Seattle raises minimum wage to $15 an hour

The reality that food stamps may get cut = reason for conservatives to support this.

I'm sure the loss of low skilled jobs will result in food stamp cuts. :cuckoo:

Of course, if your strawman "loss of low skilled jobs" were to occur then-----then a "result in food stamp cuts." would not occur but-----but you haven't produced any empirical evidence to support the BS you are spewing.

OTOH, earlier in this thread I c&ped excerpts from the article titled "Washington state defies minimum wage logic" which contained this excerpt "Not only was Washington the strongest [job creation] state, San Francisco -- with a minimum wage of $10.74, the country's highest -- had the greatest job gains in the past year among cities measured."

Cons have been pulling it out of their asses ever since Fox News won a court case ensuring their right to lie and-----and the First Amendment ensures your right blow smoke but-----but given your lack of evidence you should be embarrassed that everyone on this M/B knows you're just making it up and/or spewing T-party/Koch Bros. talking points.

BTW many rightwingers are coming around to the realization that higher wages = less government assistance, less government assistance = less debt, and less government assistance = more revenue, more revenue =...
Check out the attached article.

former publisher of the American Conservative Ron Unz...
Ron Unz reemerges as champion of minimum-wage hike - latimes.com

By Anthony York January 28, 2014

<snip>

Gov. Jerry Brown signed a measure last year that will make California’s minimum wage the highest of any state at the nation -- $10 per hour by 2016.

But that, Unz says, is not enough. He has a new ballot measure that would raise the state minimum wage to $12 per hour, a move Unz says could save the state tens of millions of dollars in welfare payments.

“The reason the current system operates is that there are massive government subsidies going to these low-wage employees,” he said. “Government essentially subsidizes low-wage businesses. They’re getting money from the taxpayer instead of standing on their own two feet.”

<snip>

and

Unz is also pushing against his own party and political movement. Unz, who used to be the publisher of The American Conservative and sought the state GOP’s nomination for governor in 1994, could be signalling the start of a conservative push to end poverty wages. His support for a minimum wage hike has some precedent in recent years. Mitt Romney came out in favor of tying the federal minimum to inflation during the last presidential election, and...

Of course, if your strawman "loss of low skilled jobs" were to occur then-----then a "result in food stamp cuts." would not occur

Darn, you're right.

but you haven't produced any empirical evidence to support the BS you are spewing.

You're right, I haven't posted any proof that a higher minimum wage will result in food stamp cuts. My bad.

the problem with these people is they have to wait for the whole thing to collapse to believe anyone

they just know about everything and how it's going to affect business, jobs, the people, welfare, a state, blah blah blah

You can't argue with idiots

maybe this will knock some common sense into them

SNIP:

Seattle Declares War On Small Business With $15 An Hour Minimum Wage

by
Stephen Kruiser

June 2, 2014 - 7:48 pm

Hippie infestation.

Seattle&#8217;s city council on Monday unanimously approved an increase in the city&#8217;s minimum wage to $15 an hour, making it the nation&#8217;s highest by far.

The increase was formally proposed by Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, and his spokesman said he intends to sign the ordinance on Tuesday.

Apparently unaware that it doesn&#8217;t have the weather advantages that other places pricing themselves out of existence do (Los Angeles, anyone?), Seattle seems to be ready to set a record for how many businesses it can ruin.

The earnest idiots who whip up this minimum wage frenzy always use big corporations in their examples. It&#8217;s usually along the lines of, &#8220;The CEO of McDonald&#8217;s makes millions while the burger flipper struggles and that is wrong BECAUSE FAIRNESS.&#8221; No discussion of the fact that an entry level, part time job isn&#8217;t supposed to be your adult income wage for life.

What they don&#8217;t discuss is just how stifling this progressive feel good, math-hating nonsense is to current and aspiring small business owners.

Because they want to drive as many people as they can into financial hell.

all of it here
The PJ Tatler » Seattle Declares War On Small Business With $15 An Hour Minimum Wage

Things are probably better as they are where an adult makes minimum wage and is able to receive assistance. I have no problem with someone working 40 hours a week for a low wage receiving some assistance as one cannot pay the bills on minimum wage.

the strong shall survive is not leveling the playing field

the little guy gets wiped out while the big guy absorbs it

nifty man

leveling the playing field --LOL

No. The guy who doesn't have a well run business with a good model for profit gets wiped out.

Have you ever owned a business? Ever been a financial adviser for a business? Served as an accountant?

I wonder if he has actually WORKED for a living!

Martina Phelps says the Seattle City Council's historic vote Monday to raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour could change her life.

]

"In truth, there is only one way to regard a minimum wage law: it is compulsory unemployment, period. The law says: it is illegal, and therefore criminal, for anyone to hire anyone else below the level of X dollars an hour. This means, plainly and simply, that a large number of free and voluntary wage contracts are now outlawed and hence that there will be a large amount of unemployment. Remember that the minimum wage law provides no jobs; it only outlaws them; and outlawed jobs are the inevitable result."

Murray N Rothbard

Let the layoffs and firings commence. Let the mass exodus to other States begin. Seattle? We hardly knew ye...

OMG who knew-----who knew there would be "layoffs and firings", so far as I know it's never happened before and-----and while the rightwingers on this M/B have told us how they feel... they haven't shown any verifiable instances where raising the minimum wage has resulted in mass "layoffs and firings."

C'mon righties, we've seen enough of your unsubstantiated emotional hypothetical's, it's time-----time to quit whining and show evidence-----empirical evidence - there has to be at least one example that righties can post where some employer ignored the work his business needs to stay in business but chose instead to lay off and fire people cuz-----uh cuz, um cuz the minimum wage hurt his/her feelings -giggle-

It'll never happen. The law requires franchises to reach the $15.00 rate in 3 years, but allows other small businesses 7 years. There will be a lawsuit and the lawsuit will be successful. Do they do these stupid thing on purpose? I mean, they have to know it won't hold water. Maybe they just want the voters to THINK they are doing something for the people when in reality, they are as in favor of the corporations as ever.

The lawsuits will go no where I am afraid.

Liberals you asked for it and the conservatives you have made the dire prediction. Now it's time to see what happens. You are taking a city that is relatively well to do in Seattle (unlike say Detroit).

We will get to see what the effect of the minimum wage increase is. Will it be as the conservative predict and lead to mass unemployment, businesses going out of business, businesses living the city, people losing benefits, massive increase in prices and the sky falling. OR will it be as the liberal say, no measure increase in unemployment and happy hippies all around.

The businesses that will be effected are going to be retail, food and beverage, convenient, call centers, storage facilities and many other low wage jobs. Keep in mind a job that doesn't pay minimum wage such as $12 or $14 a hour is going to see an increase. That is a few thousand a year per employee.

My guess is any company that can leave will relocate to outside of the destruction zone. Retailers will move just outside of the city, storage companies will most relocate and any facility that can leave will leave. Prices will go up for those that stay. You will see people having to leave the city to get low skilled jobs.

I think the conservatives will be correct, I mean the woman pushing this is a very brain dead women.

Seattle is the experiment and the results will be based off her!

Last edited:
Liberals you asked for it and the conservatives you have made the dire prediction. Now it's time to see what happens. You are taking a city that is relatively well to do in Seattle (unlike say Detroit).

We will get to see what the effect of the minimum wage increase is. Will it be as the conservative predict and lead to mass unemployment, businesses going out of business, businesses living the city, people losing benefits, massive increase in prices and the sky falling. OR will it be as the liberal say, no measure increase in unemployment and happy hippies all around.

The businesses that will be effected are going to be retail, food and beverage, convenient, call centers, storage facilities and many other low wage jobs. Keep in mind a job that doesn't pay minimum wage such as $12 or $14 a hour is going to see an increase. That is a few thousand a year per employee.

My guess is any company that can leave will relocate to outside of the destruction zone. Retailers will move just outside of the city, storage companies will most relocate and any facility that can leave will leave. Prices will go up for those that stay. You will see people having to leave the city to get low skilled jobs.

I think the conservatives will be correct, I mean the woman pushing this is a very brain dead women.

No SeaTac is the experiment. Seattle made the law apply unevenly, SeaTac made it apply to everyone.

No SeaTac is the experiment. Seattle made the law apply unevenly, SeaTac made it apply to everyone.

What is SeaTac?

Anyways Seattle applied 5 yrs for 500+ employees and 7yr for <500, with franchises falling into the 500+ regardless of the number of employees at the single location.

Raising the minimum wage would reduce the cost of social welfare programs, foster economic growth, and strengthen families - all virtues extolled by conservatives.

As a 1995 paper in the Journal of Economics Literature put it, &#8220;There is a long history of empirical studies attempting to pin down the effects of minimum wages, with limited success.&#8221; No one found significant employment losses when President Truman raised the minimum wage by 87% in 1950. When Congress raised the minimum wage by 28% in two steps in 1967, businesses predicted large employment losses and price increases. As the Wall Street Journal reported six months later, &#8220;Employment and prices show little effect from $1.40-an-hour guarantee.&#8221;

Economic research supports raising the minimum wage | Economic Policy Institute

Raising the minimum wage would reduce the cost of social welfare programs, foster economic growth, and strengthen families - all virtues extolled by conservatives.

Of course you say that even though you can't back it up. The guarantee people at $15 a hour still get food stamps if they want, qualify for Section 8 and won't have healthcare. So the liberal argument that it will lead to less entitlement spending is BS!

Oh! I love people who know nothing about Seattle. Too bad more cities, especially in red states were like Seattle. Then the people who live in the Seattle wouldn't have to send their tax dollars to red states.

If fricken retard Progressive Liberals in Seattle didn't vote for Nanny State Liberals in Congress they wouldn't be sending their tax dollars to Red States.

Just like a stupid Liberal ... Vote for politicians who support the programs you don't want to pay for.

If you folks in Seattle would quit screwing the rest of us and mind your own business ... You would soon see where we aren't complaining about the stupid decisions you make.

I don't live in Seattle.
And you are welcome.

It doesn't matter where you live ... And I didn't thank you for anything.

You made the comment about policies supported by the people who live in Seattle and how other states should follow their stupid lead.
You then made a comment about them having to send money to Red States because of the politics they support.

If you feel like bitching about sending money to Red States ... Then quit voting for the people who inact the policies that make you.
The Red States aren't asking you to send them money ... Mind your own business and shut the fuck up.

USA Today - Study: States that raised minimum wage had stronger job growth

"A recent study by the Center for Economic and Policy Research attempts to undercut the argument that raising the minimum wage kills jobs.

The study, which updates a Goldman Sachs analysis to include data from April and May, shows that the 13 states that increased their minimum wages on Jan. 1 have had stronger employment growth than the 37 states that didn’t. The study compared average employment during the first five months of 2014 with the last five months of 2013.

...low-wage workers tend to spend nearly all their extra cash, lifting the local economy and creating more jobs."

Hobby Lobby starts it's workers at $14 a hour!!! That is more than the leftist Darling - Costco (who starts at $11.50)!

Forum List

Back