Seattle raises minimum wage to $15 an hour

Quite a different dichotomy this time, dill weed. This represents a 62% increase in the city wage. Mom and Pop businesses are going to get slaughtered because they are going to have a huge competitive disadvantage to the surrounding suburbs. Stupid doesn't even begin to describe you people.

Stupid doesn't even begin to describe people like you who are wrong every time yet keep claiming your same retarded talking points are true.

So why did Seattle raising the minimum wage to the highest in the country last time cause even lower unemployment? That is the complete opposite of what your retarded republican talking points claimed would happen. So now you just double down on stupid.

So why did Seattle raising the minimum wage to the highest in the country last time cause even lower unemployment?

Raising the minimum wage caused lower unemployment?
Excellent!!
Can you show me your proof?

Seattle Washington has the highest minimum wage in the USA & one of the lowest unemployment rates of 4.4%

In 2013 Washington's minimum wage At $9.32 an hour was above the federal minimum wage, $6.55 an hour & also the highest in the nation.

2009: $8.55

2008: $8.07

2007: $7.93

2006: $7.63

2005: $7.35

2004: $7.16

2003: $7.01

2002: $6.90

2001: $6.72

2000: $6.50

1999: $5.70

fredgraph.png

Last edited:
Why do conservatives always say that lowering taxes will put more money in people's pockets and thus stimulate the economy,

but raising the minimum wage won't?

Why do conservatives always say that lowering taxes will put more money in people's pockets and thus stimulate the economy,

Because conservatives understand economics and incentives.

See above.

What's the difference? If a tax cut gave me an extra hundred dollars a week, or a wage increase gave me an extra hundred dollars a week...

What's the difference? LOL!
I'll try to explain down to your room temperature IQ.

When you increase the cost of something, people tend to buy less of that good or service.

Obama wants to hike the cost of carbon, to save the Earth, because people will use less carbon.

If you increase the cost of your unskilled labor, businesses will use less unskilled labor.
You see they can invest capital in technology to replace that unskilled labor.

Now if you reduce the tax burden on labor, by cutting taxes, people have an incentive to work more.

For example, if a second wage earner in the home has a tax burden of 50%, they'll be more likely to work part time rather than full time.
The lower after tax income might even cause them to prefer not to work at all.
Cut that tax burden, the incentive shifts toward work.

The cost of not working increases as taxes drop.

Let me know if there is anything else I can clear up for you.
I'm always happy to educate an ignorant liberal.

If we have to have another god damn debate about deductions and 94% tax rates I might have to kick the next hipster liberal dumb fuck I see in the nuts in hopes that they can't procreate.

yet, over the past 30 years, with taxes being at their lowest point in decades and decades, wages for the the middle class have stagnated while the wealth of the top 1% has increased exponentially.

See above.

yet the average CEO earns a median wage of $10 million a year and we can repeat over and over that somehow that is ok while workers should be unable to pay for a place to live and put food on their plate and clothe and care for and educate their kids for some illusory reason.

the fact is that in places like Australia where the minimum wage is $15 an hour, the economy does better? why? because the middle class can afford to buy goods. if you divest people of the ability to purchase goods, you divest the market of the need to manufacture and sell... therefore there are no jobs, (which is what we are seeing now), etc.

so perhaps what conservatives "know" (though how they "know" it is beyond me) should be modified by changing statistics and economic circumstances.

yet, over the past 30 years, with taxes being at their lowest point in decades and decades

In 1988, taxes were 28% and 15%.
How is a top rate of almost 40% lower?

Stupid doesn't even begin to describe people like you who are wrong every time yet keep claiming your same retarded talking points are true.

So why did Seattle raising the minimum wage to the highest in the country last time cause even lower unemployment? That is the complete opposite of what your retarded republican talking points claimed would happen. So now you just double down on stupid.

So why did Seattle raising the minimum wage to the highest in the country last time cause even lower unemployment?

Raising the minimum wage caused lower unemployment?
Excellent!!
Can you show me your proof?

In 2009 Washington's minimum wage At $8.55 an hour was above the federal minimum wage, $6.55 an hour & also the highest in the nation.

2009: $8.55

2008: $8.07

2007: $7.93

2006: $7.63

2005: $7.35

2004: $7.16

2003: $7.01

2002: $6.90

2001: $6.72

2000: $6.50

1999: $5.70

fredgraph.png

Thanks for the info.

Still waiting for your proof.

So everyone in Seattle who was at 9 bucks an hour will now have an extra 200+ bucks a week to spend into the Seattle economy.

Interesting way of looking at things there Carebear. lets say you have 20 employee's that go up an average of 200$ a month, that's 4,000$ a month or 48,000$ a year more that business has to come up with...

Man, I'll bet that slows down expansions and growth of business that spend tons in the Seattle economy. Might even end up with fewer jobs, that too might suspend the economy just a tad more.

Guess we'll see how this plays out. Not looking good off the line but hey maybe all of economic history will pull a 180 and you get this one right.

lets say you have 20 employee's that go up an average of 200$ a month, that's 4,000$ a month or 48,000$ a year more

he posted 200 bucks a week

that would be 208,000 a year plus employer payroll tax costs

Oh.... My bad, we'll be letting almost all our staff go lol. Missed the a week part. Wow, what a fucking moron.

If we have to have another god damn debate about deductions and 94% tax rates I might have to kick the next hipster liberal dumb fuck I see in the nuts in hopes that they can't procreate.

Pissed because libertarians can't get elected? :lol:

No because I understand politicians that do get elected count on a large stupid public to keep getting them elected. So they took over education and the public just keeps getting dumber and dumber and dumber and then one day they turn into you.

Interesting way of looking at things there Carebear. lets say you have 20 employee's that go up an average of 200$ a month, that's 4,000$ a month or 48,000$ a year more that business has to come up with...

Man, I'll bet that slows down expansions and growth of business that spend tons in the Seattle economy. Might even end up with fewer jobs, that too might suspend the economy just a tad more.

Guess we'll see how this plays out. Not looking good off the line but hey maybe all of economic history will pull a 180 and you get this one right.

lets say you have 20 employee's that go up an average of 200$ a month, that's 4,000$ a month or 48,000$ a year more

Oh.... My bad, we'll be letting almost all our staff go lol. Missed the a week part. Wow, what a fucking moron.

yeah he also called that leveling the playing field --LOL

yeah he also called that leveling the playing field --LOL

These people have no idea how close most small businesses get to going out of business every month.

See above.

What's the difference? If a tax cut gave me an extra hundred dollars a week, or a wage increase gave me an extra hundred dollars a week...

When you increase the cost of something, people tend to buy less of that good or service.

Obama wants to hike the cost of carbon, to save the Earth, because people will use less carbon.

If you increase the cost of your unskilled labor, businesses will use less unskilled labor.

Now if you reduce the tax burden on labor, by cutting taxes, people have an incentive to work more.

For example, if a second wage earner in the home has a tax burden of 50%, they'll be more likely to work part time rather than full time.

Whatever that gibberish is supposed to mean notwithstanding,

what's the difference between a 100 dollar a week tax cut and a 100 dollar a week wage increase?

See above.

One gets drafted out of the local economy and wasted on levels only measurable by societies running a ground and dying off. The other allows money to stay local and be re-invested in ways that grow the local economy.

Tax cuts mean money stays where it is and is mostly invested locally...

No tax cut means that money is taken away, far away.

No tax cuts and forcing employers to pay a lot more means money is taken from the local economy and businesses growth is stifled.

I have already talked to my business partner and if a 15$ min wadge was forced on us in our area we would look at dropping half our staff ASAP and cover the hours ourselves. Not that we want to do this, in fact we try very hard to keep people on that we should have let go but times are tuff.

one for the bigger guys as well

a place with a hundred full time employees currently paying 10 bucks an hour

will see an increase in payroll by 1,040,000 plus payroll costs

what's the difference between a 100 dollar a week tax cut and a 100 dollar a week wage increase?

you get less money in your pocket with the wage increase verse a a tax cut

Increasing minimum wage increases jobs & lowers unemployment rates.

Good to know.
Let's raise it to $100/hr.

More retarded straw-man idiocy from retards who have nothing.

$100/hr is a bad idea? Why?

For the same reason that just because lowering taxes might be economically beneficial, lowering taxes to zero and collected no revenue whatsoever for the government to operate might be stupid.

Vermont has the second highest minimum wage in the USA at $10.50/hr. Their unemployment rate has dropped to 4%.

Seattle already has the highest minimum wage in the nation at $9.19 an hour. There's A New Push To Raise Seattle's Minimum Wage To $15 Per Hour

Seattle also has one of the highest rents in the nation, average $1846 for a two bedroom apartment. Average Rent In Seattle, Seattle Rent Trends and Rental Comps

Think there might be a correlation?

So you think high demand & prices for rentals won't create more jobs, spur building boom, eventually lowering rent rates?

How in your fucked up version of cause and effect is higher demand and higher wages going to result in cheaper rent?

How do you possibly think the rental company has to pay their people more, the grocery stores have to pay theirs more etc etc...

But you think this will result in cheaper rent and food? How is that possible?

You are having the government artificially increase the cost of labor. What happens when you raise prices? People stop purchasing that product or service.

It's basic economics.

You might as well be saying that regulating immigration is a case of the government artificially increasing the cost of labor because in a free market the free flow of labor across the border would drive down wages.

you get less money in your pocket with the wage increase verse a a tax cut

Did I need to go into a long treatise about the net amount being 100 in each case?

See above.

One gets drafted out of the local economy and wasted on levels only measurable by societies running a ground and dying off. The other allows money to stay local and be re-invested in ways that grow the local economy.

Tax cuts mean money stays where it is and is mostly invested locally...

No tax cut means that money is taken away, far away.

No tax cuts and forcing employers to pay a lot more means money is taken from the local economy and businesses growth is stifled.

I have already talked to my business partner and if a 15$ min wadge was forced on us in our area we would look at dropping half our staff ASAP and cover the hours ourselves. Not that we want to do this, in fact we try very hard to keep people on that we should have let go but times are tuff.

Tax revenues pay for jobs both in the public and private sectors. To cut tax revenues in order to give some people a tax cut, somewhere else someone loses a job, or someone loses business from the government, which likely means someone loses a job.

If raising the minimum wage costs jobs somewhere, so does cutting taxes.

Seattle already has the highest minimum wage in the nation at $9.19 an hour. There's A New Push To Raise Seattle's Minimum Wage To $15 Per Hour

Seattle also has one of the highest rents in the nation, average $1846 for a two bedroom apartment. Average Rent In Seattle, Seattle Rent Trends and Rental Comps

Think there might be a correlation?

So you think high demand & prices for rentals won't create more jobs, spur building boom, eventually lowering rent rates?

How in your fucked up version of cause and effect is higher demand and higher wages going to result in cheaper rent?

How do you possibly think the rental company has to pay their people more, the grocery stores have to pay theirs more etc etc...

But you think this will result in cheaper rent and food? How is that possible?

You don't understand economics. High prices increase supply, which lower prices until prices fall below production cost.

Seattle Signals Glut Risk as Apartment Construction Rises: "The biggest surge of Seattle-area apartment construction in a quarter century is threatening to undercut the growth in rents,"...“There will be a glut in 2013 and 2014 just because of the amount of new product.”

Last edited:

Forum List

Back