Parents of dying 10-year-old girl challenge organ donor rule

Also, if she does get the transplant, what about the other kids on the list? Do they also move up above an adult? After all, if you let one child go first, its only fair to allow the other children to go first, as well...

If you have not done so, consider being a donor and giving the greatest gift you can give, the gift of life and it won't cost a single cent.

Or be a live donor and don't wait for later.

Last edited:
I asked this before and no one commented:

Someone brought up a good point. Why doesn't the mother donate a lung for her daughter? People can live with one lung.

I know that people can live with one lung, but is there a particular reason they won't replace two diseased lungs with one good lung? That would kind of help with the space issue in a child.

I Googled a bit and couldn't find an answer to this specific question.

The mother might not be a match. Even so a transplant from a living donor is very dangerous for the donor. My husband's daughter wanted to donate liver tissue and they wouldn't do it.

They do kidney transplants from living donors all the time. They take diseased lungs out of living people all the time. So why can't you take a healthy one out and give it to someone else.

Why does this little girl have to die? In fact, why do hundreds of people die everyday waiting for transplants? The answer is pretty simple. There are just not enough organs to go around. If you have not done so, consider being a donor and giving the greatest gift you can give, the gift of life and it won't cost a single cent.

organdonor.gov | Becoming a Donor

I became a donor at the ripe old age of 11 - with my parents permission. Nearly 20 years on, I carry my organ donor card everywhere.

Someone brought up a good point. Why doesn't the mother donate a lung for her daughter? People can live with one lung.

I know that people can live with one lung, but is there a particular reason they won't replace two diseased lungs with one good lung? That would kind of help with the space issue in a child.

The mother might not be a match. Even so a transplant from a living donor is very dangerous for the donor. My husband's daughter wanted to donate liver tissue and they wouldn't do it.

They do kidney transplants from living donors all the time. They take diseased lungs out of living people all the time. So why can't you take a healthy one out and give it to someone else.

You wouldn't be able to accept payment if that were to happen - if you did, only the rich could afford a kidney.

That wasn't what the judges order said.

Keep in mind that every single time anyone gets a lung transplant someone else on the list dies, and that doctors estimate that, even with the transplant, this girl will not live long enough to have a Sweet 16 party. Do you honestly want judges interfering with the process in order to put people who have more money, or a better sob story, ahead of others?

The process is already screwed up in that it is biased in favor of people who are sicker, and thus less likely to survive. There is no way to make it fair, so the best thing to do, in my opinion, is develop rules that make sense, and then ignore the people that cry about how unfair it is.

Life sucks, then you die.

Interesting. I did not gather that when I read the link. I thought he was just allowing the child onto the list, not screwing with the priority. That being the case, I would agree. I don’t think a judge, as a non-medical professional, should have anything to do with how patents are categorized. I guess that would even be the case if all he had done was put her on the list as well then so I guess you are right.

That does bring another thing to the floor though – do you think that anyone in her position should get a lung anyway? The condition is not curable so in essence the lung is essentially wasted. It gives her another 5 years where it could give another patent decades.

While I agree with the points you make, the 5 years thing does raise one question though... what if in 3.5 years someone comes up with a cure for the disease she has and those extra 5 years would have bought her enough time to defeat this disease?

I do not believe she should get the lungs at the expense of another candidate who would have gotten those lungs under the transplant rules, but I can sure as heck understand her parents doing everything they can think of to fight for her cause.

I pray the best for them.

Immie

We have to go on what we have, not what might happen.

I also do not fault her parents. They are her parents. If I knew that killing you would save my son, there is no question as to whether or not I would do so. It might not be ethical, moral or even right but we do strange things for our children. Particularly if they are in danger.

What her parents are doing is right for them to do. They are trying to give their daughter the longest and fullest life possible.

That wasn't what the judges order said.

Keep in mind that every single time anyone gets a lung transplant someone else on the list dies, and that doctors estimate that, even with the transplant, this girl will not live long enough to have a Sweet 16 party. Do you honestly want judges interfering with the process in order to put people who have more money, or a better sob story, ahead of others?

The process is already screwed up in that it is biased in favor of people who are sicker, and thus less likely to survive. There is no way to make it fair, so the best thing to do, in my opinion, is develop rules that make sense, and then ignore the people that cry about how unfair it is.

Life sucks, then you die.

Interesting. I did not gather that when I read the link. I thought he was just allowing the child onto the list, not screwing with the priority. That being the case, I would agree. I don’t think a judge, as a non-medical professional, should have anything to do with how patents are categorized. I guess that would even be the case if all he had done was put her on the list as well then so I guess you are right.

That does bring another thing to the floor though – do you think that anyone in her position should get a lung anyway? The condition is not curable so in essence the lung is essentially wasted. It gives her another 5 years where it could give another patent decades.

that person is on the transplant list. If the lung in question is the best match for someone even if they are going to die, and no one is on the list in front of them then they should get the lung.

wasting a lung is not an option. So if it goes into someone who is going to die anyway, it still matches and buys them 5 years.

Well, of course. From what I understand though, that is unlikely. There are a lot of people looking to get a small number of lungs. I doubt that they are going to find some that only fit her and no one else on the list.

You wouldn't be able to accept payment if that were to happen - if you did, only the rich could afford a kidney.

Payment? That line of quote was in reference to the mother in order to buy her daughter some more time. Payment has nothing to do with it.

Further, your supposition makes no sense. That would not lead to the ‘rich’ being the only ones that get organs.

Every surgery carries an inherent risk. Someone with a diseased lung is already at risk of dying. When a diseased lung is removed, the risk of keeping it is worse than the risk of removing it. Removing a lung from a healthy person exposes them to a risk of something going wrong that they would not be exposed to without the surgery. Lungs are not carburetors. They are part of a heart/lung circulatory system making removal exceedingly dangerous.

A kidney removal is laparoscopic surgery. Lung removal is open chest surgery. Lung transplants require not one, but two living donor raising the risk of rejection.

Living donor kidney transplant.
Q & A for Kidney Donors

Living donor lung transplant

Living-Related Lobar Lung Transplant

Also, if she does get the transplant, what about the other kids on the list? Do they also move up above an adult? After all, if you let one child go first, its only fair to allow the other children to go first, as well...

no child should be moved up to the adult list. Period.

what you suggest is exactly what other desperate parents will want and try to do now.

MY child needs it more then YOU.

and that is why it is illegal to sell organs.

Why does this little girl have to die? In fact, why do hundreds of people die everyday waiting for transplants? The answer is pretty simple. There are just not enough organs to go around. If you have not done so, consider being a donor and giving the greatest gift you can give, the gift of life and it won't cost a single cent.

organdonor.gov | Becoming a Donor

I became a donor at the ripe old age of 11 - with my parents permission. Nearly 20 years on, I carry my organ donor card everywhere.
I wonder how long they have to harvest the various organs. I suspect that there are a lot of people that sign up and loose their donor card. I think they indicate a donor on drivers licenses now.

what you suggest is exactly what other desperate parents will want and try to do now.

Already happened:
Judge orders second sick child onto adult organ transplant list - Washington Times

Same judge, exact same circumstance. I could see parents in this situation moving and/or doing anything else to get their child’s situation herd by this judge to wave the rules.

Already happened:
Judge orders second sick child onto adult organ transplant list - Washington Times

Same judge, exact same circumstance. I could see parents in this situation moving and/or doing anything else to get their child’s situation herd by this judge to wave the rules.
there ya go. Sad the judge is caving to the sympathy card.

can i blame the parents for trying anything to save their child...no. Can i blame the judge for meddling in medical decisions...yes.

what would be funny as hell...is if the boy gets his lungs first!!!

Exactly. If you allow it to happen once, there is no reason not to allow it again, which is why this child needs to wait for a child lung.

Already happened:

While I know that these kids have much more life left in them, its like the judge is saying that the adults - likely with spouses, children of their own - don't matter as much.

Already happened:

While I know that these kids have much more life left in them, its like the judge is saying that the adults - likely with spouses, children of their own - don't matter as much.

actually... the don't have much life left in them.

and that is why they are tying to scam the system with a sympathy card.

Forum List

Back