Seattle raises minimum wage to $15 an hour

So everyone in Seattle who was at 9 bucks an hour will now have an extra 200+ bucks a week to spend into the Seattle economy.

How do you come to that conclusion?

9 + 6 = 15. 6 x 8 = 48. 48 x 5 = 240.

6 extra bucks per hour, 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.

So lets say that individual works 10 hours OT every week. At $22.50 per hour that would be an additional $225 per week. Or $10k.....The threshold for the 25% tax bracket is $36k....So all it would take is 6 hours OT per week.

Raising the minimum wage would reduce the cost of social welfare programs, foster economic growth, and strengthen families - all virtues extolled by conservatives.

All the businesses will have to pay it, so it's a level playing field. The strong will survive.

the strong shall survive is not leveling the playing field

the little guy gets wiped out while the big guy absorbs it

nifty man

leveling the playing field --LOL

No. The guy who doesn't have a well run business with a good model for profit gets wiped out.

Have you ever owned a business? Ever been a financial adviser for a business? Served as an accountant?

Stupid doesn't even begin to describe people like you who are wrong every time yet keep claiming your same retarded talking points are true.

I'm never wrong. I have history and reality on my side. You have greed and delusions on yours.

You are always wrong. History has proven you wrong. You are clearly delusional.

You nefver stood a chance in this debate. You do realize that, don't you?
Simply wishing for something to occur and believing in the magic pixie dust does not make it fact.
Do you really believe businesses will not react to this and and work to protect their bottom lines?

Your an idiot. :cuckoo: Increasing minimum wage increases jobs & lowers unemployment rates. Seattle has the highest minimum wage in the country, yet their unemployment rate is only 4.4% which is lower than their surrounding cities, their state, surrounding states & lower than the state of Texas that has low wages & the benefits of an oil boom.

Increasing minimum wage increases jobs & lowers unemployment rates.

Good to know.
Let's raise it to $100/hr.

Don't be stupid.

Just a minute....You believe people of low skill are not paid enough.
The OP is saying "pay them enough"..
What's wrong with you?

Because conservatives understand economics and incentives.

yet, over the past 30 years, with taxes being at their lowest point in decades and decades, wages for the the middle class have stagnated while the wealth of the top 1% has increased exponentially.

See above.

yet the average CEO earns a median wage of $10 million a year and we can repeat over and over that somehow that is ok while workers should be unable to pay for a place to live and put food on their plate and clothe and care for and educate their kids for some illusory reason.

the fact is that in places like Australia where the minimum wage is $15 an hour, the economy does better? why? because the middle class can afford to buy goods. if you divest people of the ability to purchase goods, you divest the market of the need to manufacture and sell... therefore there are no jobs, (which is what we are seeing now), etc.

so perhaps what conservatives "know" (though how they "know" it is beyond me) should be modified by changing statistics and economic circumstances.

:blahblah:
Lib talking points

So everyone in Seattle who was at 9 bucks an hour will now have an extra 200+ bucks a week to spend into the Seattle economy.

Umm, yer math leaves out a few details.
One, these workers will be in a higher tax bracket for both federal and state income taxes.
You also leave out the probability that if any of these people are scheduled for 40 hours per week, their hours will be cut dramatically. And why is this? Because the typical business simply does not have the resources to fund the additional labor costs.
And here's another issue. For example that woman who works in the hotel in "Sea Tac"...
The town raised their min wage to $15.
The woman said it's "no good"...She no longer gets tips. She had free parking. Gone. Free food from the hotel. Gone. Overtime is no longer an option because it costs her too much for parking. She makes LESS now than when she was paid the old minimum wage.
Once again, the the compassion of the liberal ideology ignores the laws of unintended consequences...

Why do you care? She's paid what she's worth. If she doesn't like it, she can just get another job, right?

Oh stop the emotional knee jerk reactionary bullshit. Here's a tissue..
I used this woman's story to illustrate the very real circumstances which were a direct result of government manipulation of the labor marketplace.
Instead of emoting, try thinking....For once.

Oh! I love people who know nothing about Seattle. Too bad more cities, especially in red states were like Seattle. Then the people who live in the Seattle wouldn't have to send their tax dollars to red states.

If fricken retard Progressive Liberals in Seattle didn't vote for Nanny State Liberals in Congress they wouldn't be sending their tax dollars to Red States.

Just like a stupid Liberal ... Vote for politicians who support the programs you don't want to pay for.

If you folks in Seattle would quit screwing the rest of us and mind your own business ... You would soon see where we aren't complaining about the stupid decisions you make.

I don't live in Seattle.
And you are welcome.

If we have to have another god damn debate about deductions and 94% tax rates I might have to kick the next hipster liberal dumb fuck I see in the nuts in hopes that they can't procreate.

Pissed because libertarians can't get elected? :lol:

Pissed because idiot libs like yourself think they are wining something only to find out they are wrong yet insist they're not
You do realize this new thingy in Seattle will not go unchallenged.
That it will likely make it to the highest courts in the State or may even draw the interest of the federal system.
Meanwhile ongoing litigation will prevent the wage increase from being enacted.
Either way, this thing is a loser.
And there's nothing you can do about it.

Vermont has the second highest minimum wage in the USA at $10.50/hr. Their unemployment rate has dropped to 4%.

First, you WILL post a link to that.
Second, Vermont's economy has been imploding for years. Save for tourism, the state has no economy. The labor participation rate has fallen dramatically as the state's population ages. Vermont's population growth since 1980 has been flat. The state gained only 30,000 people in the last 30 years.
Over one third ( 230,000) of Vermont's residents are age 50 and up.
The age at which a fully vested state employee in Vermont's pension systems is 55.
Vermont has over 50,000 former state workers drawing from it's general employee fund. That does not include the teacher's fund or the law enforcement/firefighter fund.

Vermont has the second highest minimum wage in the USA at $10.50/hr. Their unemployment rate has dropped to 4%.

Second, Vermont's economy has been imploding for years. Save for tourism, the state has no economy. The labor participation rate has fallen dramatically as the state's population ages. Vermont's population growth since 1980 has been flat. The state gained only 30,000 people in the last 30 years.
The age at which a fully vested state employee in Vermont's pension systems is 55.
Vermont has over 50,000 former state workers drawing from it's general employee fund. That does not include the teacher's fund or the law enforcement/firefighter fund.

i could be wrong

but according to this link

the only places i seen 10 dollars or higher is set for the year 2017/2018

Connecticut D.C. Hawaii Maryland

STATE MINIMUM WAGES | 2014 MINIMUM WAGE BY STATE

Vermont $8.73 yes Beginning January 1, 2007, and on each subsequent January 1, the minimum wage rate shall be increased by five percent or the percentage increase of the Consumer Price Index, or city average, not seasonally adjusted

State Minimum Wages | 2014 Minimum Wage by State

i could be wrong

but according to this link

the only places i seen 10 dollars or higher is set for the year 2017/2018

Connecticut D.C. Hawaii Maryland

STATE MINIMUM WAGES | 2014 MINIMUM WAGE BY STATE

Vermont$8.73 yesBeginning January 1, 2007, and on each subsequent January 1, the minimum wage rate shall be increased by five percent or the percentage increase of the Consumer Price Index, or city average, not seasonally adjusted

State Minimum Wages | 2014 Minimum Wage by State

KM is posting tons of BS, hate to think he believes his own lies.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

It'll never happen. The law requires franchises to reach the $15.00 rate in 3 years, but allows other small businesses 7 years. There will be a lawsuit and the lawsuit will be successful. Do they do these stupid thing on purpose? I mean, they have to know it won't hold water. Maybe they just want the voters to THINK they are doing something for the people when in reality, they are as in favor of the corporations as ever.

My Son wishes they would do this here so I got to thinking. Alll of these low wage workers likely do this as there career. Its how they pay their bills. So some questions I have about it is this, if these guys are taking food stamps to fill the gaps will those be affected at all ? And what about Medicaid ? Also, will this in anyway affect that tax thing where you get $500. Credit for there kids ?

It'll never happen. The law requires franchises to reach the $15.00 rate in 3 years, but allows other small businesses 7 years. There will be a lawsuit and the lawsuit will be successful. Do they do these stupid thing on purpose? I mean, they have to know it won't hold water. Maybe they just want the voters to THINK they are doing something for the people when in reality, they are as in favor of the corporations as ever.

My Son wishes they would do this here so I got to thinking. Alll of these low wage workers likely do this as there career. Its how they pay their bills. So some questions I have about it is this, if these guys are taking food stamps to fill the gaps will those be affected at all ? And what about Medicaid ? Also, will this in anyway affect that tax thing where you get $500. Credit for there kids ?

The reality that food stamps may get cut = reason for conservatives to support this.

The reality that food stamps may get cut = reason for conservatives to support this.

I'm sure the loss of low skilled jobs will result in food stamp cuts. :cuckoo:

Umm, yer math leaves out a few details.
One, these workers will be in a higher tax bracket for both federal and state income taxes.
You also leave out the probability that if any of these people are scheduled for 40 hours per week, their hours will be cut dramatically. And why is this? Because the typical business simply does not have the resources to fund the additional labor costs.
And here's another issue. For example that woman who works in the hotel in "Sea Tac"...
The town raised their min wage to $15.
The woman said it's "no good"...She no longer gets tips. She had free parking. Gone. Free food from the hotel. Gone. Overtime is no longer an option because it costs her too much for parking. She makes LESS now than when she was paid the old minimum wage.
Once again, the the compassion of the liberal ideology ignores the laws of unintended consequences...

Why do you care? She's paid what she's worth. If she doesn't like it, she can just get another job, right?

Oh stop the emotional knee jerk reactionary bullshit. Here's a tissue..
I used this woman's story to illustrate the very real circumstances which were a direct result of government manipulation of the labor marketplace.
Instead of emoting, try thinking....For once.

I am thinking. I'm thinking you sure have a lot of concern for this person making $15.00 an hour but you didn't give a crap for her when she made a lot less.

If we have to have another god damn debate about deductions and 94% tax rates I might have to kick the next hipster liberal dumb fuck I see in the nuts in hopes that they can't procreate.

Pissed because libertarians can't get elected? :lol:

Pissed because idiot libs like yourself think they are wining something only to find out they are wrong yet insist they're not
You do realize this new thingy in Seattle will not go unchallenged.
That it will likely make it to the highest courts in the State or may even draw the interest of the federal system.
Meanwhile ongoing litigation will prevent the wage increase from being enacted.
Either way, this thing is a loser.
And there's nothing you can do about it.

It'll be overturned in the first round.

I'm sure the loss of low skilled jobs will result in food stamp cuts. :cuckoo:

Of course, if your strawman "loss of low skilled jobs" were to occur then-----then a "result in food stamp cuts." would not occur but-----but you haven't produced any empirical evidence to support the BS you are spewing.

OTOH, earlier in this thread I c&ped excerpts from the article titled "Washington state defies minimum wage logic" which contained this excerpt "Not only was Washington the strongest [job creation] state, San Francisco -- with a minimum wage of $10.74, the country's highest -- had the greatest job gains in the past year among cities measured."

Cons have been pulling it out of their asses ever since Fox News won a court case ensuring their right to lie and-----and the First Amendment ensures your right blow smoke but-----but given your lack of evidence you should be embarrassed that everyone on this M/B knows you're just making it up and/or spewing T-party/Koch Bros. talking points.

BTW many rightwingers are coming around to the realization that higher wages = less government assistance, less government assistance = less debt, and less government assistance = more revenue, more revenue =...
Check out the attached article.

former publisher of the American Conservative Ron Unz...
Ron Unz reemerges as champion of minimum-wage hike - latimes.com

By Anthony York January 28, 2014

<snip>

Gov. Jerry Brown signed a measure last year that will make California’s minimum wage the highest of any state at the nation -- $10 per hour by 2016.

But that, Unz says, is not enough. He has a new ballot measure that would raise the state minimum wage to $12 per hour, a move Unz says could save the state tens of millions of dollars in welfare payments.

“The reason the current system operates is that there are massive government subsidies going to these low-wage employees,” he said. “Government essentially subsidizes low-wage businesses. They’re getting money from the taxpayer instead of standing on their own two feet.”

<snip>

and

Unz is also pushing against his own party and political movement. Unz, who used to be the publisher of The American Conservative and sought the state GOP’s nomination for governor in 1994, could be signalling the start of a conservative push to end poverty wages. His support for a minimum wage hike has some precedent in recent years. Mitt Romney came out in favor of tying the federal minimum to inflation during the last presidential election, and...

Forum List

Back