Parents of dying 10-year-old girl challenge organ donor rule

Judges should never make these kinds of decisions. Do we really want people to have to prove in a court of law that they deserve to live more than someone else. How about transplant by petition. You get one if you get more votes than the next one on the list.

How about just wheeling the patients into an arena where we could give thumbs up or thumbs down?

Judges should never make these kinds of decisions. Do we really want people to have to prove in a court of law that they deserve to live more than someone else. How about transplant by petition. You get one if you get more votes than the next one on the list.

How about just wheeling the patients into an arena where we could give thumbs up or thumbs down?

i know.... whoever gets the most likes on facebook gets the organs.... even if they don't match!!!

Sometimes I wonder if that is what will happen one day.

Report: Sarah Murnaghan Gets Lung Transplant
6/12/2013

via TWITTER:
Kyle Carmean @kcarmean

Great news Sarah Murnaghan is getting her lung transplant! #Sign4Sarah Family says she is in surgery now. @Fox29philly
10:19 AM - 12 Jun 2013

This after a policy change on Monday: Politico reports:

The national panel that sets organ donation policy on Monday ordered a yearlong review of the guidelines for allocating lungs to dying children — but also allowed for a case-by-case review by an expert panel in the interim.

The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network made the decision at an unusual emergency session. The cases of two seriously ill children hospitalized in Philadelphia have drawn congressional attention to the policy and prompted a highly unusual intervention by a federal judge after the families sued the U.S. government and HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius.
Report: Sarah Murnaghan Gets Lung Transplant | The Philly Post

Last edited:
Great news someone died!

As I heard this "happy news", I cannot help but wonder how the family of the deceased feels at the joy being expressed that their loved one is dead.

If it's such happy news, and there is such jubilation because someone died, why not have a national registry so that when an organ is needed, the person who is a match can just be taken off the street and harvested without having to wait for accidental death to spread such joy?

Interesting. I did not think that this would happen so fast or that her chances were even that good. Apparently she was more than placed on the recipient list. Looks like she was bumped to the front as well.

Interesting. I did not think that this would happen so fast or that her chances were even that good. Apparently she was more than placed on the recipient list. Looks like she was bumped to the front as well.

Some people live, some people die.

I am sure that is great comfort to those bumped off the list in favor of the little girl.

My advice, get a good PR agent if you need a transplant or any kind.

American Idol Nation is a sucker for good PR.

The precedent being set here is that when you don't like the system use the media against it -which is hardly fair to others who the system already places higher on the list. Until the system is changed, and those on it currently are grandfathered people need to accept the fact that life isn't always fair even if it involves children.

She wasn't bumped to the front of the list, the seriousness of her condition put her on the front of the list. That was the whole argument. Sarah was #1 on the pediatric transplant list. If she was on the adult list, she'd be #1 there too. She was put on the adult list and someone died, so her family is happy.

Sure. Just let her die. Nobody here would have cared anyways.

She is STILL going to die, likely in around 3 years.

Is there any medical text contraindicating such? Well, had the doctors not believed that she wouldn't have lived a long healthy life, I might agree that it was pointless. But the opposite seems to have been true. Hey, I was not there, nor could I stomach it.

Last edited:
Great news someone died!

As I heard this "happy news", I cannot help but wonder how the family of the deceased feels at the joy being expressed that their loved one is dead.

If it's such happy news, and there is such jubilation because someone died, why not have a national registry so that when an organ is needed, the person who is a match can just be taken off the street and harvested without having to wait for accidental death to spread such joy?

as sad as it is my brother and sister in law feel good about the donations given

by their daughter my niece at the time of her unexpected death

they have met some of the people the donations helped

Forum List

Back