Religion(s) and the pursuit of knowledge

The Prophet Muhammad said, “Seek knowledge even in China,”

In his time, going to China was like going to the moon. It was a very dangerous journey and could take years.

He was basically saying to seek knowledge no matter what cost.

The Quran is very big on knowledge and science.

then I suggest you buy one of those tickets for the proverbial slow boat to China.

A faire wind
A flowne sheet
A fond von boyage

That makes sense.

But it also IMO betrays somewhat of a God/Religion paradox. As I've stated in other threads, I have no knowledge of what God might think, want or care about if indeed God exists. However, I cannot fathom any good reason why God would frown upon the pursuit of knowledge, especially if it leads to enlightenment. So it's actually possible that organized religions that seemingly trumpet the worship of and belief in God, are oddly enough and unwittingly, anti-God.

My head hurts.
It all makes sense if you believe it was from the Tree of Knowledge, that Adam and Steve were not supposed to eat from while enjoying the gayden of eden.

seriously though, knowledge is a threat to religion because religion is based on a belief in the supernatural. knowledge = the earth revolves around the sun not the other way around....

and knowledge will lead to the truth that popes, and television preachers in mega churches, and mullahs are all quite fallible.

But

What

if

enlightenment led to the knowledge that God does not exist!!

:eusa_think:
Would God really want that known??

That presupposes that pursuing knowledge will take us there, it's not convergent, it's divergent, that's what makes it so interesting.

hmmm, interesting bit of intellectualism on display. can I pos rep you on this one?

No, i understand it quite well. Adam and Eve did exactly as they were supposed to do. And I'm very glad they did.

Really? If they were supposed to eat from it (and God told them not to), then they wouldn't have been exiled from Eden.

You're GLAD that they did? Why? Check out the Torah sometime.....Eden is a nice place.

I take you're not familiar with the story of Adam & Eve...

...and the tree of knowledge. :eusa_whistle:

you do know it wasn't "book" knowledge, right? they became "aware of their nakedness"...

ever hear the expression "he knew her in the biblical sense"?

your problem is your paradigm for "religious" types is fundies... fundies do have a problem with science and education because they think the bible (or koran or whatever other book they're into) was intended literally.

Ever wonder why the pursuit of knowledge is a big no-no accoding to the dogma of many of the world's prominent religions?

I've always considered that a HUGE red flag.

How about you?

I wasn't aware that pursuit of knowledge was a big no-no. But I have to say, we do believe in throwing out bad science, something the left is incapable of.

I mean if you're going to accept theories then it's only fair to be accepting to all theories.

There's more evidence of there being a creator than there is of "coincidental" creation. But you wouldn't know it to listen to the sneering of the anti- crowd.

I mean if you're going to accept theories then it's only fair to be accepting to all theories.

Creationism/ID is not a scientific theory. They can't compare to evolution which IS a scientific theory and a well supported one.

There's more evidence of there being a creator than there is of "coincidental" creation. But you wouldn't know it to listen to the sneering of the anti- crowd.

I'd like to see that evidence.

If I started this thread, Amanda would be here whining about how I'm making fun of her religion.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back