Seattle raises minimum wage to $15 an hour

So right wingers are going to abandon Seattle because the burgers cost a dollar more? Better start this in solid Democrat states then.

for sure, try Detroit

Seattle is probably one of the most liberal cities in the US.

"Seattle median household income was $52,048 in 2011, about 15% higher than the US median income of $45,00. Seven of eight population groups in Seattle have higher median incomes than their national counterparts (Ex. 5-2)."

http://www.seattle.gov/economicDevelopment/indicators/incomeDistribution.htm

Seattle isn't going anywhere anytime soon. :lol: red states should thank them for the tax dollars though.

Republicans want to reward ownership.

Democrats want to reward work.

That is the way it has always been.

Democrats can reward work at the companies they own.

It isn't the governments job to set a living wage.

wow'

Democrats want's to reward work huh?

well at least they won't JOB LOCKED when they lose their jobs because companies don't want to pay for someone $15 who didn't even graduate high school

Jay Carney: Job Loss and Working Less Hours Due to ObamaCare

Last edited by a moderator:
The funny part is the starting wage in Seattle is usually around $15. My friend is a manager at a hotel downtown and she talks about how the front desk starts out at $16 an hour. While the same position at the same type of hotel here would be around $10.

Last edited:
wow'

Democrats want's to reward work huh?

well at least they won't JOB LOCKED when they lose their jobs because companies don't want to pay for someone $15 who didn't even graduate high school

Never been to Seattle I take it?

The funny part is the starting wage in Seattle is usually around $15. My friend is a manager at a hotel downtown and she talks about how the front desk starts out at $16 an hour. While the same position at the same type of hotel here would be around $10.

What hotel? I'd like to look it up.

So right wingers are going to abandon Seattle because the burgers cost a dollar more? Better start this in solid Democrat states then.

According to Michelle Obama, a democrat, no one should even be eating at mcdonalds cuz not only do democrats like to tell us what to pay our employees, they also like to tell us what to think and eat.

That's what I thought. How much do you pay your employees?

Do you have any employees? Next....

Just think of how great the economy would be if there was a 100 dollar an hr minimum wage.....all that spending !!! Lol.

Yes, I am going to list the name of the hotel my friend works at on the internet. Lol

That's what I thought. How much do you pay your employees?

Do you have any employees? Next....

Are you talking to yourself?

Perfect...send all the wortless occutards there

Oh! I love people who know nothing about Seattle. Too bad more cities, especially in red states were like Seattle. Then the people who live in the Seattle wouldn't have to send there tax dollars to red states.

Why do conservatives always say that lowering taxes will put more money in people's pockets and thus stimulate the economy,

Because conservatives understand economics and incentives.

but raising the minimum wage won't?

See above.

What's the difference? If a tax cut gave me an extra hundred dollars a week, or a wage increase gave me an extra hundred dollars a week...

One gets drafted out of the local economy and wasted on levels only measurable by societies running a ground and dying off. The other allows money to stay local and be re-invested in ways that grow the local economy.

Tax cuts mean money stays where it is and is mostly invested locally...

No tax cut means that money is taken away, far away.

No tax cuts and forcing employers to pay a lot more means money is taken from the local economy and businesses growth is stifled.

I have already talked to my business partner and if a 15$ min wadge was forced on us in our area we would look at dropping half our staff ASAP and cover the hours ourselves. Not that we want to do this, in fact we try very hard to keep people on that we should have let go but times are tuff.

If tax cuts really meant that money stayed local and was invested locally, our economy would be booming right now.

Okay, one more time for people on BOTH sides of the argument. This will not happen. They made sure it wouldn't happen when they put in the law that franchises would have to provide that $15.00 per hour in 3 years but other small businesses have 7 years to get to $15.00 per hour. That is blatantly unfair and we all know it's unfair. It will be challenged in court and it will be struck down. What we have to ask ourselves is why the Seattle City Council found it necessary to pass a law they KNOW will be struck down in court? Then I have to ask why those who are against it have their panties in a wad because they know it will be struck down, and why those who are for it blindly believe this will happen??? Is America really as stupid as this?

Martina Phelps says the Seattle City Council's historic vote Monday to raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour could change her life.

Phelps, 22, earns $9.47 per hour working for a McDonald's restaurant near downtown. She wants to move out of her mother's South Seattle home, and she wants to go back to school. She says those things could happen now that the city will have the nation's highest minimum wage.

"It's hard right now," she told USA TODAY hours before the midafternoon vote. "I have been trying to save up for school, but I just can't do it. This would mean a lot."

The council unanimously approved the measure before a packed house.

The plan, which includes a lower training wage aimed at teenagers, will phase in the higher, local minimum over three to seven years, depending on the size of the business and benefits they provide employees. Next April 1, when the plan takes effect, every worker will get at least a $1-an-hour raise.

Seattle raises minimum wage to $15 an hour

oops!

Looks like the administrators missed the fact that a thread had already been started on this subject in the "Economy" section.

Forum List

Back