Regardless of what you think of Obama, do you think he has a solid chance of winning?

A poor deflection. Mitt shot his mouth off and has paid the price.

You are correct in paragraph 3.

Romney didn't shoot off his mouth. He exposed himself for who he truly was... an arrogant rich guy.

This was not the first time he had this argument with Perry about being for an individual mandate for the whole country, or what his book said about it. He had time to think about this. And somehow, he thought, "I'll bet that guy $10,000!"

You have every right to vote for whom you will. I know folks who would never vote for a candidate because he was a member of the Assembly, or an atheist, or Muslim, or whatever. Never made sense to me.

Of course it doesn't.

I don't believe that irrational beliefs don't suddenly become off limits because you dress them up in vestments and call them "a religion".

If Mitt Romney came out and said his economic plan was to write a really nice letter to Santa Claus, we'd judge him to be nut. This would be confirmed if we showed him pictures of the North Pole and no magic workshop, but he still denied it.

If Mitt Romney really believes he's wearing magic underwear, that he's going to rule his own planet in the afterlife, that America was inhabited by Hebrews who were hanging with Jesus 2000 years ago, then to me, those show he is not a rational person. These things have been disproven scientifically, but he still believes them.

And this is different than the Christian belief of a young earth because????

Should I refuse to vote for anyone that is a Christian?

It would depend. If a candidate, let's say Rick Perry or Michelle Bachmann, came out and said that Dinosaur bones were fakes made by the devil to fool us into believing in evolution, I would say, ummmm, yeah, that would be a disqualifier for me, as well.

Most Christians accept an old earth.

Your unreasoning religious bigotry continues to display itself.

Duly noted you were unable to refute my point.

Let's try again...

Do foolish beliefs suddenly become less foolish when you call them a religion? Yes or no.

What I find amusing is that you whine and scream about the influence of the "religious right" in the GOP, and then support the guy with the most obviously insane, crazy religion of the bunch.

While the GOP has convinced itself that 2012 will be a walk, they're ignoring the fact that this is about electoral votes. If Obama can hold the states Kerry won in 2004 and pick up just a few more, it's over. And that can translate to down-ballot wins for the Dems, too.

If Europe can pull itself together just enough to avoid abject catastrophe, the GOP will actually have to run a strong candidate. The American economy is showing signs of life - no, not a boom, but enough for slow growth. I'd guess the Dems are thrilled with the GOP field.

It would depend. If a candidate, let's say Rick Perry or Michelle Bachmann, came out and said that Dinosaur bones were fakes made by the devil to fool us into believing in evolution, I would say, ummmm, yeah, that would be a disqualifier for me, as well.

All right, I'll give you that. I guess that, as an atheist, I have been forced to vote for people that have silly superstitions for so long that it has become normal. Mormons have some downright craze beliefs though so I can see where you would not vote for one of them. I just have a hard time comparing one superstition to another.

While the GOP has convinced itself that 2012 will be a walk, they're ignoring the fact that this is about electoral votes. If Obama can hold the states Kerry won in 2004 and pick up just a few more, it's over. And that can translate to down-ballot wins for the Dems, too.

If Europe can pull itself together just enough to avoid abject catastrophe, the GOP will actually have to run a strong candidate. The American economy is showing signs of life - no, not a boom, but enough for slow growth. I'd guess the Dems are thrilled with the GOP field.

Europe is in a death spiral, and they are going to end up taking us down with them. The economy is going to be a lot worse next year..

Dems are talking smack about the GOP feild, but any one of them is more qualified than Obama was when he got the job.

All right, I'll give you that. I guess that, as an atheist, I have been forced to vote for people that have silly superstitions for so long that it has become normal. Mormons have some downright craze beliefs though so I can see where you would not vote for one of them. I just have a hard time comparing one superstition to another.

I am also an atheist. My dislike of Mormons comes from when I had the bad luck of being stationed at a training camp with a bunch of them. The kind of blank looks you normally see on Moonies or other whacked out cultists.

But I'm a realist. I know we will never elect an atheist in this country. Religion continues to thrive because, hell, most of us are afraid of death and really want there to be SOMETHING beyond this life.

Mormonism, though, takes it up a notch, because it was obvious to people at the time Joseph Smith was running a scam. "I just talked to God, and he wants me to marry your fifteen year old daughter. Yup. God said that was the only way she was getting into heaven. And I know I'm already married to 30 other women, it's going to be a crowded wagon. "

You see, this is where I think the GOP is potentially walking into a trap. The MSM is giving Romney a pass on Mormonism right now, but once he gets the nomination, watch out. We are going to get all these specials on what MOrmons believe and all the "zany" stuff in their history.

You see, this is where I think the GOP is potentially walking into a trap. The MSM is giving Romney a pass on Mormonism right now, but once he gets the nomination, watch out. We are going to get all these specials on what MOrmons believe and all the "zany" stuff in their history.
Good point as well. When he is going up against the golden boy I am sure that every little point will be dissected to the nth degree. Being a Mormon is going to be one tough pill for the average American to swallow. Particularly if there are any decent exposés on the religion.

Your unreasoning religious bigotry continues to display itself.
Duly noted you were unable to refute my point. Let's try again... Do foolish beliefs suddenly become less foolish when you call them a religion? Yes or no. What I find amusing is that you whine and scream about the influence of the "religious right" in the GOP, and then support the guy with the most obviously insane, crazy religion of the bunch.

You are far more in sympathy with that guy than anyone else here. I do not like the pressure of the social value conservatives, but that pressure is dying down because they are losing voting % every election cycle. They can no longer swing a national election (thank heavens) and within a decade, they will no longer swing the GOP primaries in various states (thank heavens).

Yes, your hatred, unreasoning and vitriolic (your opinion is not fact, son), shows that you are an unhinged personality.

You are what you are: tis what tis.

Europe is in a death spiral

Europe, or more accurately Germany, is doing things with the Euro and austerity measures that are unwise, but to call it a "death spiral" is pretty wild exaggeration.

We are not going to see a return to recession next year. The underlying problems in our economy have not been addressed and will work to damp down recovery, but another downturn is almost certainly years away.

Good point as well. When he is going up against the golden boy I am sure that every little point will be dissected to the nth degree. Being a Mormon is going to be one tough pill for the average American to swallow. Particularly if there are any decent exposés on the religion.

I had to think about this one for a while before responding. As I said a couple days ago I expect that this is going to be one of the dirtiest campaigns in modern history (I don't think anything could touch Jackson vs. Adams in 1828*) and as such there will be nothing that is sacred on either side. So I would expect that Romney's religion will be viciously attacked but probably not by Obama's campaign directly. He will use proxy organizations to do that. Still, I am not convinced that it will really be that big of an issue. I could certainly be wrong, but the same stuff was said about Kennedy being a Catholic.

Certainly there will be some people who refuse to vote for Romney because he is Mormon, but I am not convinced it will be a nail in his coffin.

*A little trivia on that election. It was because of that election that the Democrats have a donkey as their mascot. During the campaign John Quincy Adams frequently referred to Jackson as "Andrew Jackass". Instead of getting pissed about it Jackson adopted the jackass as his campaign mascot to make fun of Adams. Later presidents such as Martin Van Buren and James Polk used the jackass to show that Jackson supported them and it became permanent. Just a little useless history. :lol:

Forum List

Back