Shocked: Maine , woman says she would rather go to jail than take down her pro Trump signs

If she would rather go to jail than follow the law, then I would certainly grant her wish. Lock the old bat up.

The Berkeley school of First Amendment rights strikes again.

Take it up with the zoning board.

Would the zoning board order her to remove the sign it it said: "IMPEACH TRUMP"?
Read the article in the link, and where it says READ MORE, click on it to get the details...her sign size breaks the law, if she reduces the sign size to that of her town's city ordinance, there is nothing they can do to her, the signs would be fine.

You are being "played" like a violin, by Alex Jones and the devil's spawn, infowars.
What's new? I usually ignore MW's threads as bullshit, but "Maine" brought me in. Now I'm outta here.

A Rockland, Maine, woman says she would rather go to jail than take down her pro-Donald Trump signs.
‘Shocked’: Maine Woman Ordered by City to Take Down Pro-Trump Signs

Well wait until you get told to take your bs down democrat or not it's gonna make it's way to you all too.
There is a business in town that still has up his giant TRUMP campaign sign, covers a third of the front of the building. No one is going to tell him to take it down though; he's the gun dealer in town. LOL
:lol:

note though, he is a business in a commercial zone and sign size or banner size would not be limited for a store front as it is in a residential zone, for a home.

what people from the right are not acknowledging is that it is NOT her free speech written on her signs that is being infringed, it's simply the sign size itself, regardless of words on it.

Last edited:
Signs are too big due to city ordinance. Period.
What if someone put up a 4x5 sign that said OBAMA STILL ROCKS complete with him on his bicycle? People would still complain.

She can make the signs smaller. Or..toss her ass in jail.

The ones saying these signs have to go would be arguing for those signs to stay and claiming racism if anyone disagreed.

If she would rather go to jail than follow the law, then I would certainly grant her wish. Lock the old bat up.

What are you even talking about? She has a right to free speech.

What law is she breaking? Please explain... The "executive branch" (of a local jurisdiction) is the one breaking the law here.

A higher court would shoot down the town's interpretation of the law as a free speech violation. If anything the woman would get fined, not go to jail. You need a warrant to arrest the woman for violations on her private property, which no court would legally be able to give out since it violates a Constitutional right.

People have whined about city codes forever. Quit whining.

The Berkeley school of First Amendment rights strikes again.

Take it up with the zoning board.

Would the zoning board order her to remove the sign it it said: "IMPEACH TRUMP"?

Yes.

You know better than that.

You're still an idiot.

A Rockland, Maine, woman says she would rather go to jail than take down her pro-Donald Trump signs.
‘Shocked’: Maine Woman Ordered by City to Take Down Pro-Trump Signs

Well wait until you get told to take your bs down democrat or not it's gonna make it's way to you all too.
_90479337_lockherup.jpg

Conservatives are trying to incite people with their Trump fascism. But if you want to trash your yard up with pro-Trump signs, you might as well put a sign on your yard that also says "dogs may shit here".

Signs are too big due to city ordinance. Period.
What if someone put up a 4x5 sign that said OBAMA STILL ROCKS complete with him on his bicycle? People would still complain.

She can make the signs smaller. Or..toss her ass in jail.
Not until they throw every junk riddled yard or property holder in jail first. Not gonna happen ?? What I thought...

God Bless the lady, but she needs to replace them with smaller signs. The local law doesn't care what's on the signs, so it's not a free speech issue. And, it's not jail she faces, but punitive fines.

It's against the law in her town to have a sign in your yard larger than 2 x 2 ft, her signs are larger than 2 x 3 ft.... I bet some sign shop would proportionately copy and make the signs in a smaller version that meets the sign/banner code in her area, and maybe even do it for free or thru donations I'm certain she could get. Maybe she'll get Trump's attention and his campaign could pay to get her signs reduced to the proper size, to be legal?
How does the town have any right to tell her what kind of freaking sign she can have in her yard?

It's against the law in her town to have a sign in your yard larger than 2 x 2 ft, her signs are larger than 2 x 3 ft.... I bet some sign shop would proportionately copy and make the signs in a smaller version that meets the sign/banner code in her area, and maybe even do it for free or thru donations I'm certain she could get. Maybe she'll get Trump's attention and his campaign could pay to get her signs reduced to the proper size, to be legal?
How does the town have any right to tell her what kind of freaking sign she can have in her yard?
A city ordinance that's been the law on the books for decades....Did you read the op link IN FULL? Did you click on READ MORE...?

The words on her signs are not at issue, the size of her signs is what breaks the City's Ordinance.

A city ordinance that's been the law on the books for decades....Did you read the op link IN FULL? Did you click on READ MORE...?
The words on her signs are not at issue, the size of her signs is what breaks the City's Ordinance.

It is a ridiculous city ordinance that likely violates her free speech rights and rights to property use.

This would be a good case to take to SCOTUS and see what they make of it into case law.

It is a ridiculous city ordinance that likely violates her free speech rights and rights to property use.

This would be a good case to take to SCOTUS and see what they make of it into case law.
Why would the hundreds of years of city ordinances be ruled unconstitutional now?

No one is stopping her from having a sign and what she wants to say on it....the size of the sign is something I can see all cities limiting, because larger signs could be a distraction and a hazard on the public streets to drivers....

Honestly, this whole op and Infowars link IS a Nothing Burger and simply MEANT TO DIVIDE US..... on the smallest of things....

just ignore these nimrods, and these silly threads....

Why would the hundreds of years of city ordinances be ruled unconstitutional now?

For the same reason that we had centuries of racially segregated schools that were suddenly ruled unconstitutional; sometimes it takes our judges time to realize that certain assumptions simply are not true, such as the right of a city to make arbitrary restrictions on what property owners do with their property.

Spite walls and billboards are one thing, but a 2x3 sign is just horse shit.

No one is stopping her from having a sign and what she wants to say on it....the size of the sign is something I can see all cities limiting, because larger signs could be a distraction and a hazard on the public streets to drivers....

Except at election time, apparently. Then people become magically able to focus on their driving and not the two hundred election signs people have in their front yards, lol.

Honestly, this whole op and Infowars link IS a Nothing Burger and simply MEANT TO DIVIDE US..... on the smallest of things....

Meh, I dont care so much that liberals are using their power to suppress support for Trump. They have been doing things like that for centuries.

I find it interesting that more and more people are questioning various assumptions regarding the scope of government power at every level.

For the same reason that we had centuries of racially segregated schools that were suddenly ruled unconstitutional; sometimes it takes our judges time to realize that certain assumptions simply are not true, such as the right of a city to make arbitrary restrictions on what property owners do with their property.

Spite walls and billboards are one thing, but a 2x3 sign is just horse shit.

Except at election time, apparently. Then people become magically able to focus on their driving and not the two hundred election signs people have in their front yards, lol.

Meh, I dont care so much that liberals are using their power to suppress support for Trump. They have been doing things like that for centuries.

I find it interesting that more and more people are questioning various assumptions regarding the scope of government power at every level.
blaming the government for enforcing the city ordinance is misplaced anger imo...change the ordinance if the town wants to change it, but outsiders like you and the op are just being trouble makers and sticking your nose where it does not belong.

Forum List

Back