Republicans think handing corporations money creates jobs.

I say end all corporate welfare, that includes Amtrak, NPR and PBS, just shut down Walmarts, I'd have no problem with shutting them down. I shop mom and pops, I shop local, I wish Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Target and Costcos would all go away. I would have no issues.

So this is just an attempt to avoid reality. We live in a globalized world, with a globalized economy. The Founders never envisioned a time when you can sit at your computer in Seattle, order a product from Florida, have it delivered by a company based in Texas, and paid by a credit card based in Delaware. When Conservatives say the things you said above, they know it's unrealistic (Amtrak services millions of riders a day, 750,000 alone in the NE corridor, so you can't "get rid" of it). But that lack of realism is exactly what Conservatism is. Look at your economic policy of "if you build it, they will come". That's not reality, it's fantasy. Which is why it was in a movie, and not real life.

I think the truth is that you're just a lazy person who doesn't give much thought to anything.

As far as the $15, I'm all for it however, it will speed up automation and eliminate jobs. The trucking industry is looking at eliminating 4 million jobs in three to five years, with truck automation. McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King and other fast food restaurants are looking at eliminating millions of jobs through automation. Self checkouts are popping up at larger retail chains and grocery stores. How many jobs are you willing to eliminate to get wages up to $15 an hour? Amazon has an almost fully automated 120,000 square foot warehouse where less than 20 people would work.

You know, I've heard from Conservatives that those companies "are looking" to automate for decades, and it has never come to fruition the way you say it will. So how about instead of making predictions that will inevitably turn out wrong, you deal with the reality of today. Automation is happening, regardless of the wage and has done so for the last 40+ years. Yet, employment at the very positions you claim are going way has increased.

So what we have here is a Conservative (you), unaware of the current state of things. So you lazily (and sloppily) mumble and ramble generalized nonsense as you did here, without any knowledge of that which you speak.

Raising the minimum wage doesn't speed up automation. Raising the minimum wage increases consumer demand, which increases revenues, which increases employment. I've seen self-checkouts for years, but I don't see a requisite drop in employment in the retail or food service sector.

So one of us is talking out of our ass. Employment numbers seem to indicate that person would be you.

Amtrak service millions of passengers a day? 750,000 day just in the northeast alone?

Amtrak has 85,700 a day according to Amtrak so I think with most of what you post, you are full of crap.

The rest, I don't care if you believe me or not. You post nothing but opinion, cool by me. You seem to talk out your ass better than most.

And liberals think giving companies back more of the money they earned is called "handing them money."

Papa, he's the same moron who thought paying down public debt (and ignoring intragovernmental debt) meant it was a surplus. He got his ass handed to him on that one.

And liberals think giving companies back more of the money they earned is called "handing them money."

Problem is that the companies do not trickle-down those savings to their employees or workers. So it's just going into a black hole that does nothing to help the economy. This is where Conservative theory runs into fact. So you've made a philosophical argument, while ignoring the economic one...which is the only one that matters.

Papa, he's the same moron who thought paying down public debt (and ignoring intragovernmental debt) meant it was a surplus. He got his ass handed to him on that one.

S surplus doesn't automatically go to pay down debt, as the government collects revenues throughout the year, not all at once. So that's why if you look at the Treasury statements year-to-year, some months show a reduction in debt and others show an increase. This is because of the nature by which revenues are collected. For instance, September 1999 - September 2000 shows a net Increase in debt, but December 1999 - December 2000 shows a net decrease in debt.

The point is that Conservatives squandered the surplus by saying "surpluses mean we're overtaxed". So here's where your argument runs into itself; you complain about the debt, yet the mechanism by which you pay down the debt is the excuse to cut revenues, which results in an increase in the deficit and debt. So it's a circle jerk.
  • You oppose deficits and debt
  • Surpluses are what reduces debt
  • But surpluses mean "we are overtaxed", which was one of the reasons Bush gave in 2001 when he proposed his tax cut
So how are you supposed to pay down the debt when you erase surpluses with dumb tax policies?

BS! I responded to another poster and you took it off in another direction, you can't stick to the subject fine, but I am not going off on a tangent with you, so if you want to participate and go along great, if you want to control the direction, it ain't gonna happen.

Fair enough, snowflake.

You sure like name calling when you get completely flustered.

I say end all corporate welfare, that includes Amtrak, NPR and PBS, just shut down Walmarts, I'd have no problem with shutting them down. I shop mom and pops, I shop local, I wish Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Target and Costcos would all go away. I would have no issues.

So this is just an attempt to avoid reality. We live in a globalized world, with a globalized economy. The Founders never envisioned a time when you can sit at your computer in Seattle, order a product from Florida, have it delivered by a company based in Texas, and paid by a credit card based in Delaware. When Conservatives say the things you said above, they know it's unrealistic (Amtrak services millions of riders a day, 750,000 alone in the NE corridor, so you can't "get rid" of it). But that lack of realism is exactly what Conservatism is. Look at your economic policy of "if you build it, they will come". That's not reality, it's fantasy. Which is why it was in a movie, and not real life.

I think the truth is that you're just a lazy person who doesn't give much thought to anything.

As far as the $15, I'm all for it however, it will speed up automation and eliminate jobs. The trucking industry is looking at eliminating 4 million jobs in three to five years, with truck automation. McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King and other fast food restaurants are looking at eliminating millions of jobs through automation. Self checkouts are popping up at larger retail chains and grocery stores. How many jobs are you willing to eliminate to get wages up to $15 an hour? Amazon has an almost fully automated 120,000 square foot warehouse where less than 20 people would work.

You know, I've heard from Conservatives that those companies "are looking" to automate for decades, and it has never come to fruition the way you say it will. So how about instead of making predictions that will inevitably turn out wrong, you deal with the reality of today. Automation is happening, regardless of the wage and has done so for the last 40+ years. Yet, employment at the very positions you claim are going way has increased.

So what we have here is a Conservative (you), unaware of the current state of things. So you lazily (and sloppily) mumble and ramble generalized nonsense as you did here, without any knowledge of that which you speak.

Raising the minimum wage doesn't speed up automation. Raising the minimum wage increases consumer demand, which increases revenues, which increases employment. I've seen self-checkouts for years, but I don't see a requisite drop in employment in the retail or food service sector.

So one of us is talking out of our ass. Employment numbers seem to indicate that person would be you.

Amtrak service millions of passengers a day? 750,000 day just in the northeast alone?

Amtrak has 85,700 a day according to Amtrak so I think with most of what you post, you are full of crap.

The rest, I don't care if you believe me or not. You post nothing but opinion, cool by me. You seem to talk out your ass better than most.
When I put the spiderpuke on ignore, no longer do I see his bullshit posts. It is enlightening.

When I put the spiderpuke on ignore, no longer do I see his bullshit posts. It is enlightening.

First of all, it's Deadpool, not Spider-Man. Secondly, what better way to prove you're not an ignoramus than by putting people on ignore! <snort>

Conservatives like this one are so terrified of having their views challenged that they literally block them out. That's ignorance.

I don't put him on ignore he is great comedic relief, he is here only for entertainment, he offers nothing else.

Whoever his avatar is, it's a comic book character and that is pretty much what he has proven to be.

See, pure comedy from you! Thanks for the laugh!

It's clear by now you're just saying this to make yourself feel better about not being able to debate me on facts. So you have to get all emotional. Such a snowflake!

Apologies...Amtrak services 31 million riders a year. And furthermore, who says Amtrak has to make money? It's not a corporation, it's government-run, so it has no profit motive.

I'm fine if it doesn't make money, just don't have taxpayers fund it. Private bus companies can take over, they are usually as fast or faster than the Amtrak provides. Keep the Amtrak in the NE where it is profitable, dump the rest of the country. We do we need to use public funding when private carriers will do the same? Also Amtrak will run buses, there are private carriers that duplicate the work and it doesn't cost taxpayer dollars.

Keep the Amtrak in the NE where it is profitable, dump the rest of the country. We do we need to use public funding when private carriers will do the same? Also Amtrak will run buses, there are private carriers that duplicate the work and it doesn't cost taxpayer dollars.

Private carriers will not do the same. It's precisely the reason why the USPS delivers for UPS and FedEx. You know that scene in the movie Cast Away, when Tom Hanks delivers the package to that woman in the middle of nowhere? Yeah, he wouldn't be driving a FedEx truck, he'd be driving a USPS truck because the USPS delivers to areas of the country that private shippers can't deliver to because of the costs. Same is the case for transportation.

Keep the Amtrak in the NE where it is profitable, dump the rest of the country. We do we need to use public funding when private carriers will do the same? Also Amtrak will run buses, there are private carriers that duplicate the work and it doesn't cost taxpayer dollars.

Private carriers will not do the same. It's precisely the reason why the USPS delivers for UPS and FedEx. You know that scene in the movie Cast Away, when Tom Hanks delivers the package to that woman in the middle of nowhere? Yeah, he wouldn't be driving a FedEx truck, he'd be driving a USPS truck because the USPS delivers to areas of the country that private shippers can't deliver to because of the costs. Same is the case for transportation.

Most every stop that Amtrak makes has a private carrier bus service available and if it is not available, it's because Amtrak sucks off the passengers so private carrier can't make it. Also you will find private bus carriers serve way more communities than Amtrak ever has. Also Amtrak includes in it's ridership those that travel by their buses, which Amtrak has many bus routes.

And of course if it happened in a Tom Hanks movie!!! LOL!! More laughs! Thanks!

Most every stop that Amtrak makes has a private carrier bus service available and if it is not available, it's because Amtrak sucks off the passengers so private carrier can't make it. Also you will find private bus carriers serve way more communities than Amtrak ever has. Also Amtrak includes in it's ridership those that travel by their buses, which Amtrak has many bus routes.

So bus routes already exist then...so what is your point?

Forum List

Back