason was....
Bad laws cannot be tolerated simply because they have been around a long time.

Thats all the more reason to get rid of or modify the law.
and as I said, I have no problems with them changing the law if that is what their town people want, but in the mean time, she needs to follow the law and get herself a million 2 x 2 signs....

So you are against protesting? When Hillary lost and people were protesting you were against it. When there are sit ins protesting injustice you are against it all or only when it fits your agenda?

The link went to a Maine newspaper. Man, some of you people are so dumb and closed minded.
`
`

I think you need to check your browser.
`
`

Cap_-_856.jpg

It's against the law in her town to have a sign in your yard larger than 2 x 2 ft, her signs are larger than 2 x 3 ft.... I bet some sign shop would proportionately copy and make the signs in a smaller version that meets the sign/banner code in her area, and maybe even do it for free or thru donations I'm certain she could get. Maybe she'll get Trump's attention and his campaign could pay to get her signs reduced to the proper size, to be legal?
. Anyone offended by what this woman is doing in her yard, and this being in regards to signs that she has put up, is not offended by a sign at all, but is offended by what the sign says plain and simple. Someone in her town has influence with local officials, and has talked these officials into doing some dirty work for them. I bet you that there are junked up yards from hell in the town, and no one says a dang thing about them, but ohhh the horror's of a pro-Trump sign... Good grief how dang stupid is this nation getting now ?????????

Isn't following the law a conservative value?
. Yes, but don't you just love or loath the hypocrisy of you that are on the left in these situations or upon these issues ? You will say now don't you conservatives go getting all collective on the left now, because it is only the left that has the trademark on that sort of thing. LOL

If she would rather go to jail than follow the law, then I would certainly grant her wish. Lock the old bat up.

What are you even talking about? She has a right to free speech.

What law is she breaking? Please explain... The "executive branch" (of a local jurisdiction) is the one breaking the law here.

A higher court would shoot down the town's interpretation of the law as a free speech violation. If anything the woman would get fined, not go to jail. You need a warrant to arrest the woman for violations on her private property, which no court would legally be able to give out since it violates a Constitutional right.

That is why she needs to follow through with what she feels is a violation of her freedom of expression. A real liberal would back her for challenging the Constitutionality of the law. What we have here are Regressives that only believe in laws that follow their agenda which is stifling free expression.

I am a real liberal, but I like reasonable community standards. She didn't have a problem with what size signs were allowed until she decided Trump supporters should be given extra allowances..

The link went to a Maine newspaper. Man, some of you people are so dumb and closed minded.
`
`

I think you need to check your browser.
`
`

Cap_-_856.jpg

FTA: “I was shocked,” she said. “This is my freedom of speech. People have a right to voice their opinion.”
Read more

If you go to the bottom of the article, there is a spot where it says read more, if you click on that link, it will take you to a Maine website.

If she would rather go to jail than follow the law, then I would certainly grant her wish. Lock the old bat up.

What law is she breaking? Please explain... The "executive branch" (of a local jurisdiction) is the one breaking the law here.

A higher court would shoot down the town's interpretation of the law as a free speech violation. If anything the woman would get fined, not go to jail. You need a warrant to arrest the woman for violations on her private property, which no court would legally be able to give out since it violates a Constitutional right.

That is why she needs to follow through with what she feels is a violation of her freedom of expression. A real liberal would back her for challenging the Constitutionality of the law. What we have here are Regressives that only believe in laws that follow their agenda which is stifling free expression.

I am a real liberal, but I like reasonable community standards. She didn't have a problem with what size signs were allowed until she decided Trump supporters should be given extra allowances..

You are so full of it. A real liberal wouldn’t mind a person protesting a bad law, hell did you have a problem with the protests by OWS? If she is willing to go to jail, and pay the fines to change a law, then what is your issue?

You are not a liberal, I know real liberals, you are a regressive and you just proved it.

You are so full of it. A real liberal wouldn’t mind a person protesting a bad law, hell did you have a problem with the protests by OWS? If she is willing to go to jail, and pay the fines to change a law, then what is your issue?

You are not a liberal, I know real liberals, you are a regressive and you just proved it.

I suppose you are entitled to your little opinion. I don't have a problem at all. If she is willing to go to jail, I say let her.

If she wants to piss away a lot of money on legal fees to show her devotion to a former game show host, I say have at it lady and enjoy the ride.

I suppose you are entitled to your little opinion. I don't have a problem at all. If she is willing to go to jail, I say let her.

You are entitled to your stupid claim that you think you are a liberal, but your words on this forum prove otherwise.

So did you have a problem with OWS? If not and you have an issue with her protest, then you aren’t a liberal, you are a Regressive. You already stated you have a problem with her protest.

You are entitled to your stupid claim that you think you are a liberal, but your words on this forum prove otherwise.

So did you have a problem with OWS? If not and you have an issue with her protest, then you aren’t a liberal, you are a Regressive. You already stated you have a problem with her protest.

OWS was a brilliant idea that wasn't handled as well as I think it could have been. I don't have an issue with her doing what she is trying to do. I just think it's childish and funny.

OWS was a brilliant idea that wasn't handled as well as I think it could have been. I don't have an issue with her doing what she is trying to do. I just think it's childish and funny.

That isn’t what you originally posted, you want to try again?

I originally said that if she would rather go to jail than to follow the law, then lock the old bat up. I stand by that. If she wants to try some bullshit claim that free speech justifies what she is doing, I think it's childish and funny, but she's free to try to weasel out of it any way she thinks might work.

It's against the law in her town to have a sign in your yard larger than 2 x 2 ft, her signs are larger than 2 x 3 ft.... I bet some sign shop would proportionately copy and make the signs in a smaller version that meets the sign/banner code in her area, and maybe even do it for free or thru donations I'm certain she could get. Maybe she'll get Trump's attention and his campaign could pay to get her signs reduced to the proper size, to be legal?

If she is willing to go to jail for her peaceful protest, in she believes is a bad law, then why would you have a problem with that? Real liberal progressives should not have an issue with people protesting bad laws. Why do you?
if she wants to waste her money for the $100 fine a day, go for it! it's not unconstitutional to have an ordinance on sign size or fence heights or home sizes and heights.... she might get the town's sympathy and they could change the law if the town wants, but as far as constitutionality....it is constitutional for cities and towns to have these kind of ordinances...it does not stop her first amendment rights....

I originally said that if she would rather go to jail than to follow the law, then lock the old bat up. I stand by that. If she wants to try some bullshit claim that free speech justifies what she is doing, I think it's childish and funny, but she's free to try to weasel out of it any way she thinks might work.

I thought OWS was a good idea until they started protecting rapists and defecating on cars. I am okay with either as long as they are willing to pay the price. This lady I respect also, she is fighting what she thinks is a bad law. She didn’t know the signs were not within code until a neighbor who is somehow offended by a sign, complained. Not sure how one is offended by the signs.

If she is willing to go to jail for her peaceful protest, in she believes is a bad law, then why would you have a problem with that? Real liberal progressives should not have an issue with people protesting bad laws. Why do you?
if she wants to waste her money for the $100 fine a day, go for it! it's not unconstitutional to have an ordinance on sign size or fence heights or home sizes and heights.... she might get the town's sympathy and they could change the law if the town wants, but as far as constitutionality....it is constitutional for cities and towns to have these kind of ordinances...it does not stop her first amendment rights....

We will see. I am willing to bet her protest will change the law, good for her and I would feel the same no matter if it supported Trump or Clinton or Obama. I would be willing to also bet the ordinance was because of political campaign signs. I also believe the fines will be reduced if not dismissed.

Personally, I think the woman is being a horrible neighbor keeping her nasty Trump sign up and causing division in the town, she is being selfish and could care less about the other people who live in town...

What else can you call it?

I thought OWS was a good idea until they started protecting rapists and defecating on cars. I am okay with either as long as they are willing to pay the price. This lady I respect also, she is fighting what she thinks is a bad law. She didn’t know the signs were not within code until a neighbor who is somehow offended by a sign, complained. Not sure how one is offended by the signs.

Doesn't matter if a neighbor is offended by the signs. She has a problem with the ordinance. Her neighbor didn't cause her problem. She did.

Forum List

Back