Religion and idiots don't mix

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Merlin1047, May 10, 2005.

1. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    For those who still claim that there is really such a thing as "magic" and that there are actually people who can perform supernatural feats, perhaps the following might put a little damper on your enthusiasm. With people like those described in the article, religion and superstition become a volatile mix.

2. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm confused. How does the ignorant, abusive, and almost murderous manner of adult relatives inflicting torment on an 8 year old girl correlate to those expressing a belief in 'magic' or other supernatural phenomena?

3. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

I understand where you are going with this...however I really do not relate to witchcraft and traditional religious beliefs as one and the same...sorry :poke:

4. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I probably could have stated that better. I wasn't attempting any direct correlation between the folks who posted here and the nutbars in the article.

More accurately, I maintain that belief in witchcraft is simply superstition based on and supported by some religous teachings. Since witchcraft is mentioned in the Bible, the belief in its existence gains a certain level of credibility and has caused posters here to treat witchcraft seriously when it should instead be consigned to the same trash can that holds the notion that the sun revolves around the earth.

5. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    This story breaks my heart. That poor girl. She doesnt know what it means to be loved. Mary and I should adopt her.

:(

6. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ok. that I can get behind.